Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

Roses and stuff

Mister Lincoln:

I like these bright Marigolds... They hold color, heavy rains do not ruin blooms and they bloom non stop here until fall...

{{gwi:282543}}

Cagney:

Lacy:

Thomas Affleck:

{{gwi:282537}}

{{gwi:282538}}

D-KO:

{{gwi:301634}}

Carefree Sunshine:

{{gwi:306801}}

Roses that are gone now....

Precious Platinum:

{{gwi:260835}}

Livin Easy:

{{gwi:267946}}

{{gwi:301731}}

Easy Does It:

Outta the blue:

{{gwi:300198}}

Petunia and butterfly:

Sunrise at Heirloom:

{{gwi:301779}}

This post was edited by jim1961 on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 22:58

Comments (51)

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Advantages of no mulch in my Chicagoland: 1) no need to pick up mulch blown on the lawn, we get strong wind topping 60 mph. 2) no icky mushrooms 3) no fungal-germination of black spots and artillery fungus 4) free volunteer plants, sowed itself from seeds of previous years.

Thank you, Jim, for excellent photography of close-up pics. My garden is too wild for close-up, too many volunteer plants: The dark-red iris volunteered itself, so do the snapdragon flowers. Three years ago Walmart sold snapdragon cheap $1 for 8-pack, so I bought $5 worth of snapdragons, and they kept re-seeding themselves, exploding in new-combo of colors.

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

More volunteer snapdragons next to Sonia Rykiel rose:

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Mini pink rose is from my daughter for Mother's day gift, Med pink is Sweet Chariot from Lowe's ... I suspected wrong label. Right is lovely sweet fruity scented Peach Drift rose:

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

More red roses from my dry Southern CA garden: from left to right, top to bottom:

​Royal Amethyst, Touch of Class Janet

Reds: Santa Isabel Renaissance,

Munstead Wood, Olympiad & the Squire

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

For Straw: Again thanks for uploading both recent photos from your excellent computer, enjoy all the eye candies from Jim's garden, hard work paid off, and better than a full course meal at the restaurant, organic way, let us continue to share the beauty. I am very impressed with both of your photos. I would like to show my little kitty friend Cocoa next, already admire Jim's lovely cat, good posture!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent photos of your garden & plants Strawbhill!
    All great looking roses Seaweed!

That pic of the double KO bush was 1st flush in very early June this year. That bush still has a decent amount of blooms on and many buds forming again...
    That certain D-Ko bush was not fertilized this Spring at all except homemade compost put on in mid May I think...

If I do not mulch some with wood chips then our pets get their paws muddy quite often...
    Of course the wood chips get brought into the house to...lol

I may plant some groundcovers or whatever someday and eliminate the need for wood mulches...

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Here's my cat: female, 4 yrs old, long hair Calico mixed, Cocoa, next to thornless Gina's rose. My cat is adopted from the shelter. I am curious about Jim's cat ....thanks for the info.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's our Viburnum Bush... Blooms only once a year... Birds like their berries...

Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice looking cat Seaweed. I see your cat likes to hang out in the garden too... :-)

Here's our Dogwood Bushes... They get a spotted fungus on them so every 2-3 years I cut them to within 3-4 inches of the ground. When I do this I get no fungus problems until 2-3 years later then I just cut them down to within 3-4 inches of the ground again. They grow back fairly fast. These were cut back to within 3-4 inches of the ground this past late April...

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm going to plant roses out here but have not decided which ones yet. So I planted zinnias which are just now starting to bloom in our area while I'm thinking...lol.

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim and Seaweed: Thank you for posting pics. of your cute cats. I enjoy seeing Jim's bushes and learn the names. Jim, your picture above ... are they in partial shade? If you get less than 6 hours of sun, then Austin roses are perfect since they won't die to the crown through a harsh winter (except for wimpy Eglantyne, but it was my fault that I dug it up before Thanksgiving to fix the soil).

Most Austin roses are hardy to zone 5b. I have a dozen Austin roses, they all survive the winter. The most disease-resistant ones are: Queen of Sweden (gave away since I can't cut for the vase), Mary Magdalene (amazing myrrh scent, like a cozy fireplace), Jude the Obscure (very good, even for wet PNW area), Sharifa Asma (Mas's and my favorite Austin), Lilian Austin (a landscape rose, can't cut), Christopher Marlowe (nice orange/salmon color, great lemon scent).

I got Jude the Obscure and Sharifa Asma at 1/2 price from Heirloom roses' last July sale. I like them so much, that I plan to get duplicates of both this coming July sale. I grew 60+ variety of fragrant roses, and both Jude the Obscure and Sharifa Asma have wonderful scents ... it's like temporary passport to heaven, and makes me forget about the aches & pains of life =)!

See my own-root Jude the Obscure below, planted as tiny band before Thanksgiving, it survived zone 5a winter, picture taken end of June. It's 100% clean in our 2-weeks of non-stop rain.

Original Author
    9 years ago

That pic above gets sun from sunrise until 2:00pm Strawbhill...
    That dark shadow you see is our American flag...

The roses that go into that space can not grow more than 3 - 3.5ft wide or they will grow into a public sidewalk where people walk...

I will keep Austins in my mind! Thanks for the info Strawbhill! I will look those roses up...

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: All the Austins I mentioned are narrow as own-roots: Queen of Sweden (very upright & tall & slender like Mr. Lincoln), Jude the Obscure (3' x 2.5") is small as own-root, Sharifa Asma is super-small & compact, Christopher Marlow is like a "flower-carpet", it crawls on the ground as own-root, but small.

Pat Austin is disease-resistant and compact as own-root. Pat likes neutral pH, she HATES ground limestone on top, became pale, so I scraped it off. She has been clean for 4 years as own-root. Firefighter is a French Meilland rose, likes it alkaline, would benefit from lime-application. Firefighter's stem gets hollow & soft if NOT enough calcium .. so when I pruned it, it's susceptible to cane-borers. I didn't know about calcium strengthen cane until this year.

When I researched on red hybrid teas, lots of cold-zoners named Alec's Red as the MOST DISEASE-RESISTANT red rose, and the MOST cold-hardy. Folks also rave about Alec's Red huge bloom & raspberry scent. Alec's Red is sold at Burlington Rose, only $11 per band. The shipping charge is cheap from CA to my Chicagoland. Burling uses a flat-rate-medium box, $12 shipping charge for 6 roses. Since 6 roses can fit into a medium flat rate box, it's cheaper to buy 6 roses from her, than fewer.

Here are the disease-resistant & cold hardy roses sold at Burlington. They are the ones I research to AVOID for my high pH 7.7 alkaline clay, but they like acidic soil & decent phosphorus like yours. I'll list the Rugosa that HATE my alkaline soil 1st, but disease-resistant:

Rugosas: Yesterday, The Hunter, Theresa Bugnet, Grootendorst, Rugelda, Gilda.

Prefer acidic soil: Reine des Violettes, Lauren, Crimson Glory hybrid tea, Fragrant Plum, Vineyard song, Sweet Chariot .. and anything with blue or purple color !!

Good disease resistant: Eyes-for-you, International Herald Tribune, Pretty Lady, Crimson glory (mildew for CA), Earth Song, Hot chocolate, Francis Dubreuil (Barcelona), English Miss, Sexy-rexy, Mirandy red hybrid tea (zone 5a hardy), Olympiad, Marie Pavie & Mary Daly.

Own-root Austin roses sold at Burlington: Benjamin Britten, Abraham Darby, and Prospero (small & compact).

If you e-mail Burling, she will send you a spread-sheet which list her roses, and what classes they belong. The classes of Hmult stand for Hybrid multiflora, they like acidic soil. She has 300+ variety of OWN-ROOT roses ($11 per band), and 100+ variety of mini-roses (only $7.50 each). Shipping is flat-rate medium-box for 6 roses.

Below is a picture of Pat Austin (disease resistant as own-root), taken after I put red-lava rocks and scraped the gritty lime off. We had 2-weeks of heavy rain:

Here is a link that might be useful: Burlington rose-list in HMF

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 10:38

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Pat Austin is the prettiest shrub that I have ever seen in my garden, and from the rose parks with bright orange blooms and glossy foliage. I visited: Chicago Botanical garden (5,000 roses), Cantigny (1,200 roses), and Elizabeth Rose Park in CT (the most roses).

Here's another shot of Pat's bloom after it recuperated from our thunderstorm ... heavy rain & strong wind that knock-down trees, plus tornado siren a few days ago:

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions Strawbhill!

If I get Firefighter he would be in a large container with a potting mix/soil...

Your Pat Austin bloom looks great... But how do the blooms do in the heat? It has been hitting 90 degrees here the past couple of days.
    How do the blooms hold up in rains?

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: My Pat gets 6 hours morning sun at peak summer, then down to 2 hrs, as the house shades it in late fall. I find that how well the blooms stand up to heat & strong wind has to do with SUFFICIENT calcium, since horticulture abstract showed that calcium helps with drought.

Few days ago the wind was up to 60 mph, and it ripped my neighbor's siding, plus the tornado siren went on. Decades-old trees got knock-down. My Gruss an Teplitz rose, with tons of gypsum (calcium sulfate) in the planting hole .....canes & blooms STAY PUT in the strong wind, and blooms last 4 days in the vase. Gruss is in exposed position, next to CPM.

CPM, or Crown Princess Magareta DID NOT have gypsum in the planting hole, one branch got broken. Firefighter DID NOT have gypsum in the planting hole, lost its one cane early spring, due to strong wind.

Last year I gave Pat Austin at least 4 application of both gypsum and sulfate of potash. I'll do that today, since Pat HATES ground limestone, and prefers it slightly acidic. Gypsum has 17 % sulfur to helps with chlorosis (pale leaves). Last year we got up to 100 degrees, and Pat was less droopy with adequate calcium, but Pat prefers partial shade, morning sun only.

Roses bred in England (Austin roses) like it wet & acidic due to England's rainy weather (pH of rain is 5.6). England has cooler climate, less intense sun than my Chicagoland, so I make sure that my Austin roses get morning sun only.

Most potting soil don't have gypsum added, only the top-rated professional Ball potting soil does, here's the result of Paul Neyron rose in that potting soil with gypsum & lime added ... with neutral pH .... PERFECT BLOOM formation:

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

What I really miss about NOT having acidic clay is I can't grow blue hydrangeas, nor blue/lavender roses. I have Blue Mist rose, but it's pinkish in my alkaline soil.

For blue/purple/lavender Burlington Roses sells Old Port, Stephen's Big Purple, Eyes for You, Baby Faurax, Baptiste LaFaye, Excellenz von Schubert, Heinrich Karsch, Lauren, International Herald Tribune, and Fragrant Plum ... these big roses are $11 per band.

From the above group, Excellenz von Schubert, International Herald Tribune (IHT), and Lauren are known as very disease-resistant, with IHT stand up to heat well. Blue Mist, Sweet Chariot, and Vineyard song are sold for $7.50 in the mini-group.

The above are disease-resistant and prefer acidic soil. With my Excellenz von Schubert (EVS), I have to put tons of gypsum (17% sulfur), more sulfur, plus pine bark (pH 4.5) in the planting hole. With our 2 weeks of rain, that rose finally produces lavender blooms, rather than pink.

I have Eyes-for-you, that one is VERY disease-resistant. Burlington sells "Pretty Lady", that one is VERY BS-resistant. I have Stephen's Big Purple from Burlington, that's more disease-resistant than Old Port .. both survived my zone 5a winter.

EVS is too big & more than 3 feet wide. But Heinrich Karsch is lavender & compact & likes acidic clay, see picture in the link below. Lavender/blue/purple look good next to orange or yellow roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heinrich Karsch polyantha in cold zone

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 11:51

Original Author
    9 years ago

Strawbhill, someday I will plant Evelyn and Pat Austin in my garden to see how they do... They look like fine roses...

This post was edited by jim1961 on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 10:00

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm still waiting for the Coral and Lilac colored Zinnias to bloom....

BUT here's the

Red Zinna flower: petals are still unfolding...

Yellow Zinnia:

Petunia:

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: I love all your flowers ... blue petunia is so precious. Zinnas are my favorite flowers, but the stores here don't carry them, will check Menards today.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I started these Zinnias from seed in late April. I planted them in the ground in Mid May. They just now started blooming here in early July. (Red and Yellow)

I started the Coral and Lilac Zinnias a bit later so they have not bloomed yet but most have buds.
    (Zinnias are out front and were never fertilized)

Petunias are in a bucket with fresh MG potting mix. These have never been fertilized.

Later this month these Zinnias should have tons of blooms. They have many buds awaiting to open...

I'll be planting roses in this outfront location next year.

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: Perfect place for compact roses, thanks for the picture. The MG moisture-control is neutral pH, vs. more acidic pH 6.5 of the regular MG potting soil.

Jim, did you use MG moisture-control potting (blue bag) for your blue petunia, or the regular MG potting soil?
    I want certain roses to be more blue ... thanks for the info.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Regular MG potting mix Strawberryhill...
    I use that in all our containers...

The petunia in that bucket grew much better and has a deeper color than the ones I planted into the ground.

Our Mister Lincoln rose blooms only lasted 18hr-48hr when planted in the ground but lasting 4 days and longer in the container with MG potting mix. Even when receiving 12+ hrs of sun. I think I can make them last even longer by providing some afternoon shade.

Original Author
    9 years ago

This post was edited by jim1961 on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 17:44

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: Thank you for those fantastic pics. of hummingbird .. and your 2 cats. Are they siblings? They look so much like each other. Your grass reminds me so much of my brother's yard in MI. My grass here don't have those cute white flowers (are they clover?). We get really ugly dandelions in alkaline clay.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes the white flowers are clovers... Bees love it!
    Yes the cats are sibling sisters... (Cagney & Lacy)
    Grass usually is burned up and brown about this time some years but we are getting plenty of rain so far.
    We also get the yellow dandelions which only lasts for a short period of time. We have not had them yet this year though...

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Jim, I like those red roses from your garden. Here are roses from my garden, picture taken July 16: Top 2 roses are Distant Thunder (myrrh scent). Middle bi-color is Secret rose (fruity scent), and bottom pink is Annie L. McDowell (thornless rose, nice musk scent).

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Here's a close-up of Annie L. McDowell rose, a thornless climber.

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Thanks for upload roses photos for me and info from my e mails to you, Straw! You do all the hard work, I am relaxed and enjoy the beauty!
    They are so fresh and smell so good 7am, release the full fragrance, best time to be in the garden taking photo of its natural look. Lucky me with the personal first hand with them!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Distant Thunder I think is a Clements rose. I never seen a pic of that rose so very nice!
    Annie looks great! Thanks for sharing that pic of your roses Seaweed & Strawbhill!

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

More roses from my garden today, July 19:

top mauve, Moon Shadow

2nd, Blue Nile, Sharifa Asma

3rd, 2 the Endeavour, Rouge Royale & the same, red rose below,

last, Fragrant Cloud, Eyeconic Lemonade, Rainbow Sorbet

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Rouge royal rose by itself:

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Roses this Saturday: Angel Face and Irish Crème

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Below picture is Love Potion rose. It is sweeter than Sweetness rose, with lovely raspberry scent. I love its shape and color.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome shots of your roses Seaweed! Thanks very much for sharing!

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Seaweed, Jim, and Sharon: I love the color of Seaweed's Rouge royal and Love Potion. What I like about Milorganite is its 4% iron, NPK 5-2-0, and the deepening effect on my lawn and roses. The 4% iron also deepened my blooms. See pink Comte de Chambord and beige Evelyn, white is Bolero rose. Rank of scents: 1st place go to Comte, 2nd place to Evelyn, and Bolero last. Pic. taken today, July 20, very hot & humid weather.

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

A bouquet taken on Friday, July 18. I like the effect red-lava rocks has on the color of Golden Celebration and WS 2000 (deep red). I get more blooms this year with red-lava rock (high potassium & high iron).

The bottom light pink bloom is Sonia Rykiel, it HATES the gritty lime I gave .. leaves turned pale, so do blooms. Sonia Rykiel was deep pink last summer when I watered with high-iron, high-potassium Wholesome Organic Molasses. Will try that again to deepen its next blooms.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Great looking roses Strawbhill!

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Nice Zinnias, Jim! Can they take partial shade? I'm expanding my front garden next year to have more flowers in front of existing roses. I should buy some Zinnias seeds for next year. Yours look very lovely.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm experimenting with these Zinnias this year. I never planted Zinnias before... These Zinnias are getting sun from sunrise (?) until 2pm then shade the rest of the day.

I can tell you this much so far. I started them from seed in the house in mid April. I planted the seedlings outside in mid May. I carefully planted them because they do not like be transplanted. So I had them in cups with MG potting mix and I used a spoon to remove carefully from the cups trying not to disturb roots. 100% of them grew.

Zinnias did not start blooming until very early July.
    And they are blooming more and more here in later July.
    I have not had to deadhead yet. First flowers in early July still look good.

These are tall Zinnias (3ft)
    They do have smaller growing Zinnias too...

But time will tell....

This post was edited by jim1961 on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 10:57

Original Author
    9 years ago

Bumblebees:

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Thank you, Jim, for the excellent shots of the bees. Amazing photography !! Those pics. help me to respect nature and all living things.

• vivekpatel
    9 years ago

Awesome Purple Rose

Original Author
    9 years ago

What rose is that vivekpatel?

• vivekpatel
    9 years ago

JIm its a purple rose.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok on the purple rose...

Thomas Afflecks buds ready to open soon....

{{gwi:282555}}

TA fighting off Powdery Mildew and blackspot at the current time... But the blooms should make up for that...lol

{{gwi:282556}}

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: Thanks for bush-shot of Thomas Affleck. I think bush-shot helps, so I'll post more bush-shots. I have 2 roses in pots: Barcelona (Kordes rose), and Rose du Roi. Both mildewed when I topped the pot with acidic pine shavings, plus constant rain. The mildew went away when I applied gritty lime.

Found a great link on anti-fungal agents for humans, which work well for plants too. It lists selenium, zinc, copper, calcium, and magnesium ... all are high in sunflower seeds. My Comte de Chambord is clean with sunflower seeds in the planting hole in this constant rain humid late August.

The link also mentioned Vitamin E and vitamin C to boost immune system. Sunflower seeds are high in both.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anti-fungal vitamins

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 13:00

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Here's my Wise Portia, more blooms this year with water from my rain barrel (pH of rain is 6 in my Chicagoland). But the lower pH-water also give it more B.S. I have just realized that while roses are blooming, more nitrogen should be added via alfalfa to make leaves for the next flush .. otherwise I get a bare bush after blooming.

Previous 3 years: Wise Portia was 100% clean with my pH 8 tap water, and pH 8 horse manure & pH 6 alfalfa meal. Now it's a BS-fest with rain-water-barrel, zero horse manure nor alfalfa.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Straw, I hope Wise Portia shakes that BS!

I do not mind if a rose gets alittle BS but I can't find to many of those yet...lol
    But I will!

This post was edited by jim1961 on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 20:23

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner