Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vole_bait

Milorganite, is there a replacement for it?

vole_bait
19 years ago

I have been going organic as much as possible in last few years. This is one of the fertilizers on Malchom Manners site. I'd love nothing more then to follow his feeding schedule and fertilizers but I have some real issues using this stuff. With all due respect, I just would prefer not to use it. Mainly because of having a well water and all my neighbors around here having well water.

My question is this..

Is there a replacement organic fertilizer that would have the same nutrients for the roses in it?

TIA

Comments (16)

• michaelg
    19 years ago

Cottonseed meal has a similar NPK. You would lose the lasting source of available iron, but could get some iron sulphate (ferrous sulfate, copperas) and mix it with wet compost to make Mike's goop, which is the same iron technology as Milorganite. However, both cottonseed and sludge are low in potassium, which sandy gardeners need to supply frequently in substantial amounts.

• vole_bait
    Original Author
    19 years ago

MichaelG,

Oh I still plan to use the rest of his fertilizers which will include things for potassium and iron. I just could not agree with the Milorganite with all I have read on it.

Thank you so much for that info, it is exactly what I was looking for!

• Kimmsr
    19 years ago

Ringers Lawn Restore would be similar, made from poultry manure and other stuff, but much more expensive.

• moonwolf23
    19 years ago

ok forgive my dumb question, but whats wrong with it????

• vole_bait
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That is not a "dumb" question at all.

I just read of some that belief it leaves some "bad" metal deposits in soil. And not only that this stuff is suage sludge. You cannot use it on crops you grow edible food. And should you use it and wanna grow edible crops there you are to wait at least one year! So all those things considered I just have reservations of using such a products when there are other thing availble.

That said its just a personal choice and how you feel about using it. People have been putting suage sludge on non edible crops for years, but each person just has to decide for themselves.

• Kimmsr
    19 years ago

20 some years ago there was a problem with heavy metals in Milorganite and some people have not read anything since then that the problem has been solved and the heavy metals are no longer in the product.
    However many people simply do not want to use something with human body wastes in it.

• althea_gw
    19 years ago

Try compost & alfalfa on your roses.

Heavy metals are still in Milorganite, just less than prior 1993 when regulations limiting the amount of heavy metals in sewage sludge were adopted.

Here's a link for some history of sewage sludge.

Here is a link that might be useful: toxic sludge is good for you

• Field
    19 years ago

There is nothing wrong with Milorganite, as evidenced by independent laboratory and government tests, but some people continue to believe what was somewhat true 25 years ago. Still, no one is forced to use it, and any of the commercial organic fertilizers can be substituted -- if "substitute" is the proper word. Althea is on the right track recommending compost and alfalfa meal.

• moonwolf23
    19 years ago

ok so if human poop is bad, then why isn't horse manure and cow manure bad when it is composted or used in compost and put in veggie beds?

ok i'm gonna look at the link again and then send it to dh. He's the science genius.

• althea_gw
    19 years ago

For the record, here's a statement on heavy metal content from Milorganite's website. Since it is a table in pdf format, it didn't copy & paste clearly. I linked the page where you can go to the pdf & follow it easily.

_____
    Milorganite® 2003 Summary Table E (for Exceptional Quality) 2003 Weekly Composite Samples Values are parts per million, dry weight = milligrams per kilogram (mg/kg)

Metals of Concern and Fertilizer Micronutrients

No Observable Adverse Effect Level for Metals or Micronutrient §503.13(b)(3)

Monthly Average

Average for Year, N = 52

Variability: Low to High Monthly Average

Arsenic 41 mg/kg 1.4 mg/kg Less than 1. = LOD to 4.2

Cadmium 39 mg/kg 3.7 mg/kg 3.2 4.7

Chromium No limit** 170 mg/kg 140. 220.

Copper 1,500 mg/kg 230 mg/kg 200. 250.

Lead 300 mg/kg 57 mg/kg 34. 77.

Mercury 17 mg/kg 0.49 mg/kg 0.35 0.79

Molybdenum Likely to be 40* 12 mg/kg 10. 14.

Nickel 420 mg/kg 23 mg/kg 19. 36.

Selenium 100** mg/kg 4.5 mg/kg _4.1 = LOD 6.1

Zinc 2,800 mg/kg 510 mg/kg 400 610
    _____

These levels are below EPA limits, but still present in the product, at least as far back as 2003.

Here is a link that might be useful: regulations

• moonwolf23
    19 years ago

ummmm.......... errrrrrrr, ok this is something i'll print to dh. This is one of those chemistry and cumlative statistical things. And if i see any sort of stuff in it i tend to get worried. THen he gets all logical on me and points out what it really means, and what else may contain that.

• michaelg
    19 years ago

Ironite contains about 100 times as much arsenic and 60 times as much lead.

• moonwolf23
    19 years ago

sigh........ ok next dumb question michael g what is ironite and ummm no technical talk. I'm still trying to figure out what you meant in my hollytone questions:) very very new here and not completely totatally familiar with all the terms you used.

• michaelg
    19 years ago

Ironite is an iron fertilizer that is widely sold.

All I said about Holly Tone is that it has proportionately too much phosphorus (the middle number on fertilizer packages) to be an ideal rose fertilizer. It's better to apply two times or three times as much nitrogen (the first number) as phosphorus. I suggested mixing it with blood meal because blood meal is high in nitrogen. Or you could buy some Plant Tone instead.

• moonwolf23
    19 years ago

That part makes sence. I wasn't trying to complain very much but when reading your previous posts to me and others left my head spinning. I'm better at the softer sciences than the harder sciences. And anything that requires math, makes me run:)

• Field
    19 years ago

Ironite is a mined, soluble iron sulfate (ferrous sulfate) with about 2-4% nitrogen added. It is used as an iron supplement and pH reducer, primarily in alkaline soils.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths