Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lecorbeau

yellow leaves with spots

K
19 years ago

I am new to growing roses and only have two. One is not doing very well. The second, a red climber, was doing just fine until this week when the lower leaves started turning yellow and having black spots on them. Does anyone know why it's doing this?

Also, when should I prune it? Planted it this spring.

Kate

Comments (8)

• _sophiewheeler
    19 years ago

Probably black spot, a common affliction of roses in the South. It could also just be the old age of the leaf, as we're going into autumn and leaves have a finite life span, but I'd bet on fungus. Most modern roses require spraying to retain their leaves and stay spot free in the South.

• catfishred2006
    19 years ago

I agree, its most likely black spot. A spraying of baking soda and soap and water in a spray bottle. I just add a pinch of baking soda and a tad of soap, seems works good., hopefully some one else does. Before you start spraying you need to removed all infected leafs ect. Try not to leave any on the ground

this is from http://www.koolpages.com/hokuspokus/garden/roseguide.html#BLACK%20SPOT

"Prevention is the key here:
    inspect roses weekly for the first signs. Treat small outbreaks quickly by removing infected leaves and throwing them away. Pick dead infected leaves off the ground as soon as they fall because the fungal spores will settle in the soil and will survive the winter there. Plant roses where air circulation is good around each plant and around the bed as this is effective in limiting black spot infection watering roses from above can spread the black spot fungus  water the plants at their roots early in the day. Use soaker hoses or a hose wand that prevents splashing and softens the water stream.

If an infection has set in, spray with fungicidal soap.

This safe remedy is Baking soda ( sodium bicarbonate )
    1 teaspoon Baking soda
    Ivory soap ( just a pinch )
    2 quarts of water

Spray on and under plants once a week until the infection has cleared. Lime sulphur can be used following pruning in winter and then spraying with the fungicide every ten days or two weeks when the new growth appears.
    Since the spores can survive winter both on the rose branches and in the soil, spray the soil as well as the bushes straight after pruning.

Clean all the tools you use to remove the infected leaves and branches, and wash the gloves you use to handle the diseased segments to help prevent spreading the disease to your healthy plants."

I hope I helped.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black spot

• _sophiewheeler
    19 years ago

California BS ain't Southern BS. We have near 100% humidity pretty much year round. Couple that with temps in the mid 80's to low 100's, and you have a life threatening condition for a succeptible rose. THe Cornell method works great for powdery mildew. It doesn't touch BS. The best method if you want to grow roses in the South is to get rid of the fungal nightmares and grow ones that are resistant, or research your fungicides and make your choice. Or a combination of both.

WHich roses are you growing now? THere are lots of recommendations on the Antique Forum for roses more suitable to the South than most modern roses.

• catfishred2006
    19 years ago

I do know that its not always possble to get rid of black spot with this treat ment but it does help the baking soda changing the ph on the leaf, making it harder to grow on the leaf. It may not get rid of it, but it would atleast help. I know how it is in the south, most of my family there and i just got back infact from OK. I do agree, antique are the best, stonger plants.

• K
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow! So much help! Thank you both for all the information and suggestions. I'm going to try the spray program. It's a Don Juan I got from Lowe's in the spring. I assumed if they sold it it was okay for this climate.
    Should I look for specific rose names to grow in NC on the Carolinas forum or the Antique Rose forum? The roses listed as good for organic growing may not be good for NC.

• K
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Holly Springs,
    I just found your list of good roses for the south. Great help! Thanks so much. Now I know what to look for when I decide to take on any more roses.
    Kate

• mandyy12
    19 years ago

When would you spray lime sulphur & when would you not use it??

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance you can give.

Bill.

• Kimmsr
    19 years ago

Lime/sulfur is a pretty harse treatment and maybe should be on your list toward the bottom as a last resort type of control. You should start with the least toxic means of control and if that doesn't work then proceed up the chain toward the more toxic.
    Either the baking soda (1 teaspoon of baking soda per quart of water with a couple of drops of a light oil) or a milk/water (a 50/50 mixture of fat free milk and water) applied on a schedule of every 5 days, if the plants are infected, until the infection clears up, or start the season, if you know your roses will get this, with a schedule of every 10 days.

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County