Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim_9

What's your favorite 'Orange' Rose

Tim - 9
24 years ago

Most Mail-Order Catalogs for Roses list colors and names of "Available" Roses but I have found in many cases the color description has not been what I expected. Especially with the colors "Purple" and "Orange". Do any Rosarians with experience or recommendations care to assist me?? My favorite rose qualities are fragrance, color, large blossoms, and high remondancy. Do you know of a deep purple or a bright orange??

Comments (65)

• Karen in SW Missouri - 7
    23 years ago

One of my favorites is 'Just Joey'. I too love the orangish color roses. I plan to add more.

• HG - 9- CA
    23 years ago

Lisa,

Orange Passion has a scent ??? My senses must be dead as a doornail....I have tried...and I have tried, but it doesn't show any fragrance. The bush is very hardy and a profuse bloomer and the roses hold their shape forever, for that reason alone i love it...even though they fade in the sun.....

I heard someone say that if you water your roses too much, teh fragrance gets diluted...

I'm a newbie with roses...so could this be true...???

• Lisa - CT/6
    23 years ago

Wow, am I mistaken? My Orange passion has a slight spicy scent. Could it have been mislabeled? My goodness!

• Lharrisb 9A
    23 years ago

Orange Juice, Caribbean, Pat Austin, Chris Evert, Flora Dora, Victor Borge, and Dolly Parton.

You can also obtain Signora from Arena roses. I bought one from them last year.

Hawaiian Sunset can be found at Vintage Gardens.

• Sonshyne 8 MS
    23 years ago

I have the perfect two bushes for you!

Spice Twice is the most beautiful 'orange/coral' rose I have ever seen! It is a wonderful coral color on the top of all of the petals and then a pale blush pink on the underside of each petal. They almost look hand painted. They have a wonderful ginger scent to them. :)

I also really love Joseph's Coat. This rose is multicolored and no two roses are alike. On one bloom you will see hot pink, coral, red, and yellow petals and as the rose matures it changes color. It is the most amazing rose. The blooms are very strong and seem to last forever. It is a climber though. And it has that strong classic rose scent to it. :)

• Jill 5
    23 years ago

Ditto for Cary Grant. An outstanding, beautiful orange rose.

• Pamela R - Adirondacks Freakin' 3
    22 years ago

I would ask about any orange rose, like you are doing with the excellent advice here. My experience with most orange roses are that they are more trouble than they are worth (my struggles with Mojave are still vivid in my memory.) I would stick to well known favorites like Just Joey, who has a wonderful rep, and don't believe what you read in the catalogs.
    My two favorite purples are Reine des Violettes (Hybrid Perpetual) and Angel Face (Floribunda) both of which are kind of soft tones. For vivid purple, I got a Stephen's Big Purple, but it was more red in my garden. Lovely rose, though.

• Paul 5
    22 years ago

My favorite orange rose is "Orange Ruffels" Healthy, hardy and fragrant soft orange. For deep purple try Cardinal de Richelieu. For a more reddish violet, Roseraie de L'Hay is beautiful.

Paul

• Mark 6NY
    22 years ago

I've got to say that 'Brandy' would by my FAVORITE orange rose because the foliage stays a nice, rich red color all season long, the blossoms are 5-6 inches (HUGE!!)and so richy FRAGRANT. Sometimes, although this rose is technically a hybrid tea, it will behave like a floribunda/grandiflora and just burst with blooms. I gave this rose to my mother, for Mother's Day, 4 years ago and every year it is a blessing.

:)
    Mark

P.S.: I'm also checking out 'Citrus Tease' this year...I'm not so sure if it will be a true orange, but I'll deal ::grin::

• marty_h
    22 years ago

Orange: Westerland, and Louise Clements from Heirloom Roses.

Purple: Basyes Purple, Tuscany Superb, Veilchenblau, Lavender Lassie, Melody Parfumee, Rose de Rescht.

• AJ 8
    22 years ago

Favorite orange rose is Just Joey - heavy bloomer and one of healthiest in my yard.

• Patty C 9a SoCal
    22 years ago

Judy Garland is my favorite orange. She's a total show-stopper.
    Patty

• mike_in_new_orleans
    22 years ago

For a stunningly beautiful flame orange hybrid tea, I add my vote to Cary Grant. Nice fruity fragrance, too. Huge, shapely blooms. The only drawback, it blooms sporadically (for me), sometimes going 4 to 6 weeks between blooms, but then putting out a few or a lot of blooms--its hard to predict. I have had it three years, and it does seem to get more productive in the fall.

For a geat landscape low maintenance rose, I love the floribunda "Livin' Easy" very prolific and tall and bushy. Almost never out of bloom. Buds are burnt orange to me with medium to light orange open flowers.

• NewWorldRosomane
    22 years ago

Fred Loads looks so beautiful in the books that I had to order him from New Hampshire, but he still has yet to bloom. I have no doubt that he'll be absolutely gorgeous when he finally gets around to it, though. He's supposed to be the closest rose there is to clear, bright orange.

• Jeanni
    22 years ago

Artistry is a really pretty orange rose that does great for me. Almost always has either buds or blooms showing. The flowers last too. Mine gets around 4-5' tall.

I don't get too much fragrance from it, but others have said they do. Go figure!

Jeanni

• JimW5a
    22 years ago

This same thread being featured on the "Roses" forum. When I saw this I did a double take at first then had a look to confirm that it is separate one. I also have been intrigued by Kordes Brilliant in the Roseraie catalog and mentioned that in a post. Paula? in S. CA responded saying she grew KB and it is indeed a true brilliant orange, not orangey, coral and all those other shades and tones that lead the introducer to advertise it as orange.

• wendstress z5 WI
    22 years ago

Yep - same thread is over on the roses board. In fact, I posted a photo if you want to check it out.

I love Orange Passion. As for the smell, they are smelling better as they get older. They had almost no scent in year 1. This year they have been lovely - spicy.

• GEORGEDEWEY
    22 years ago

where can I find a grandiflora rose called NEW YEAR

• jmart61
    22 years ago

George you can check these places for New Year
    Petaluma Rose Co.www.petrose.com
    Regan Nursery wwwregannursery.com

John

• susan_eelriver
    22 years ago

Signora can also be purchased as a one gallon own-root plant from Michaels Premier Roses.

Halloween (Roses Unlimited and Vintage Gardens) is a very fragrant and beautiful sofy golden orange blend.

Pat Austin is my favorite true orange, very subtle and classy.

Just Joey and Abbaye de Cluny are very light orange/apricots. Both are wonderful roses.

I love Melody Parfumee -- beautiful and disease resistant.

• ingaseattle
    22 years ago

Zone 8, Seattle: Just Joey & Brandy

• African_Violet_Lady
    22 years ago

Gingersnap has not been mentioned. It is definitely an Orange rose. My DL just bought it so we don't have a lot of experience with it yet, but it has bloomed profusely in the couple of weeks that she has had it. It is very eye-catching - we all love it.
    I just bought Oranges 'N Lemons. It is a shrub rose, but oh those blooms!! Good bloomer, roses age well and hold together and the scent is Wonderful.

Jeanette
    Texas
    zone 8b

• ketvalgal
    21 years ago

Brandy, while not bright orange, is a fabulous rose here in zone 10. Better than Just Joey as far as flower production and disease is concerned. (I like them both). Cary Grant is seriously vivid, bright orange. Really choice for that cheeto orange color. Citrus Tease is more a pink grapefruit color. Gold Medal is really nice too, but breaks quickly here and fades some. I find Chris Evert to be a little harsh compared to Cary Grant.
    I don't like purple in roses. I have the purplish Intrigue floribunda and hate it. Smells nice though.

• msanjelpie
    21 years ago

Christopher columbus - very orangy rose...

Here is a link that might be useful: Christopher Columbus

• msanjelpie
    21 years ago

Above link has changed -

Christopher Columbus

{{gwi:2103330}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Christopher Columbus (new link)

• clay2loam
    21 years ago

Pat Austin is a great orange. Austin's Tamora for orange blend. I have a yellow/red/orange garden and have had trouble getting oranges that don't pink-out (NO PINK ALLOWED IN THIS GARDEN). In orange I also have Livin Easy and Gingersnap. My roses need to be small and I like clusters so I prefer small floribundas, polyanthas and small David Austins. Around the edge of the garden, I've found a number of miniatures that hold their orange pretty well (if necessary, I clip at the first sign of pink). If you want their names, let me know. This fall I'm planting the following floribundas: Norwich Castle, Orange Sensation, Crown Jewel and Orange Moss and hoping for the best. I've picked up a few new names from these postings--thanks to all.
    I garden naturally and I agree that oranges can be touchy; so much depends on their heritage.

Maili

• wsftlf
    21 years ago

I would vote Veldfire, Magic Lantern, Spice Twice for hybrids teas. For florabundas I would have to put Gingersnap on any orange list. I have never seen a rose as orange as Gingersnap.

• seamommy
    21 years ago

Orange Hearts, found rose. It is just terribly sweet looking. Cheryl

• Poolboy
    20 years ago

Does Gingersnap have a scent? I looked at the local nursery and couldn't smell anything on it, so I ended up going with Westerland...

• Molineux
    20 years ago

My favorite orange rose is PLAYBOY. He is so joyful and bright. Unbeatible disease resistance too. Fragrance is detectible but nothing to rave about.

Another favorite is PAT AUSTIN. I've only had her a single season but so far I like what I see. The color is absolutely amazing. The rich coppery orange color has a golden pearly sheen that really takes the edge off and keeps the bloom from looking harsh. Disease resistance is among the best of my Austins. Blooms are quite lovely, deeply cupped yet have no problem opening. The flowers are also blessed with a moderately strong fruity fragrance that I have no trouble smelling (my nose is typically insensitive to fruity scents). My one complaint is that the flowers have an annoying tendency to "nodd". I've read from other forum members that stem strength improves the second or third year. We shall see.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sylviatexas1
    20 years ago

Pat Austin.
    Amazingly hardy in the Dallas area, clay & rock soil, blazing summers, soggy winters.
    Beautiful color & shape!

• genesmasher
    20 years ago

'Brandy' and 'Just Joey' are really apricot roses, not orange.
    The mentioned 'New Year' grandiflora is a true orange:

{{gwi:2103331}}

• livinez
    20 years ago

Tropicana

• sylviatexas1
    20 years ago

Pat Austin is a beautiful coppery orange.

Schulenberg is a rich pastel orange (is there such a thing as a rich pastel?) with beautiful bloom shape.

• sanantoniorose_z8b
    19 years ago

So far mine is Just Joey. However, I just got Norwich Castle it's thornless and it's bloom was slightly fragrant and had ruffle petals like Just Joey.

• marene
    19 years ago

Looking for a small coral rose (2-3') with flowers borne single or in clusters. My 81 year old mother received this with a bulb order and wants more, but cannot remember which bulb company gave it to her. Any ideas? It is not Just Joey or Safrano.

• naturalebaby
    19 years ago

3rd vote for Tropicana. The color is amazing. Mine is 30 years old, ran over with a lawn mower once, transplanted once, survived cold winters and ice storms with no protection and I never sprayed it for anything. I just ordered 3 more from Roses Unlimited.

• dedoverde
    18 years ago

To continue this thread, I saw a rose in this color family on a woman's website. It is called 'Arkansas' and I would call it vermillion. If you google for Rosa 'Arkansas" you can run across it. She has "rescued" many roses.

• mbluetyphoon
    16 years ago

Hi!

I couldn't resist replying - I recommend "Vavoom". It is a very fragrant, intense orange rose. I believe there is a small thread on the rose forum here on Gardenweb about this rose with pictures.

For a nicely shaped coral rose - I recommend "Brandy". It too is quite fragrant.

Sincerely,

mbluetyphoon

• roses_for_mary
    16 years ago

I've enjoyed Bronze Star...big & strong, on Fortuniana rootstock. Previously known as Wezaprt, it has Just Joey in its hybrid background.

Starts out orange overall, then center lightens up to apricot...stunning with WONDERFUL perfume..no wimpy-smelling roses for me :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bronze Star rose

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

I am bringing this topic back. I am have planted a Sky's the limit and a Vavoom to the front and side of it. I am considering Oranges and Lemons.. I guess I am wanting updates on how oranges and yellows are doing

• sunnyjay
    13 years ago

RAINBOW NIAGARA - HTR - Yellow with orange/pink stripes. Really gorgeous rose but it's not a solid orange. I think it still deserves a spot though as it does have a lot of orange in it.

• Zyperiris
    13 years ago

Rainbow Niagara or Marvelle is stunning in my garden. It got huge..I let it bloom and then had to whack some way tall branches that were threatening my Vavoom. The stripes are subtle and many of the roses are pinkish as well as oranish

• laboopsie
    13 years ago

I adore Living Easy, About Face, Westerland, Pat Austin. I haven't had luck with Brandy or Gingersnap.

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

A friend grew Halloween rose in Texas, it died this past winter. People rave about Halloween scent. My orange Summer Samba died this past zone 5a winter (nice fruity scent), but orange "King Arthur" (Samaritan or English Sonnet) survived.

I miss my Versigny Rose .. it was in a poor location and died this past harsh winter in zone 5a. I will order that again, also considering Lady Emma Hamilton. Anyone grow Lady Emma in partial shade? Thanks for the info. Below is Versigny rose, my favorite cut-flower, lasts 5 days in the vase, wonderful fruity scent that beat Pat Austin.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Nice orange shade on that rose Strawbhill!
    I liked "Easy Does It" colors when I grew it but I no longer have that rose...
    Sadly either EDI or Livin Easy were BS resistant here...

This post was edited by jim1961 on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 18:43

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: that's an awesome orange color. Too bad they are not BS-resistant for you, although HMF reported that Easy does it is BS-resistant. I hope you will grow healthy orange-roses ... they are so cheerful. I will start a thread on anti-fungal properties of nutrients for roses .. brewer's yeast was one of the food for roses that I saw on a YouTube.

Below is orange Summer Samba that I lost this past brutal zone 5a winter, where it got down to -25 below zero. It's a floribunda, the bloom was huge.

9 years ago

Strawbhill, I'm seriously thinking aout trying "Easy does it" again but planted in a totally different location where I can experiment... :-)

Sadly all the orange roses I have tried so far all the leaves fell off from BS.

Your Summer Samba was a great looking rose too!
    Sorry you lost it Strawbhill!

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: I notice all the orange roses I have: Summer Samba, Sweet Promise, Pat Austin, King Arthur, Versigny demand a HUGE AMOUNT of potassium to bloom and stay healthy. They also do better in partial shade. Summer Samba bloomed well when I gave it SOLUBLE MiracleGro NPK 18-24-16, but Sweet Promise is very sensitive to salt and chemical fertilizer.

Summer Samba was non-stop blooming, but had wicked thorns. What I really like is Romantica Sweet Promise 2007, very low-thorn. Since it's a French rose, it improved when I gave it ground-limestone. See Sweet Promise rose below:

9 years ago

The Oranges I had bloomed ok...Livin Easy was a bloom machine from the get go without any fertilizer used...
    But I'll try potassium for better health...
    Only location I have that gets the least sun is out front.
    That location gets sun from sunrise until 2pm...
    Other location in the back closest to house gets sun from noonish until sunset...
    Farther out into backyard some locations gets sun from early morning until 5-6pm other locations early morning sun until dusk..

No trees around our yard or house...

Nice orange shade on that Sweet Promise 2007 rose you pictured Strawbhill! :-)

This post was edited by jim1961 on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 13:44