Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's with the yellow jackets?

Posted by triple_b BC 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 08 at 3:40

I keep about ten potted roses outside my front door. They are on concrete (with a bit of lift underneath for drainage)and against light colored siding which reflects. Things get pretty cooking for them and I need to really keep up on watering. Sometimes I miss a day though.
OK I don't know if that was relevant or not but it may be. I have noticed yellow jackets on, around and in my roses lately. I also have nasturtiums planted in some pots as companions. They don't seem too aggressive yet and when I water with the can they just fly away. I am calm and they don't seem to bother with me. But what I want to know is what is so interesting for them? Could they have made a nest in one of the rose pots? How do I find out without looking for trouble? Can I wait until fall when they go to sleep and then repot the rose and destroy the nest then? Are they doing any damage to anything in the meantime?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's with the yellow jackets?

They are simply looking for food. As long as they are wel lbehaved, as yours appear to be right now, there is no good reason to do anything that could harm these scavangers which can be helping control insect pests in your garden.

o

good to know, thanks. I suppose if they had a nest in there they would be a bit more pugnacious.
Meanwhile, I hope they enjoy their smorgasboard.

o

Wasps especially like the rose slugs that are so troublesome to us this year. Definitely let them do their thing!

o

Why don't you look UP..perhaps there is a nest in the eaves of your house..If they are not agressive fine..but I would like to know where the nest is just in case...

o

I, too, think that they are drinking, resting, feeding, or all three. You'd know it if they were building a nest in your pots.

o

Be careful - yellow jackets can be very aggressive and are able to sting over and over again. They're mean buggers - nothing like wasps.

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here