Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Good organic thrip spray.

luxrosa
15 years ago

I did a small comparison study of white roses that were well infested with aphids, where pedicels were completely covered with the little buggers using this spray.

2 cups Listerine

2 cups water

1 tsp of canola oil, one of the few oils that disperses in water, which allows the spray to adhere to a rosebush.

After 9 days of observation, not a sign of an aphid. Not one. I looked over "Nastarana" closely and couldn't spot a single aphid on it. The spray also got rid of whitefly that was infesting my 'Bubble Bath' Hybrid Musk.

There was no rain during the 9 period time of observation, and I don't spray overhead which would wash the spray off.

Next I'm going to try adding baking soda to the Listerine spray and see if it will work as well as Cornell against foliage fungi.

Luxrosa

P.S. I had been using a garlic, onion, and jalepeno spray on my thrips and it worked well when used weekly, but I grow fragrant roses, for their rose scent and did not care for a salsa scented rose garden. The scent of Listerine lessens after a couple of days, and if it still lingers a bit, I spray my rose bouquets with all natural Damask rose water spray. This has mislead a visitor into thinking that my Old Garden Tea roses have a Damask rose fragrance, but at least my roses are thripless.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!