Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

Anything i can do now to help with thrips next year?

estreya
15 years ago

Hello, all! I'm trying to maintain an entirely no spray garden. This year, earlier in the season, i had a horrible problem with thrips. Blackspot also, but it was the thrips that really got under my skin (figuratively speaking).

There were moments i considered spraying, but i resisted temptation. Low and behold, at this point, the roses which were so terribly plagued seem almost normal. I can still spot a few thrips here and there, but it's not nearly the infestation it once was.

I'm assuming natural predators have moved in (indeed, i see littly hoppy bugs on the blooms on occasion). But ideally, i'd like to have a thrip free garden.

Is there anything i should do NOW to prevent the thrips from coming back? Is this just a cycle i need to learn to live with?

Comments (5)

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Some people wil tell you to clean up all the debris in your garden which might give some plant for the thrips to over winter, but keep in mind that also eliminates any place for the beneficial insects to over winter. Work on the soil, test it for soil pH and nutrient balance, and whatever else is needed to make that soil into a good, healthy soil that will grow strong and healthy plants better able to resist insect pests. Also work on having "stuff" growing in the garden that will help hold the beneficial insects, those that will aid greatly in controlling thrips.
    I've not seen any thrips in my gardens in many years, a few Japanese Beetles, some sawfly larva, occassionally a leaf miner or two (especially in the self seeded Columbine), but few others.

• estreya
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Kimmsr. I wonder if i do my gardens a disservice by being a bit of a "neat freak." I'm quick to pick up debris, especially fallen rose petals, though it's hard to get every last little bit up. I figure i'm compensating for the lack of "rot" by top dressing with compost every year.

What other "stuff" would you recommend i grow to attract beneficials?

Is it a good sign the thrips are nearly gone, or have i simply observed their natural life cycle?

Also, i've been reading (and clearly need to read more) about beneficial neematodes? Would that help?

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Green Lacewings, Wasps, dragonflies, and a number of other predators of Thrips cna be encourage to hang around with such flowers as Queen Annes Lace and flowers that form a similar head.
    Since nemtaodes work in the soil they are not a good control for thrips which apparently get blown in on the wind and do not overwinter in the soil.

• shadygarden_CO
    15 years ago

Estreya, I'm glad you asked that question because I have been wondering the same thing. I, too, was plagued with thrips earlier in the year, and things are better now. I don't know if it was because of some beneficial insects or because I sprayed with Ultrafine horticultural oil and baking soda at least three times.

However, I read in a book on Roses that I have (Foolproof Guide to Growing Roses, by Field Roebuck) that the "best approach is to break the two-week life cycle by destroying the larvae in the soil, along with the adults on the plant. You can accomplish this to a great extent by drenching the soil with beneficial nematodes early in the year and then spraying the young growth and the flower buds with a neem oil extract."

Then I read somewhere on this forum or the regular roses forum that j.song uses Spinosad; says it's safer, natural, and most effective against chewing and eating insects. He or she applies it with Ultrafine to control thrips. You can get Spinosad from Planet Natural. It's also called Monterey Garden Insect Spray. That company also sells beneficial nematodes $24.95, free shipping, apply in early spring. www.planetnatural.com, or www.hydro-gardens.com.

I am planning on using the nematodes for sure next spring. Hope I don't forget.

Marlene

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

You could spend a lot of money on "stuff" to control many pests and plant diseases but my experience is that if you get your soil into a good, healthy condition so you grow strong and healthy plants you will see many fewer pest and disease problems. There are those that doubt that because they are still hung ip on the "conventional" way to garden and do not understand the basic premise of Organic Gardening that plants growing in a good, healthy soil will be less desrieable to those pests and diseases.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner