Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone use Garden Safe Fungicide 3 for BS?

Posted by phylrae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 08 at 20:04

My husband has been spraying our 75 roses with chemical sprays like BannerMax and mancozeb for blackspot for years. I have a bottle of Garden Safe Fungicide 3 concentrate that I bought mainly to help with aphids...

It supposedly is a fungicide/insecticide and miticide.
Its ingredients are:
70% clarified hydrophobic extract of Neem oil
30% inert ingredients

Does anyone here use this product? Does it prevent blackspot, and how well? I doubt it could KILL blackspot spores already existing on the plant or in the soil, right?
Thanks for your help.
Phyl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone use Garden Safe Fungicide 3 for BS?

This Neem Oil product is supposed to have very good anti fungal properties. The oil is extracted from the trees seeds using alcohol. If Black Spot is a recurrent problem I would look more closely at the soil these roses grow in to see what is missing, or not in balance, that allows this disease to be so prolific.

o

Oils can sometimes help with blackspot but they are much less effective than the products you have been using. You will also need frequent reapplications. And while roses growing in healthy soil will be more vigorous and better able to withstand blackspot infections, garden roses that are not resistant to this disease will become infected even in the most perfect of soil conditions. It has to do with a genetic lack of natural defenses. Hybridization of roses for flower form, production, color and so on has produced remarkable garden specimens, but they vary greatly in their ability to withstand BS infections. The best way to handle this disease long term is to grow varieties with high inherent resistance. Your local rose society is a good resource to find these out.

o

In recent years I have attended several rose lectures..by the local TV and Radio rose experts. Every single one has poo-pooed the using of harsh chemicals in our rose gardens. If you work to have healthy soil, stick with roses a bit more resistant to diseases in your zone..and if your roses get something you can use something organic..your roses can fight off disease

o

Absolutely make the soil you grow your roses in into a good, healthy soil which will grow strong and healthy plants that are better able to ward off plant diseases as well as insect pests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here