Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bouquets of no-spray roses

Posted by Strawberryhill 5a IL (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 14:05

Roses can be beautiful with no-spray, less chemicals. I have rock-hard alkaline clay (pH 7.7) ... at first I fixed with peat moss, that glued up. Success with larger particles: coarse sand, compost, and pine bark (pH 4.5),

My heavy clay retains salt, so I use organics. The stable switched to wetter and more acidic bedding ... I no longer use horse manure. I used alkaline whole-grain corn meal as fertilizer with great results: shiny leaves and fungal-prevention. Here are my bouquets:

Below dark red rose is Stephen Big Purple. Dark mauve rose is Old Port floribunda. Yellow rose is Honey Bouquet floribunda.

photo stephenbouquet.jpg

Dark pink is Evelyn Austin rose, color deepened with molasses fertilizer.

photo augustbouquet.jpg

Below are Bolero rose (white) and Sonial Rykiel (pink) .. color got deepened by watering 1 tablespoon molasses/vinegar per 2 gallons of water. I get pale pink from that rose for the past 2 years until now.

photo deepsonia.jpg

Below big pink is Pink Peace rose, and the little spray of tiny blooms are "Annie L. McDowell" thornless rose, scent of lavender and lilac. Both perfume the entire room.

photo bestvaseannie.jpg

Below orange is Versigny rose, heavenly floral fruit. Yellow rose is Golden Celebration, smells like cup-cakes. Pink rose is Evelyn with floral peach scent:

photo 2af20fd0-0afb-45da-8489-e4b910f14305.jpg

Below purple rose is "Deep Purple floribunda", a disease-resistant Kordes. Yellow rose is Golden Celebration. Lavender blooms are "Rose of Sharon" perennial.

photo 027fed04-80a3-4f6a-bb91-a3e03b78c01c.jpg

Below big orange rose is "Sweet Promise hybrid tea", almost thornless, smells like apple blossoms. Evelyn rose is pink in the middle, Frederic Mistral rose is upper right.

photo 3f70a600-b8b8-40cc-bb3d-b5147192fddd.jpg

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 9:25

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bouquets of no-spray roses

Liv Tyler rose gives me lots of cut-flowers, like 40+ blooms per flush. Upper dark red is William Shakespeare 2000, salmon pink is Liv Tyler, light pink is Frederic Mistral rose, and dark pink is Pink Peace rose.

o

My favorite disease resistant orange rose is Crown Princess Magareta, pictured with Radio Times rose (pink with Damask scent), and Paul Neyron (dark pink):

photo e6fcf15b-9f4e-4b1a-8c20-d908afa2cee8.jpg

My favorite red, very fragrant rose is Firefighter hybrid tea. The pink rose is Eglantyne, heavenly old rose scent.

photo c54064ae-74d8-46d1-9812-8f6804f6413b.jpg

My new roses for this year: Jude the Obscure (beige, bought 1 month ago as a band), Double Delight (bi-color), Old port rose (mauve/red).

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 10:06

o

Spectacular bouquets, Strawberryhill. I really like the mix of colors.

Mme Pierre Oger, Marchesa Boccella and Lavender Lassie

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Mme Pierre Oger, Brilliant Pink Iceberg, and a Hybrid Perpetual

o

Thank you, Krista, for those wonderful pink bouquets. Marchesa Boccella, or Jacques Cartier, has a nice fragrance, but didn't bloom much in my alkaline clay.

The bouquets I posted all have great scents, worth growing. Jude the Obsure, Golden Celebration, Pink Peace, Firefighter, Versigny, Sonia Rykiel, Evelyn are my favorite scents.

Krista, how are the scents on your roses? What's that dark pink/mauve rose in the last picture? Thanks in advance.

Here's another bouquet with fragrant roses: Large pink is Evelyn, dark red is W.S. 2000, beige is Mary Magdalene (the best myrrh/frankincense ever!), smaller pinks are Francis Blaise rose, yellows are Honey Bouquet floribunda and Arthur Bell floribunda.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 12:59

o

Mme Pierre Oger has excellent fragrance. Brilliant Pink Iceberg has a nice, sweet fragrance.

I didn't label my pics very well, I think the dark pink is Anna de Diesbach. It's quite fragrant.

o

Thank you, Krista for the info. on fragrance. I favorite Old Garden Rose scents are Comte de Chambord and Duchess de Rohan ... great spring flush, I hope to have some blooms in fall. Here's a bouquet picked today at 93 degrees, 48% humidity:

The big orange rose is Summer Samba floribunda, blooms are large up to 5", like a hybrid tea, the scent is pear and clove, unique. The little dark pink in the middle is Yves Piaget's child, 100% thornless, grape and sweet pea scent. Yellow is Golden Celebration rose (smells like cupcakes), dark pink is Pink Peace rose (buttery floral, YUM!). Light pink is Evelyn rose, smells like floral peach.

o

Hybrid teas like Crimson Glory and Firefighter rose bloom well in the heat above 90 degrees. Here's a bouquet picked today: Firefighter is on the left (I love to stick my nose into this one, insanely fragrant, velvety soft petals). Red Crimson Glory smells like fresh soap, middle is orange Summer Samba bud, very fragrant.

o

fresh cut this morning, 3 of English rose, 3rd flush one inch smaller than the early spring - the Endeavour (planted in the ground, bare root 2010), right red - Kentucky Derby (grafted 2gal from Home Depot, better this year, fragrant & darker red as well as better shape), Prospero, bottom red (rcvd 1/3/09 from David Austin, own root, very healthy), Passionate Kisses (5 gal grafted, got it 8/8/2004, blooms like flower tree, love the clear coral pink planted in the backyard 9 years now)
I was told that Prospero not easy for the beginner, but I have been pleased with lots of them, even I knew little about caring for this one, own root better & healthier and never give me problem, just added compost & liquid fertilizer.

o

Thank you, Seaweed, for that stunning combo of vibrant colors. I love the color of the Endeavor, and reds in Prospero and Kentucky Derby (I love its swirly petals).

See bouquet below: Orange is Sweet Promise rose, Red is Firefighter hybrid tea. The huge pink bloom is Paul Neyron hybrid perpetual, 1st bloom from a tiny band. They all smell fabulous, and perfume the entire room.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 9:56

o

Here's a bouquet picked yesterday, after 2 weeks of heat above 90 degrees, no rain.

University of Kentucky experiment with marigolds in pots showed the biggest bloom diameter was achieved with chemical potassium added (fish emulsion is 2nd place, alfalfa resulted in the smallest bloom). Potassium mobility is a 3, moves very little in my heavy clay, thus best in fast-release soluble chemical form.

Biggest bloom is Summer Samba floribunda (bought end of June), fertilized with soluble molasses NPK 3-1-5. Due to the bicarbonates in my pH 8 tap water (lime), I have to use gypsum. Potassium is needed for added calcium, so I use sulfate of potash.

Evelyn rose, ruffled pink next to orange rose. Frederic Mistral hybrid tea is upper light pink. Stephen Big Purple, bought as a band early May. Fertilized with MiracleGro Bloom Booster at 1/2 dose, NPK 10-52-10.

Smallest bloom is Pink Peace (medium pink), only corn meal. Early summer Pink Peace was the biggest bloom, fertilized with gypsum and sulfate of potash.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 17:35

o

Here's info. on sulfate of potash, it's sold at Kelp4Less for $8 per lb. of soluble powder, free shipping. I prefer soluble form over granular, due to my heavy clay and the less mobility of potassium at 3, compared to nitrogen at 10 Nitrogen leaches out and contaminates ground water.

My husband grabbed the bag made by Epsoma "Potash", at $13 for 5 lbs. It turned out to be Muriate of Potash, or potassium chloride, with high salt index of 116.2, the stuff that we use to de-ice in our zone 5a winter.

Sulfate of potash has lower salt-index of 43. It's a better choice than the "Potash" sold at stores, which is the high-salt Muriate of Potash.

Due to my hard water at pH 8 with bicarbonates (hydrated lime), I add gypsum to my water to free up nutrients tie-up. It's sold for $7 for 40 lbs. bag at the feed store. There's an inverse relationship between calcium and potassium in plants. So if calcium is added via gypsum, potassium has to be added to keep it balanced.

"Sulfate of Potash (K2SO4) is a natural potash mineral that contains 51 percent soluble potash and 18 percent sulfur. It also contains trace amounts of calcium and magnesium. Potassium is second only to nitrogen in terms of the abundance needed for plants. Many crops use as much as 250# of potash per acre per year. See its MSDS data:

http://www.norganics.com/products/fertilizers/natural-sulfate.htm

Below picture of orange bloom is Sweet Promise hybrid tea rose, heavenly scent of apple blossom .. the bush is almost thornless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kelp4Less soluble sulfate of potash at $8 per lb.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 14:28

o

Here's another bouquet fertilized with gypsum (calcium sulfate) and muriate of potash, or potassium chloride with salt index 116.2. I get the big blooms, but you can see the brownish salt-damage on Versigny orange bloom.

Now I switched to sulfate of potash, a natural mineral, with lower salt index of 43 ... much better result NPK 0-0-50.

White is Bolero floribunda, pink is Liv Tyler hybrid tea, red is Firefighter hybrid tea, and orange is Versigny shrub rose.

o

Here's one experiment on the ratio of potassium and the bloom-diameter. The biggest bloom is "Summer Samba" floribunda, orange, fertilized with sulfate of potash NPK 0-0-50, highest in potassium.

Evelyn (peach on top) is fertilized with corn meal, NPK 1.6-0.65-0.4. Sonia Rykiel (bottom pink) is fertilized with oatmeal NPK 2-0.8-0.6 (lots of blooms, but small). White Bolero is fertilized with corn meal.

They all have calcium sulfate (gypsum) added for firm petals. Below is a link from University of Minnesota Extension that shows pictures of potassium deficiency: yellowing of leaf margin, and yellow spots on leaf.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of potassium deficiency

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 20:15

o

Here are my 2 favorite cut flowers: Versigny (orange), wonderful apricot/floral scent. Annie L. McDowell rose is pink-cluster, thornless, with lavender and lilac scent.

Yellow is Honey Bouquet floribunda (zero fertilizer), and white is Bolero (fertilized with corn meal, oatmeal, other grains). I like Bolero the most: 40+ blooms on a compact bush. PIcture taken today, Sept. 26.

o

I want Kim's Annie for my garden too. Bolero has been good here. It took a few years but now it is a good sized own root plant. It even flowered in the summer heat this year. The petals got burnt so I pinched off the rest of the buds until the high heat was over.

o

Hi Kitty: I have 2 Annie L. McDowell roses, lots of cuttings in case someone want them.

SteveinAustralia in HMF advised me 2 years ago to use Sulfate of Potash to deepen bloom color. My husband got the wrong one, Muriate of Potash (potassium chloride) which made the petals brownish, due to high salt index 116.2.

I tested sulfate of potash (salt index 43) on 2 Yves Piaget's children and Mirandy rose .... very pleased with deeper colors. Versigny doesn't get sulfate of potash, and is pale peachy, rather than deep orange. Here's a bouquet taken today, Sept. 29, Yves Piaget child is the lowest deep red bloom, Mirandy rose is the big upper dark-red bloom:

o

The same dark-red Yves Piaget's child at the bottom of last picture came from the same plant as the light pink bloom in below pic. That's because I put too much gypsum (calcium sulfate). It's Menards' brand of gypsum with higher % of calcium which bleached out the bloom, plus taking away its fabulous scent.

Lime (calcium carbonate) and hydrated lime are both used to deodorize, thus lessen the scent. Yves Piaget's child is light pink (with gypsum), lower left. Evelyn rose is the big bloom on the right, fertilized with cocoa mulch, then horse manure on top:

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 16:07

o

Here's a bouquet picked yesterday, Sept. 30. Middle dark red is William Shakespeare 2000 rose. Orange is Crown Princess Magareta rose, white is Bolero, and pinks are Evelyn, Frederic Mistral, and Radio Times rose.

Radio Times bloom is smallest, since I don't fertilize it. Sulfate of Potash increases bloom size and deepens the color, best used to balance gypsum (calcium sulfate).

o

this spring I was so blessed with blooms all over the garden, here is one group I want to share, far left pink, Hornorie de Brabant, Heritage, Pretty Lady top row, below 2 Cymbeline and left pink, Sharifa Asma, all are fragrant roses, like beauty pageant on my patio rose table, I adore all of them, do not use any kind of spray that would make me sick.

o

this is another example of happy floribunda, Rainbow Sorbet, such apple delicious scent, feel like a satisfied customer just finished the apple pie, yummy. I do recommend getting this rose to glorify your garden, Thank God for this one, bred from Playboy, which I lost few years ago.

o

Hi Seaweed: WOW! I love your Rainbow Sorbet bush, so healthy and loaded with blooms. That bush cheer me up, Such a great bush with an apple scent? That's on my wish-list.

I enjoy your pic. of Hornorie de Brabant, Heritage, Pretty Lady, Cymbeline and Sharifa Asma. I love swirly petals like those. Thank you, Seaweed, for sharing the treasure of your 160 roses garden!

The fruity and myrrh scents are very good in my alkaline clay, while the Old Garden rose scent like William Shakespeare 2000 is lessened. Below orange is Crown Princess Magareta, nice fruity scent. I prefer Evelyn when the bloom was yellowish, fertilized with corn-meal. Now Evelyn bloom is made smaller with my too-much-gypsum mistake. Picture taken Sept 30.

o

Nice & scented bouquet of English roses, love them all! Lucky roses in your garden are being loved and cared for! Now if I were one of the rose! God bless you!

o

Yay! My friend fixed the broken part on my camera. Here is my no spray bouquet of Pope John Paul II

o

I'm not sure who this is. I got a mislabeled plant. Maybe Valencia? It's creamy colored and sometimes toward warm peachy yellow but always very pretty.

o

Hi Kitty: I love your Pope John Paul II rose, very pretty with pink shade. Your camera takes great pics. I like your unknown rose. At first I thought it's "Amazing Grace" rose ... but you already have that? Then I thought it's "Secret Rose" ... but yours has more petals.

The closest to your "unknown" rose is "Sophisticated Lady rose", see below link ... which has both pink and peachy shade. My Honey Bouquet floribunda (yellow rose) below is blooming lots. It responds to sulfate of potash better than gypsum. It's leaves are always pale, until I give it sulfate of potash, which deepened the leaves & and the blooms.

I like gypsum (calcium sulfate) to break up my hard clay, but for bigger blooms, scent-retention, and deeper colors I prefer sulfate of potash. I don't overkill on sulfate of potash since it's a fine powder, but I abused gypsum since it's granules and sold cheap $6.99 for 40 lbs.

A few English rose growers recommended potassium when an Austin is stingy. Caldonbeck got more blooms from her W.S. 2000, by giving it tomato-fertilizer high in potassium.

Yellow rose is Honey Bouquet floribunda, purple is Deep Purple (hates chemical, best with chicken manure), and pink is Francis Blaise rose. Next year I'm going 100% organics, and use sulfate of potash only to fix my pH 8 tap water .. my garden has enough gypsum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sophisticated Lady bred by Robert Neil Rippetoe

o

If it is Secret Rose, then please see the attached, end of April, 2013. The intense sweet & spicy fragrance always made my day whenever I took a breath, and re bloom is very often with long stem, imagine, it took me two years, made up my mind to get this rose at local nursery, it has been waiting for me, finally, March 2010.
Admire your Honey Bouquet floribunda & the other roses, they are lovely, wish I could smell from the photo. And I love the photos of John Paul II & the pink & crème unknown. Glad that YOU all share your beautiful roses with us.

o

looking at your group of roses, reminds me of Pretty Lady, when it started late Aug, I could not believe, 2nd flush did so well, you know, looking from certain angle, you could not catch your breath, it is a good example of floribunda,

o

my patio table is easy for roses photos, see the attached!

2 Tess of d'Urberville, top & bottom red, center, Rock & Roll, the Endeavour, Maggie Barry, yellow Honey Perfume, bloody Hot Cocoa, pale Pretty Lady, left orange Voo Doo.
I named this Tasty roses. It was early morning Aug 3rd, 2013.

o

Hi Seaweed: Thank you for sharing your roses.

Such beautiful roses for a hot day in August ... I love the intense colors of your roses: "Tess of d'Urberville, top & bottom red, center, Rock & Roll, the Endeavour, Maggie Barry, yellow Honey Perfume, bloody Hot Cocoa, pale Pretty Lady, left orange Voo Doo."

My neighbor has Rock & Roll, the bush is always clean, she doesn't spray. I always sneak up for a sniff of her Rock & Roll, smells wonderful. Honey Perfume is on my wish-list, yellow always cheer me up.

Below is a bouquet picked Oct. 3: Angel Face, Old Port (purple upper right), and Samaritan Floribunda (orange, good fruity scent). The orange on the left is Summer Samba rose. My favorite roses are Bolero floribunda (white) and Pink Peace (lowest dark pink).

I prefer the scent of Bolero fertilized with soluble grains (corn meal and oatmeal). Last year I applied horse manure to Bolero, and the scent went harsh on me.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 19:21

o

Now is Nov. 6, my roses are zapped by frost in my zone 5a ... but there are a few blooms left on Frederic Mistral (French perfume scent) and Mary Magdalene (frankincense & myrrh).

Looking back at my summer bouquets, I miss Wise Portia (mauve) scent the most ... It's upper left in the below bouquet. I also miss Sonia Rykiel (pink), upper left. It's a wonderful raspberry rose scent. All the below roses are very fragrant ... one vase is enough to perfume my kitchen.

o

Super photos of bouquets here! Pretty Lady made my heart skip a beat! So pretty!

o

missed my roses back in Aug, Lady Guadalupe, this is on the left side of the bush, got 5gal grafted floribunda, Home Depot last year, better this year, 2nd flush, now I have a few roses but not as impressive, still smells sweet. I admit that I only pray as I sniff this rose, early spring applied half cup of Vigoro's rose food, during summer, added diluted chicken manure, followed by tap water, glad to have this rose on the front yard near the side of the house, receiving bright sun light.

By the way, admire these bouquet of roses, so beautiful, just made my days & weeks, never get tired of viewing them. I like to image that I stood at your garden busy sniffing every one of them. You are lucky to raise these healthy & strong fragrant roses. God bless you!

o

Great pics everyone! :-)

o

Hi Jim: I applaud your no-spray organic approach. I also like the pics. you posted with bumble bees. Bees love the fragrant roses I grow .. Bayer and pesticides mean bad-news for the bees and our food prices. See below:

"Clothianidin, a synthetic pesticide marketed by corporate chemical giant Bayer, has been banned in several European countries, including Bayer's home country of Germany, due to its toxic effects on honeybees. Honeybees do far more than produce honey. A vital part of the world ecosystem, they currently pollinate over a third of the food crops grown in the United States, and as such are vital to the stability of U.S. food production. Many of America's favorite foods, such as almonds and watermelon, will become scarce if honeybee populations continue to decline."

"neonicotinoids are lethal to bees and weaken their immune systems, making them more susceptible to pathogens. They say it could contribute to colony collapse disorder, in which all the adult honey bees in a colony suddenly disappear or die.

The disorder continues to decimate hives in the U.S. and overseas. Since it was recognized in 2006, the disease has destroyed colonies at a rate of about 30 percent a year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture." See link below:

Below is a bouquet of fragrant roses in my garden, zone 5a, picked Oct. 11 after light frost hit. The bees like to feed on fragrant roses with exposed stamens the most.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clothianidin Pesticide Harms Honeybees

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 11:55

o

here are the roses fresh cut from yesterday's photo, April fool's day, center Blue Moon, yellow Gold Glow, below Koko Loco, top mauve Neptune, right side of 2 Sweetness, bright orange Rainbow Sorbet, hope you can smell the fragrance of them.

o

Hi Seaweed: I love your bouquet, so natural and fresh. Koko Loco has a unique salmon color, your Blue Moon is outstanding. I love the vivid colors of your roses: Neptune, Sweetness, Gold Glow and Rainbow Sorbet.

Such great roses from your dry southern California! I checked, and your county has the least annual rainfall in the region, only 11.6 inch per year (compared to my 40+ inch. in Chicagoland). Dry climate is a blessing, considering that I gave up on roses when I was young, due to black spots .. which isn't a problem in a dry climate.

I wish I had bought more lavender and yellow roses. Below is yellow Honey Bouquet rose, and Deep Purple rose (it's actually lavender). Both smell great !!

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 11:11

o

list of the roses -
top Mr Lincoln (dk red), Tiffany (pink), Rainbow Sorbeet (orange)
2nd, Royal Highness (pink), Memorial Day (lilac pink), Top Notch (bright yellow)
Last, Sweetness (lavender), Fragrant Cloud (lipstick red), Julia Child (butter yellow) Top Notch (bright yellow), April in Paris (liter pink, spent), the morning fresh cut roses this morning.

o

Thank you, Seaweed, for another awesome spring bouquet. I love the deep orange of Fragrant cloud and deep yellow of your Top Notch rose. Your Royal Highness rose has a wonderful vibrant pink.

I put calcium citrate tablet in my cut roses to make the petals rigid and to prolong vase-life. Below is pink Radio Times rose, and white Mary Magdalene. Both are VERY thorny ... I plant them below window sill, to protect my windows from break-in. The whitish stuff on the leaves are calcium powder.

o

I'm jumping in to say what fantastic bouquets of beauty everyone has! So wonderful that these beauties are brought about with no chemicals. Am having an incredibly tough time with rust spot on my roses. Strawberryhill, where do you get cornmeal to apply in the garden?

o

Hi aztcqn: Bob's whole-grain cornmeal is sold in the Organic Section at Walmart & other grocery stores. The whole grain cornmeal has higher pH (more alkaline) than the refined cornmeal. Alkalinity is what helps with rust, rather than cornmeal itself. I already tested the refined cornmeal, it's worthless.

Several rose-growers report success putting a thin layer of woodash around roses for rust. Woodash has a much higher pH, over 12, compared to pH of cornmeal at 7.3. The advantage of woodash: high in calcium, high in potassium, plus trace elements.

A rose-grower in Southern CA, Kittymoonbeam, emailed me "I did an experiment this year. I had a row of Johann Strauss roses away from any other roses. Never one speck of any disease for 3 years in any month. Last November I mulched with pine bark and kept adding it through Feb. Guess what, Rust on most all of the plants. It's just starting with the spring flush which is unusual here. I am removing the pine bark next weekend and going back to horse manure for that bed. Kitty"

From Strawberryhill: Lower the pH, more rust. Pine bark is very acidic, at pH 4.5. Horse manure is alkaline, pH over 8 & has calcium & potassium which helps with rust. There's a U. of Nebraska paper on rust, entitled, "Medium pH and Leaf Nutrient Concentration Influence Rust Pustule diameter on leaves." Their conclusion: Plants grown in pH 5.8 medium show significantly larger rust pustules than plants grown in pH 6.5 or pH 7.9. Concentrations of Cl (chloride) and Mn (manganese) were more in high rust. In contrast, concentration of K (potassium) were less in high rust. Alabama Agriculture Cotton Research also recommended potassium fertilizer to reduce rust.

Besides being acidic, pine bark is high in manganese. I see LOWERING pH as increasing in rust. I put too much gypsum (at 17% sulfur) around Evelyn, it came down with rust. Although potassium in banana peels is safe, the downfall of sulfate of potash 0-0-20 (20% potassium, 22% sulfur, 43% salt index) is the sulfur content, which would lower the pH, thus more rust.

Both Field Roebuck (Texas rosarian) and an Australian site cited high potassium via sulfate of potash, as contributing to rust. There's another type of potassium, potassium chloride, which is NOT acidic, but higher in salt (116.2 salt index). That's recommended for use in acidic, high-rain East coast. Potassium chloride is also used to soften hard water.

My conclusion: the most documented, and successful method of combating rust is spreading a thin layer on wood ash from the fireplace around rosebush. That's OK for Michigan, where my Mom spread wood ash on top of a thick layer of leaves, and let the melted snow and rain counter-act the acidity of leaves. But wood ash is NOT appropriate for hot summer and alkaline soil, due to its very high pH over 12.

Wood ash burns both roots and human skin if in direct contact, best used if there's rain. Rain is acidic at pH 5.6 ... rust tend to occur during rainy season. Corn meal is safer to use, at pH 7.5, plus it nourish beneficial bacteria which hold pathogenic fungi in check.

Good luck to you, aztcqn, and thank you for a great question.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 13:01

o

Wow!
Strawrberryhill, Thank you for this super valuable information. Absolutely appreciate your response because at a frustrated point I resorted, unfortunately, to doing rounds with Physan mixture spray and now I'm aware that it may also disrupt the soil critters, but, all my hand-picked roses have to be stripped over and over to get rid of infected leaves!
My mom is on standing orders NOT to ever water the roses because she gets water al over them. :[ But, then the rains came, then the fog……..sigh.
I didn't read this post until after I added blood and bone as a top dressing this evening……geez, so I've just further ensured an acidy soil around my plants……..
I'm also reading with great interest your experience with gypsum…..I have used some from a 50 pound bag, but, now it's diligence about keeping water of the leaves until the blood/ bone gets used up………Nature is a fine, fine balance I'm seeing. I am eternally grateful for your information on cornmeal.

I can't get over how wonderfully you grow your roses with no harsh chemicals. Knowledge is key. Thank you for the inspiration.

o

Hi aztcqn: Thank you for your kind words, supporting balance in nature. It helps me a lot, since for the past years Bayer and chemical-promoters have been posting in this forum ... totally inappropriate for the guidelines established by Gardenweb.

Seaweed, a coastline Southern CA with heavy fog, grows the most disease-free & organic roses. Her HMF profile (Myrosetime) is absolutely stunning with 160+ clean roses.

Blood meal is reported as acidic, bone meal is alkaline (the calcium in bone meal increases pH) ... those 2 would balance each other. What's needed is potassium, best through banana peels (NPK 0-3-42, high potassium of 42).

I use tomato-fertilizer since it's higher in potassium .. helps with disease-prevention in roses. Espoma Tomato-Tone has NPK 3-4-6 (potassium at 6), low-odor.

Also less stinky is "Pennington Alaska 4-6-6 Vegetable and Tomato Dry Fertilizer", at Menards $7 for a 3 lb. bag (phosphorus & potassium at 6) with alfalfa meal, fish meal, cottonseed meal, and kelp meal. Menards also sells VERY STINKY chicken manure (Chikity-do-do), 25 lbs. for $8.99, with NPK 5-3-2.5 (potassium at 2.5). It's cheaper than Amazon prices.

For beneficial bacteria, HomeDepot sells "Niu 0.75 cu. ft. Chicken Manure". This is composted so it's less stinky. Lowe's also sells chicken manure for $3.99 for a smaller bag.

I got bullied and ridiculed for the info. I researched in the regular Rose forum, that's why I posted them here. People don't want to hear the truth, such as:

Many of the pesticides (includes fungicides) have health risks that are not known until later. May 13, 2013 was the news on Parkinson's disease "Researchers found exposure to pesticides increased the risk of developing the disease by 33 percent to 80 percent. Some pesticides were considered to be of higher risk than others, with weed killers like paraquat and FUNGICIDES MANEB AND MANCOZEB causing twice the risk for development of Parkinson’s disease ... Another recent publication found that rural residents who drank contaminated well water had an increased risk��"up to 90 percent��"of developing Parkinson’s."

Here is a link that might be useful: Pesticides and Parkinson Disease

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here