Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motownmum

Replacing Iceberg with ?????

MotownMum
20 years ago

I've been debating whether or not to dig up my Iceberg and replace it with something that is more BS resistant. Right now it is almost completely defoliated. Last year it had some BS but this year - whoa!! I guess I wouldn't mind it too much if it weren't at the front of a perennial bed in full view.

Is there a BS resistant (white) roses that you can recommend?

Comments (25)

• User
    20 years ago

White Pet, Marie Pavie, Clotilde Soupert, Gourmet Popcorn, Green Ice, Ducher for small shrubs and Prosperity, Pax, The Gift, and Sombreuil for larger ones/climbers. Ducher is a china, which may be marginally hardy for zone 6. If you start with a large enough plant, like from Antique Rose Emporium or Roses Unlimited, you may be able to get it established enough to overwinter decently when spring planted.

• Lizzym
    20 years ago

While I couldn't find anything specific as to its black spot resistant, growers report Darlow's Enigma to be disease resistant. I am very pleased with this rose, in it's second year, purchased from a Spokane grower, now at 5 ft. and continually smothered in small clouds of white flowers with yellow stamens. Can be an 8 ft. shrub or 12 ft. rambler. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: h2net

• threeducks
    20 years ago

Well, don't replace it with Fabulous. Mine has been doing the same thing (defoliating) for three years now. I've had about enough and am also looking for a decent white to replace it. Can anyone report on Margret Merrill?

• MotownMum
    Original Author
    20 years ago

HollySprings ~ I just planted a Marie Pavie this spring as I kept hearing so many good things about it. I've also seen Gourmet Popcorn listed as a favourite of many on the mini-forum.

Lizzym ~ Darlow's Enigma is another name I hear frequently on the forums. It would be too big for the spot I am thinking, but if I had more room I would seriously consider this rose. Those pictures on the link are gorgeous!

Threeducks ~ I've put a black mark next to "Fabulous" in my brain. I definitely don't need another "nekked" rose in my yard.

Is anyone growing Henry Hudson? I've heard that he is quite blackspot resistant, does not get big, and doesn't mind rubbing elbows with perennials. Any comments?

• quitecontrary
    20 years ago

Does anyone grow Pretty Lady? It's being hyped as French Lace with the disease resistance (almost) of Knockout. Any truth to this?
    QC

• MotownMum
    Original Author
    20 years ago

QC ~ after seeing a photo and reading this (below) I am quite interested in hearing more!

"Pretty Lady TM, Her pretty pastel color may look delicate. But this lady is one tough cookie. From Len Scrivens, the breeder of Baby Love, comes another breakthrough in truly blackspot resistant roses. In rose terms, think of her as French Lace on a hardy plant that blooms like Iceberg with a blackspot cleanliness that can rival Knock Out."

• Lizzym
    20 years ago

MM,
    I had Henry Hudson (previous home) and LOVED him. He sat in a small secret garden under my bedroom window among dwarf fruit trees and small ground covers, was sweetly scented, stayed small but was not small in presence. The site had medium to low light so I was surprised he bloomed so well and so long. That whole Explorer series, as far as I know, is vigorous, hardy and interesting. I'd like to try Henry Kelsey at the end of each of our vineyard rows. The link below leads to the little viennese lady that developed the explorer series. Good luck in your search. (Don't you just LOVE the hunt?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Explorer series

• MotownMum
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Lizzym,

Wow - now I really am serious about HH after reading your post. I think he is calling me. Everytime I get on the forum or internet I seem to see something about him.

"Pick me! Pick me!" How can I resist?!?!

• magda
    20 years ago

My Henry Hudson does not get any diseases and is very well behaved. There is one thing i don't like about it though: it doesn't clean after itself :) The spent flowers look quite unsightly, like little dirty rags, so I need to deadhead it quickly and regularly. No big hips either. Otherwise, it is a very nice plant. Scented and permanently blooming.

• brigittecanada
    20 years ago

I have Henry Hudson as well, and he performs beautifully. I do agree with Magda, though. When the blooms are done, they look like old wet Kleenex hanging off the branches. BUT, for disease resistance, and softly glowing flowers, he's pretty hard to beat. He's about three feet high by about just as wide at the moment; he was planted in 2002.

Regards,
    Brigitte

• Barb1963
    20 years ago

My Mom in law grows Henry Hudson, with just morning sun for maybe five hours, this rose looks great.Although her climate is alot different than yours here in Midwest Canada, I have never seen any disease on it, the occasional nibbled on leaf. Hers as they say doesn't drop spent blooms well but a little snapping will do. It looks great in bud stage aswell, a slight hue of pink opens to pure white. I think you would be happy with this rose.

Barb

• henry_kuska
    20 years ago

I grow Iceberg, Gourmet Popcorn and Henry Hudson. If I had to recommend only one, I would recommend Gourmet Popcorn.

• earwig
    20 years ago

Margaret Merill is very BS prone, much more than Fabulous.
    She is not a very prolific bloomer either. The scent is wonderful though.

• henry_kuska
    20 years ago

In northern Ohio I have grown both Climbing Summer Show and its sport regular Summer Snow (yes, the bush form is the sport - Modern Roses 11 is confusing on this point, see Modern Roses 10.) for many, many years. I still have the Climbing form growing against a fence (no winter protection). The bush form died (I do not remember if it was virused, but considering the period that it was for sale it probably was virused).

The climbing form has an interesting lime green color to its canes and leaves. The canes do not have thorns. Unfortunately, it does not set hips. I do not remember if I ever used its pollen (my "do not remembers" are not attempts to hide trade secrets; I have about 1000 roses and have kept horrible rose breeding records; plus I never was good at remembering things. I have trouble remembering my telephone number. If you don't believe me ask "watch a-ma call her" - you know, my wife).

• MotownMum
    Original Author
    20 years ago

LOL Henry!

Well I finally did it and yanked Iceberg out of my garden. It was hard to do after seeing Olga's beautiful posts of her spotless Iceberg on the Gallery.

I threw it in the trash can, then the next morning ran outside and put it in a pot of water, then I threw it in the trash can... ((sigh)) After all this silly stuff I had a serious talk with myself about how much work I am willing to commit myself to in the garden. And so out it went -- permanently.

Thanks for all your suggestions ~~ Jill

• klimkm
    20 years ago

Henry Hudson grew well in my garden but it was a Japanese beetle magnet! They loved this ones buds above all others in my garden so I got rid of it.

Grew well otherwise though. It was a shame.

• subrosa
    20 years ago

I would recommend the polyanthas Katharina Zeimet and Yvonne Rabier. For a larger shrub, the hybrid musk Prosperity. All are listed as hardy to zone 6. The link below is for Katharina Zeimet but check out the others, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Katharina Zeimet

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    20 years ago

Pretty Lady is new for me this year. It was sprayed during the season, until September. It has BS now. Haven't checked out the local plantings of KO to see how the BS compares to PL, will have to do some checking.

• long_island_rose
    20 years ago

What about White Meidiland? Lacks fragrance but otherwise is flawless (in my garden). I ditched Iceberg for the same reason. If you're like me, you won't miss it one bit.

• luanne
    20 years ago

I know Margaret Merrill has problems in the east or in hot climates but here on the West coast she gives me a prodgious number of blooms and the smell I have to have--surprized to hear she doesn't bloom much...
    LA

• mysteryrose
    19 years ago

Mowtownmum:
    I, too, am considering tossing out Iceberg. Mine are almost totally leafless although still throwing out a 2 inch blossom or two. UUUgly! I'm thinking of replacing them with Marie Bugnet. Have you thought about her? She is said to stay 3 ft tall and have a good scent. Perhaps someone on the forum can tell us about Marie Bugnet's B.S. resistance and her repeat.

• mysteryrose
    19 years ago

I've noticed one thing about my Icebergs; they are not big on fertilizer, but if given more water than other floribundas seem to need, they refoliate quickly. Some consolation.

• ohiogal
    19 years ago

I have been very pleased with a white floribunda called 'White Lightning' which has bloomed for years in my yard, even in shade. Huge white blooms. Never loses leaves, just keeps blooming.

• ohiogal
    19 years ago

Oops, I just looked the 'White Lightning' rose up and it's for sale as a tea rose at growquest.com. I think its a grandiflora. Anyway it booms off and on all summer here with large white roses.