Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseluvr

Looking to kill some insects-but how?

roseluvr
18 years ago

I'm really needing to know a good, organic treatment for a variety of chewing/sucking insects. We're talking leaf hoppers and some kind of small, tannish beetle as chewing offenders (not japanese beetles-we don't have any here- knock on wood). The tannish beetles are the biggest offenders-they're really working their way around the garden-the sweetspires are getting the worst of it, thankfully. As for sucking-some aphids, not bad. Spider mites on a small scale. I know someone will probably suggest sulphur-I'm really hoping for something really low-tech and out of the kitchen (i.e. milk spray for powdery mildew, which does work). Thanks for the help.

bren

Comments (3)

• michaelg
    18 years ago

Sulfur is about as low-tech as it gets, but sulfur is not an insecticide. It does repel spider mites. The best thing for spider mites is to wash under the leaves using a hose attachment with a sharp cone spray. These are commonly available and not expensive.

You could pick the beetles and drop them in soapy water. Otherwise, the main organic insecticide for beetles would be sabadilla. It is moderately toxic.

I doubt if aphids on roses in midsummer are worth worrying about. In spring, I sometimes spray the concentrations of aphids with 1 TSP dish soap to a quart of water.

• roseluvr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Michael-
    I've been squishing the beetles when I see them (talk about revenge!) but I can't seem to catch enough of the buggers! They are decimating the sweetspires and the Icebergs-argh! I know that Immunox works well for them-I bought it because it is a fairly 'mild' chemical formulation-but I'd so much rather NOT have to use it as I really, really want to go low tech in the garden.

I had read about spraying the spider mites off the leaves, but it doesn't seem to be working-apparently this has to do with velocity of the water as well as the placement of the spray. Will try to change out my watering head in the next few days and see if this eliminates those pesties.

Some one had mentioned flour as an insecticide remedy at one point-but that particular thread is eluding me... any one know what flour is used for (when killing insects, that is).

Thanks,

bren

• roseleaf
    18 years ago

I have birdbaths in the rose gardens, and theyÂve helped to keep the roses clean from pests. ItÂs great to watch the birds enjoying the water and scurrying around among the rose bushes looking for bugs.

Horticulture oil can be used to smother spider mites, and as well as other beneficial bugs and their eggs. Flour could be used to control aphids, I read; you sprinkle the power on them. But a strong jet of water will knock the aphids off. Garden spiders are very effective to control aphids, spider mites, small insects For newly established gardens, I usually "plant" a handful spiders on the plants.