Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No spray, disease-resistant roses that you love

Posted by Strawberryhill 5a IL (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 17:12

Seaweed posted her Excellenz von Shubert rose in another thread. It's also my most disease-resistant rose planted in partial shade. This is my 3rd flush. No disease whatsoever in my alkaline clay, pH 7.7.

Excellenz von Shubert is an almost thornless rose with a great musk/old rose scent. It prefers slightly acidic soil, so I watered it with molasses NPK 3-1-5 plus potassium sulfate & calcium sulfate to lower my pH 8 tap water. No mulch, just alkaline clay.

Picture taken today, Sept. 11, at 83 degrees and 68% humidity. I don't spray, but Cantigny rose park nearby sprays their roses every 10 days.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 17:15

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No spray, disease-resistant roses that you love

Nahema, an almost thornless climber is another VERY disease-resistant rose. It's grown as a free-standing shrub in my zone 5a. This is its 2nd year, no diseases despite our humid weather. The scent is exquisite, someone ranked its scent better than Gertrude Jekyll. This rose needs lots of water & fertilizer to bloom.

o

Upper yellow rose is Golden Celebration, and the bottom pink rose is Nahema, picked yesterday at 94 degrees, the scent is divine, despite the hot weather. It looks best in real life, translucent petals that glow like butter-frosting.

Nahema rose is my favorite cut-flower, amazing scent, smooth canes, just a few thorns at the bottom of the bush.

o

Thats a beautiful group. I like the way you arranged the colors.

One of my best new no spray is Lion's rose from the Kordes Fairytale group.

o

Hi Strawberry Hill,

glad
that you have the same rose, 3rd year of my E.V. Schubert in the big pot, only organic soil, use Eleanor's VF-11 sometimes as liquid fertilizer & tap water, it releases strong sweet scent & flowers continually from early spring to the end of Aug, very pleased with this one, Healthy leaves & flowers too. I hope it will bloom again soon, neglect to fertilize for a month. Shame on me. I am going outside to do it now. Ha.......

o

Thank you, Kitty and Seaweed for more no-spray roses. I have Deep Purple, a Kordes rose, almost thornless, always clean here, the scent is clove, spicy and good.

Kordes roses are famous for disease-resistant, Roses Unlimited in SC has a large collection. Here's Deep Purple Floribunda, compact & small bush. It's the best-looking bush in my garden!

o

Marie Pavie, a polyantha rose (round & compact bush), is drought-tolerant, almost thornless, plus zero diseases. Its delightful musk scent perfumes my entire patio. The repeat is fast ... and many blooms. The beauty of this bush makes me feel like I'm in heaven.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 16:29

o

Kordes Flower Carpet (salmon), pink Knock-out, and a bit of red Knock-out, in no-water zone. I haven't watered that for 6 years ... they are buried at least 8" deep. I dump leaves on top every year.

Picture taken September 13, after 2 weeks of above 90 degrees heat ... 3rd week of no rain, the trees are wilted. I love these landscape roses: no spray, no fertilizer, and no watering.

o

Liv Tyler is my most disease-resistant hybrid tea. The leaves are thick, and dark-green. No rust, no mildew, no blackspot until this year with the new acidic wet horse manure. It came down with 10% black spots in lower leaves, not bad. It was clean before I dumped the manure.

Picture taken at above 90 degrees .. the day my kid had 1/2 day off from school, due to the high heat. Dark pink bloom is Pink Peace in front of Liv Tyler rose:

o

Christopher Marlowe's color glows, thick and glossy leaves. The scent becomes strong and unique in 3rd year ... I love it. The bush is 100% clean until this 3rd year, when I test cocoa mulch at pH 5.8 ... it broke out at 5% black spots. Will have to scrape that thick gunk of cocoa mulch off.

Below is Christopher Marlow rose, 3rd year own-root:

o

Here's Annie L. McDowell rose, bred by Kim Rupert (Roseseek in CA). It's always healthy, despite the rain or humid weather. Picture taken when it was a baby ... now it's much bigger as a climber. It's thornless, hard to find a prickle, the scent is calming lavender and lilac. One cluster can perfume the entire room.

photo bestanniebush.jpg

Below is Annie L. McDowell rose, picture taken when it was in a pot, now it's getting large as a climber in my alkaline clay:

o

"You (all of us, the rose lovers) are not greedy for roses, they are also the manifest of God, how much & how you love them, it is personal, no one can tell except you, and the joy of raising them & smelling the fragrance is such a privilege, we are so, so lucky to enjoy the paradise on earth, wonder why some people do not appreciate roses, life is how you perceive, how you handle & how you create within your own world, treat yourself like a rose, be yourself, be gentle, be kind & be very nice to yourself, look at the bright side & good side of you, not pick on yourself, be very positive, because the world has been negative enough, already is full of bad news, not enough pleasant stories around, we are perhaps the only few happy people know how to appreciate the rose, I called this rose therapy, everything about rose, lead me to enjoy my life, teach me how to live a full healthy life, even just a deep breath of rose scent, just made my day, I better stop at this point, you know what I mean".

o

Hi seaweed ... what you wrote is so true, thank you!

What's the name of the lovely pink roses above? Thanks.

My soil is limestone/dolomitic clay, pH 7.7. I check on lime as fungicide, and found this comprehensive compilation of organic pesticides and fungicides by GardenWeb, see below link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb - organic pesticides and fungicides

o

forgot to mention the name in previous reply, this breath taking pink "Sweet Surrender", 5gal, grafted, May 2005, got from Armstrong Garden center.
Another English rose, Tradescant, is shown here, I just can not help showing off this one, bare root ordered from DAVID Austin.

o

Wow! I love that deep red color of Tradescant rose. When I first got into roses, I liked pale colors ... now I gravitate toward deeper colors.

o

not to be biased against any colour of roses, I tried, and tried to buy all kind of colours, and yet, I knew, we had our own preference, some how we would be attractive to certain colours, when I picked the rose, I asked myself, do you want this one or the other? I found out that I had confused feeling, gave it time, then I ended up choosing the one, in my gut feeling that I had to get the one, the one scored the best, the shape, the colour, the scent, durability on the stem or in the vase, in other word, following AARS rating should be easier.

When I bought the first rose - bare root of Double Delight in 2002. I did not even know what was bare root but I got it because it was available in the drug store, the name was cute & the plastic wrapping showing a pretty rose picture.

Now I have lot more roses, I become more objective, will the rose be fit in zone 10 or Sunset 23? Do I have to have this one or settle for later, you know, there is always next spring, next new improved rose. I can wait!

The photo of Yves Piaget, from Armstrong Garden May 2006, I still in love with, and no need to spray, always lovely, love to share with you all.

o

Hi Seaweed: I grow Yves Piaget's thornless children from seeds, very smooth, can't find a prickles! It's bred by Robert Neil Rippetoe. I name it "SH angels", to remember the victims of Sandyhook shooting.

Below are two "SH angels" roses as 6-months old seedlings. Now they are in my alkaline clay, very healthy:

photo d0d1429e-a5c5-4fa0-a575-a52a2ac7df4e.jpg

Below is the 1st bloom of "SH angels" rose. It has more petals now, and its color lightens up like your pic. in full-sun:

o

very cute, it has the mother's feature, thanks for sharing, you have the best green thumb that I know, not bragging, they must be very happy under your loving tender care.
SH Angels is a perfect name for it.

o

Hi Seaweed: I love your Yves Piaget's bloom ... so many petals, nice color !! I still want Yves Piaget, since its children have smaller blooms, not good for vase.

Here's a bouquet of no-spray, disease-resistant roses: Kordes Deep Purple rose, Francis Blaise (pink), and Golden Celebration (yellow). All are own-roots. In my garden, own-roots are healthier in the long-run, smaller-sizes, thus less demand on water and nutrients.

o

Strawberry Hill, if you don't mind me asking, where did you buy your Marie Pavie? Very pretty and healthy looking!

o

Last Fri Oct 25, saw this lovely pink rose, smells fragrant, from the tag indicated raspberry scent, full sun, shrub, thought it would be good to have since it is pests tolerant, even poor soil would do well and low maintenance, perfect for front yard outside the fence, (no sprinklers set up), decided to take my chance, it bloomed with many petals, just soft & scented, wanted to share with you all. Bloom size 4", lasts more than one week, it is still staying well now, in 2 gal grafted pot from Home Depot, Costa Mesa, shall plant it next Jan then.

o

the previous message has not spelled the name:

Belinda's Dream, Earth-Kind, from Chamblee's Rose Nursery description,

There is another type of buff yellow Reve d' Or, also is Earth-Kind, but it is a climbing Noisette. Worth looking into.

o

Hi Prairiemoon: I got my Marie Pavie as a band-size, own-root, from Burlington Roses in CA, which is among the top 5 highly-rated nurseries (Dave's Garden Rating). Burlington has 160 mini-roses for $7.50 each, and 389 big-roses for $10.95 each. Google "the scoop on Burlington Roses" and you'll see the reviews of that nursery.

The shipping cost is cheap, one year I ordered 12 roses from Burling, and it was under $20 shipping cost .... compare that to $20 shipping & handling cost for 3 roses from Roses Unlimited.

The thornless and fragrant roses she carry are: Marie Pavie, Marie Daly (scent is even better than Marie Pavie), Gruss an Aachen, Pink Gruss, Annie L. McDowell, Sophie's Perpetual, Reines de Violettes, Veilchenbleu, Zep. Drouhin, Excellenz von Schubert, Norwich Sweetheart (mini). Plus low-thorn like Darlow's Enigma & and a good selection of fragrant polyanthas like yellow "Sunshine".

She has many fragrant Old Garden Roses such as: La Reine, Comte de Chambord, Duchess de Rohan, Grandmother's Hat, SdlM. Also a good selection of fragrant hybrid teas: Stephen Big Purple, Jadis (Fragrant memory), Alec's Red, Oklahoma, Crimson Glory, Mirandy .... plus Rugosas for acidic soil.

People e-mail her, then she'll mail them her lists of roses. I e-mail her for my selection, and pay by charge card or paypal. She's professional & honest. She used to allow many changes in my order, now she allows only 2 changes.

Burlington Rose Nursery 24865 Rd 164, Visalia, CA 93292 Phone:(559) 747-3624 Office/Fax. Below is the link to Burlington Nursery in HMF, with info. to e-mail her, plus a listing of roses that she sells.

LongAgoRoses in North Carolina, run by Linda Loe, also have 344 roses for sale, mostly Austin and Old Garden roses. She has low-thorn Pretty Jessica rose, plus thornless roses Marie Pavie, Marie Daly, Annie L. McDowell. Plus very fragrant musk Felicia. She sells them $10 per bare-root & own-root, low shipping cost, with a few dollars more for Austin roses. Linda is very nice & honest.

Google, "LongAgoRoses and HMF" and you'll see her selection in North Carolina. www.longagoroses.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Burlington Roses Nursery in HMF

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 15:06

o

Hi Seaweed: Your picture of Belinda's Dream is awesome ... big bloom with many petals, and lasts for 1 week? That's my type of rose ... Belinda's Dream is also on the drought-tolerant & disease-resistant list.

Thank you, Seaweed, for recommending Reve d' Or, Burlington Roses also sells that one.

o

Belinda's Dream, photo taken this morning before 7am, when I got it 9 days ago, the rose started to open, so with proper care, this one shall be very happy in front yard.

o

Color Magic, taken the early evening of Oct 29, the center faded to pale pink next few days, strong spicy hybrid tea fragrance, this summer I added more compost along with Amend, now the bloom looks nice shape, happy to leave it in the vase, lasts within a week, the fragrance is still noticeable after a few days. Bought it July 2004, 2gal grafted, Costa Mesa, Home Depot, it is one of the tough roses, needed not much care, easy to grow at my backyard full sun & air circulated well.

o

Wow! That Color-Magic rose is picture-perfect! I love its variation in colors. Thank you, Seaweed, for sharing your beautiful roses. My roses can't open up, too cold, will drop down below 30 tonight in my zone 5a.

I picked 3 buds today, Nov. 7: Sonia Rykiel, Mary Magdalene, and Yves Piaget child .... can't open, but still smell good.

o

There's an article dated July 29, 2013, entitled " New Studies Confirm Pesticide Exposure Major Contributor to Declining Honey Bee Populations". Pesticides also include fungicides, it stated "Researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and University of Maryland have found that low levels of pesticide exposure from crop pollination make honey bees more susceptible to the deadly gut parasite Nosema ceranae, contributing to declines in bee populations." See link below:

Queen of Sweden is known as disease-resistant rose. It's always clean in my garden, no mildew nor black spot whatsoever (but light scent). My favorite is Francis Blaise rose, clean, more flowers & stronger apple-myrrh scent. See below picture of Francis Blaise rose in my garden:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pesticide and decline in bee population

o

Queen of Sweden is very disease-resistant in my alkaline clay garden. But I gave it away since the blooms shatter within 1 day in the vase. Below is a picture of Queen of Sweden rose, with a fabulous myrrh scent.

For great pics. of disease-resistant roses, check out Pinterest board, "Easy no-spray Roses" below, by Osprey Antiques from humid Maryland:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest board, easy no-spray roses

o

Hope you would love this stripe rose, George Burns, healthy & vigorous, right under the hot sun, just so bright & flashy, sweet scent too.

o

Ebb Tide

o

another old garden rose, easy and no special care, in the ground, Honorine de Brabant, lovely.

o

Thank you kindly of this gift Queen of Sweden, English pink rose, so precious and such delicate beauty, I forever appreciate this rose from you, now it is graciously living in my garden, lucky me!!!!

o

left Veteran's Honor, right Mr Lincoln, taken only yesterday morning, before sun change the color of Lincoln, but Veteran's Honor would not mind the hot sun, staying the same color for a week, lasting good shape and sweet fragrant moderate strength, so good together before fully open.

o

Thank you, seaweed, for those yummy roses ... I love the deep purple color of your Ebb Tide (and low-thorn too). I wish I could smell your red Mr. Lincoln rose. My zone 5a is too cold for that, so I grow red Firefighter instead.

George Burns has a unique color, just like the unique personality of that comedian. Roses are like living diamonds ... Praise God for His creations for us to enjoy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here