Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmd_zone4

Can I still plant a container-grown rose shrub?

cmd_zone4
15 years ago

Hi, I am a new member and I am new to gardening. I live in zone 4 and I bought a small rose shrub (O'Canada) late this summer. We're in the middle of a major house, yard and garden renovation so it is only now that my garden area is ready for planting. My question is, is it still safe to plant my rose shrub in the ground at this time of the year? Or would it be safer to just put the whole thing in the ground, container and all, and postpone the ground planting to next spring?

Thanks.

Comments (2)

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

You have plenty of time this fall to take that rose out of the pot and put in in your garden, you need 6 to 8 weeks before continuously freezing weather begins to put plants in and even then the plants roots will continue growing.
    There are some people that think that the first frost is the end of the growing season, but most often even after the first frost the weather moderates and is very good for growing and even when the temperatures steady to below freezing the soil temperatures take quite some time to cool down. Soil temperatures very slowly follow air temperatures in dropping.

• cmd_zone4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks a lot, kimmsr. Appreciate your help.