Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
john cabot with white leaves

Posted by meganmarie z4 MT (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 29, 06 at 17:47

I was unable to post a message in the general rose forum. Hope this forum can help. My cabot is three years old. This is it's 4th summer in my garden. it gets sun from morning until 2pm . Has no sign of pests other than grass hoppers.Last year it grew 10' x 6' and bloomed like crazy. This year it has hardly any new canes and almost no blooms It's been a very hot summer here with most days over 93 and quite a few over 100. About two weeks ago it started sending up an albino shoot, white stem with white leaves. Now other stems are starting to pale. I have fertilized and have spread ironlite -- no change. The ground is mulched with wood chips. Any ideas what i've done wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: john cabot with white leaves

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 9, 06 at 22:03

Hi Megan,
Did you re-post over on the regular rose forum? A couple of things I can tell you are, one, you've done nothing wrong: ) Two, when you have a exceptionally hot year, it will slow down growth of roses, and you will not see blooms until it cools down.
Now why you've got albino shoots, I haven't a clue. I wouldn't fertilize any more for the year. Fertilizer late in the season makes for a lot of new growth that is easily damaged by the freezing weather that will be here much too soon. If you had needed iron, you would see yellowing on the leaves, not just pale white growth.
Anyway, re-post over on the regular rose forum. I hope you get an answer.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here