Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's your favorite 'Orange' Rose

Posted by
Tim - 9
(t.h.clark@worldnet.att.net) on
Sun, Oct 3, 99 at 0:22

Most Mail-Order Catalogs for Roses list colors and names of "Available" Roses but I have found in many cases the color description has not been what I expected. Especially with the colors "Purple" and "Orange". Do any Rosarians with experience or recommendations care to assist me?? My favorite rose qualities are fragrance, color, large blossoms, and high remondancy. Do you know of a deep purple or a bright orange??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's your favorite 'Orange' Rose

Orange: Signora, HT. it is very fragrant, flame colored of oranges, scarlet and gold, with great repeat. unfortunately, Vintage Gardens is the only supplier.
Purple: Stephen's Big Purple (HT) and International Herald Tribune (Floribunda).

o

Westerland. Which isn't really "orange" like a pumpkin but a warm peach for me. I adore this rose for remontacy, scent, and vigor. You can grow Westerland as a shrub or a climber.

Livin' Easy is a very fine floribunda. Less pastel than Westerland, opens almost tomato colored. Repeats fast, loose semi double flowers, scented sometimes. It is stunning in my gothic garden with the black dahlias and Lava coleus. I also have a Nanho Purple Buddleia right behind it.

o

I second the vote for Westerland and Livin'Easy - adding that they are both free of any fungal problems in my partly shady garden. And I add Brass Band (Floribunda) and Playboy (Floribunda) again very disease resistant - Playboy has deep green, shiny leaves that are beautiful - it looks like a pampered houseplant all season. None of these have a strong scent in my garden. BB and Playboy are nicely rounded and shrubby, LE is tall and vase-like, Westerland is tall and graceful - could be a climber. Playboy never stopped blooming, even during the drought. Brass Band had a definite long rest during the summer. LE and Westerland carried a few blooms during the summer drought, maybe under better conditions would have bloomed all summer. All but Westerland are in bloom now.
Gail

o

• Posted by
    Paula - sf bay 9
    (bl.pxh@rlg.org) on
    Mon, Oct 25, 99 at 19:56

I have seen a huge, beautiful, glowing orange rose named 'Pumpkin' at the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden in Guadelupe Park. I don't think it's commercially available - I've never seen it listed anywhere. I was walking around the garden with a friend a couple of years ago. Neither of us much likes orange roses, but we both made a beeline for this stunning rose. If you hear of it anywhere, give it a try.

Paula

o

• Posted by
    Julie - 9a - South of Tampa
    (jbynum@kbgrp.com) on
    Fri, Oct 29, 99 at 10:58

orange - Cary Grant

o

• Posted by
    Brian Smith - 6 (Cleveland, OH)
    (brijambs@mwweb.com) on
    Sun, Oct 31, 99 at 19:48

For organic gardening (which is where you posted your question about orange roses) I would second the recommendation for Playboy, Westerland, and Livin' Easy. All three are very healthy plants and bloom well. I plant to try Brass Band in 2000, so cannot speak from personal experience.

Be aware that none of these roses have the typical high-centered hybrid tea look.

o

I strongly recommend 'Las Vegas' for strong shocking fragrant orange and 'Intrique' for a deeply saturated fragrant purple..Check to be sure they are hardy in your area.

o

Tim, I've been tempted by Kordes Brillant, which I saw on the webpage of the Roseraie at Bayfields. Looks like you'd need to wear sunglasses to look at this orange! Don't know if this is what you're looking for in an orange rose, but it sure looks interesting :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Roseraie at Bayfields/Kordes Brillant

o

my favorite orange rose is tropicana it is a truelly beautifull rose.

o

Orange Passion, sooo deep flaming orange with a spicy scent!!

o

I think Livin Easy is the best orange rose. For sure the most disease resistant!

o

Look these up, Hawaiian Sunset, informal HT (up to 50 petals!).. beautiful melon-like orange w/ fruity scent.

Ave Maria, may have a hard time finding, but deep rich orange classic high centered HT, very prissy. glossy dark green foliage.

Safrano - old tea and a grandparent of New Dawn. This is a stunning fluffy rose with the many colors in it, ie saffron, gold, apricot. very fragrant. parentage to alot of famous roses.

Just Joey-HT child of Fragrant Cloud.. buff-apricot, very fragrant. Exceptionally large blossoms (dinner plate). This is supposed to be a bloom factory, so the shrub is not eye catching, but the blooms are constant. Shiny dark green foliage is a plus. resistant to disease. Amercian FRose Society rates it an 8.

o

Does anyone have experience with 'Christopher Columbus'? I've read a description, but never seen the rose (orange).

o

Favorite orange? Oh, that's easy: 'VooDoo'!

o

One of my favorites is 'Just Joey'. I too love the orangish color roses. I plan to add more.

o

One of my favorites is 'Just Joey'. I too love the orangish color roses. I plan to add more.

o

Lisa,

Orange Passion has a scent ??? My senses must be dead as a doornail....I have tried...and I have tried, but it doesn't show any fragrance. The bush is very hardy and a profuse bloomer and the roses hold their shape forever, for that reason alone i love it...even though they fade in the sun.....

I heard someone say that if you water your roses too much, teh fragrance gets diluted...

I'm a newbie with roses...so could this be true...???

o

Wow, am I mistaken? My Orange passion has a slight spicy scent. Could it have been mislabeled? My goodness!

o

• Posted by
    Lharrisb 9A
    (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 17, 01 at 15:29

Orange Juice, Caribbean, Pat Austin, Chris Evert, Flora Dora, Victor Borge, and Dolly Parton.

You can also obtain Signora from Arena roses. I bought one from them last year.

Hawaiian Sunset can be found at Vintage Gardens.

o

• Posted by
    Sonshyne 8 MS
    (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 2, 01 at 21:58

I have the perfect two bushes for you!

Spice Twice is the most beautiful 'orange/coral' rose I have ever seen! It is a wonderful coral color on the top of all of the petals and then a pale blush pink on the underside of each petal. They almost look hand painted. They have a wonderful ginger scent to them. :)

I also really love Joseph's Coat. This rose is multicolored and no two roses are alike. On one bloom you will see hot pink, coral, red, and yellow petals and as the rose matures it changes color. It is the most amazing rose. The blooms are very strong and seem to last forever. It is a climber though. And it has that strong classic rose scent to it. :)

o

Ditto for Cary Grant. An outstanding, beautiful orange rose.

o

• Posted by
    Pamela R - Adirondacks Freakin' 3
    (renee@northnet.org) on
    Mon, Apr 30, 01 at 23:34

I would ask about any orange rose, like you are doing with the excellent advice here. My experience with most orange roses are that they are more trouble than they are worth (my struggles with Mojave are still vivid in my memory.) I would stick to well known favorites like Just Joey, who has a wonderful rep, and don't believe what you read in the catalogs.
My two favorite purples are Reine des Violettes (Hybrid Perpetual) and Angel Face (Floribunda) both of which are kind of soft tones. For vivid purple, I got a Stephen's Big Purple, but it was more red in my garden. Lovely rose, though.

o

My favorite orange rose is "Orange Ruffels" Healthy, hardy and fragrant soft orange. For deep purple try Cardinal de Richelieu. For a more reddish violet, Roseraie de L'Hay is beautiful.

Paul

o

I've got to say that 'Brandy' would by my FAVORITE orange rose because the foliage stays a nice, rich red color all season long, the blossoms are 5-6 inches (HUGE!!)and so richy FRAGRANT. Sometimes, although this rose is technically a hybrid tea, it will behave like a floribunda/grandiflora and just burst with blooms. I gave this rose to my mother, for Mother's Day, 4 years ago and every year it is a blessing.

:)
Mark

P.S.: I'm also checking out 'Citrus Tease' this year...I'm not so sure if it will be a true orange, but I'll deal ::grin::

o

Orange: Westerland, and Louise Clements from Heirloom Roses.

Purple: Basyes Purple, Tuscany Superb, Veilchenblau, Lavender Lassie, Melody Parfumee, Rose de Rescht.

o

Favorite orange rose is Just Joey - heavy bloomer and one of healthiest in my yard.

o

Judy Garland is my favorite orange. She's a total show-stopper.
Patty

o

For a stunningly beautiful flame orange hybrid tea, I add my vote to Cary Grant. Nice fruity fragrance, too. Huge, shapely blooms. The only drawback, it blooms sporadically (for me), sometimes going 4 to 6 weeks between blooms, but then putting out a few or a lot of blooms--its hard to predict. I have had it three years, and it does seem to get more productive in the fall.

For a geat landscape low maintenance rose, I love the floribunda "Livin' Easy" very prolific and tall and bushy. Almost never out of bloom. Buds are burnt orange to me with medium to light orange open flowers.

o

Fred Loads looks so beautiful in the books that I had to order him from New Hampshire, but he still has yet to bloom. I have no doubt that he'll be absolutely gorgeous when he finally gets around to it, though. He's supposed to be the closest rose there is to clear, bright orange.

o

• Posted by Jeanni z8 Savannah (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 30, 01 at 20:26

Artistry is a really pretty orange rose that does great for me. Almost always has either buds or blooms showing. The flowers last too. Mine gets around 4-5' tall.

I don't get too much fragrance from it, but others have said they do. Go figure!

Jeanni

o

This same thread being featured on the "Roses" forum. When I saw this I did a double take at first then had a look to confirm that it is separate one. I also have been intrigued by Kordes Brilliant in the Roseraie catalog and mentioned that in a post. Paula? in S. CA responded saying she grew KB and it is indeed a true brilliant orange, not orangey, coral and all those other shades and tones that lead the introducer to advertise it as orange.

o

Yep - same thread is over on the roses board. In fact, I posted a photo if you want to check it out.

I love Orange Passion. As for the smell, they are smelling better as they get older. They had almost no scent in year 1. This year they have been lovely - spicy.

o

where can I find a grandiflora rose called NEW YEAR

o

George you can check these places for New Year
Petaluma Rose Co.www.petrose.com
Regan Nursery wwwregannursery.com

John

o

Signora can also be purchased as a one gallon own-root plant from Michaels Premier Roses.

Halloween (Roses Unlimited and Vintage Gardens) is a very fragrant and beautiful sofy golden orange blend.

Pat Austin is my favorite true orange, very subtle and classy.

Just Joey and Abbaye de Cluny are very light orange/apricots. Both are wonderful roses.

I love Melody Parfumee -- beautiful and disease resistant.

o

Zone 8, Seattle: Just Joey & Brandy

o

Gingersnap has not been mentioned. It is definitely an Orange rose. My DL just bought it so we don't have a lot of experience with it yet, but it has bloomed profusely in the couple of weeks that she has had it. It is very eye-catching - we all love it.
I just bought Oranges 'N Lemons. It is a shrub rose, but oh those blooms!! Good bloomer, roses age well and hold together and the scent is Wonderful.

Jeanette
Texas
zone 8b

o

Brandy, while not bright orange, is a fabulous rose here in zone 10. Better than Just Joey as far as flower production and disease is concerned. (I like them both). Cary Grant is seriously vivid, bright orange. Really choice for that cheeto orange color. Citrus Tease is more a pink grapefruit color. Gold Medal is really nice too, but breaks quickly here and fades some. I find Chris Evert to be a little harsh compared to Cary Grant.
I don't like purple in roses. I have the purplish Intrigue floribunda and hate it. Smells nice though.

o

Christopher columbus - very orangy rose...

Here is a link that might be useful: Christopher Columbus

o

Above link has changed -

Christopher Columbus

Here is a link that might be useful: Christopher Columbus (new link)

o

Pat Austin is a great orange. Austin's Tamora for orange blend. I have a yellow/red/orange garden and have had trouble getting oranges that don't pink-out (NO PINK ALLOWED IN THIS GARDEN). In orange I also have Livin Easy and Gingersnap. My roses need to be small and I like clusters so I prefer small floribundas, polyanthas and small David Austins. Around the edge of the garden, I've found a number of miniatures that hold their orange pretty well (if necessary, I clip at the first sign of pink). If you want their names, let me know. This fall I'm planting the following floribundas: Norwich Castle, Orange Sensation, Crown Jewel and Orange Moss and hoping for the best. I've picked up a few new names from these postings--thanks to all.
I garden naturally and I agree that oranges can be touchy; so much depends on their heritage.

Maili

o

• Posted by wsftlf 8b Baton Rouge (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 21, 03 at 21:42

I would vote Veldfire, Magic Lantern, Spice Twice for hybrids teas. For florabundas I would have to put Gingersnap on any orange list. I have never seen a rose as orange as Gingersnap.

o

Orange Hearts, found rose. It is just terribly sweet looking. Cheryl

o

Does Gingersnap have a scent? I looked at the local nursery and couldn't smell anything on it, so I ended up going with Westerland...

o

My favorite orange rose is PLAYBOY. He is so joyful and bright. Unbeatible disease resistance too. Fragrance is detectible but nothing to rave about.

Another favorite is PAT AUSTIN. I've only had her a single season but so far I like what I see. The color is absolutely amazing. The rich coppery orange color has a golden pearly sheen that really takes the edge off and keeps the bloom from looking harsh. Disease resistance is among the best of my Austins. Blooms are quite lovely, deeply cupped yet have no problem opening. The flowers are also blessed with a moderately strong fruity fragrance that I have no trouble smelling (my nose is typically insensitive to fruity scents). My one complaint is that the flowers have an annoying tendency to "nodd". I've read from other forum members that stem strength improves the second or third year. We shall see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardengail's Playboy at Hortiplex

o

Pat Austin.
Amazingly hardy in the Dallas area, clay & rock soil, blazing summers, soggy winters.
Beautiful color & shape!

o

'Brandy' and 'Just Joey' are really apricot roses, not orange.
The mentioned 'New Year' grandiflora is a true orange:

o

Tropicana

o

Pat Austin is a beautiful coppery orange.

Schulenberg is a rich pastel orange (is there such a thing as a rich pastel?) with beautiful bloom shape.

o

So far mine is Just Joey. However, I just got Norwich Castle it's thornless and it's bloom was slightly fragrant and had ruffle petals like Just Joey.

o

Looking for a small coral rose (2-3') with flowers borne single or in clusters. My 81 year old mother received this with a bulb order and wants more, but cannot remember which bulb company gave it to her. Any ideas? It is not Just Joey or Safrano.

o

3rd vote for Tropicana. The color is amazing. Mine is 30 years old, ran over with a lawn mower once, transplanted once, survived cold winters and ice storms with no protection and I never sprayed it for anything. I just ordered 3 more from Roses Unlimited.

o

To continue this thread, I saw a rose in this color family on a woman's website. It is called 'Arkansas' and I would call it vermillion. If you google for Rosa 'Arkansas" you can run across it. She has "rescued" many roses.

o

Hi!

I couldn't resist replying - I recommend "Vavoom". It is a very fragrant, intense orange rose. I believe there is a small thread on the rose forum here on Gardenweb about this rose with pictures.

For a nicely shaped coral rose - I recommend "Brandy". It too is quite fragrant.

Sincerely,

mbluetyphoon

o

I've enjoyed Bronze Star...big & strong, on Fortuniana rootstock. Previously known as Wezaprt, it has Just Joey in its hybrid background.

Starts out orange overall, then center lightens up to apricot...stunning with WONDERFUL perfume..no wimpy-smelling roses for me :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bronze Star rose

o

I am bringing this topic back. I am have planted a Sky's the limit and a Vavoom to the front and side of it. I am considering Oranges and Lemons.. I guess I am wanting updates on how oranges and yellows are doing

o

RAINBOW NIAGARA - HTR - Yellow with orange/pink stripes. Really gorgeous rose but it's not a solid orange. I think it still deserves a spot though as it does have a lot of orange in it.

o

Rainbow Niagara or Marvelle is stunning in my garden. It got huge..I let it bloom and then had to whack some way tall branches that were threatening my Vavoom. The stripes are subtle and many of the roses are pinkish as well as oranish

o

I adore Living Easy, About Face, Westerland, Pat Austin. I haven't had luck with Brandy or Gingersnap.

o

A friend grew Halloween rose in Texas, it died this past winter. People rave about Halloween scent. My orange Summer Samba died this past zone 5a winter (nice fruity scent), but orange "King Arthur" (Samaritan or English Sonnet) survived.

I miss my Versigny Rose .. it was in a poor location and died this past harsh winter in zone 5a. I will order that again, also considering Lady Emma Hamilton. Anyone grow Lady Emma in partial shade? Thanks for the info. Below is Versigny rose, my favorite cut-flower, lasts 5 days in the vase, wonderful fruity scent that beat Pat Austin.

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 18:36

Nice orange shade on that rose Strawbhill!
I liked "Easy Does It" colors when I grew it but I no longer have that rose...
Sadly either EDI or Livin Easy were BS resistant here...

photo CIMG7224.jpg

This post was edited by jim1961 on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 18:43

o

Hi Jim: that's an awesome orange color. Too bad they are not BS-resistant for you, although HMF reported that Easy does it is BS-resistant. I hope you will grow healthy orange-roses ... they are so cheerful. I will start a thread on anti-fungal properties of nutrients for roses .. brewer's yeast was one of the food for roses that I saw on a YouTube.

Below is orange Summer Samba that I lost this past brutal zone 5a winter, where it got down to -25 below zero. It's a floribunda, the bloom was huge.

o

Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 11:56

Strawbhill, I'm seriously thinking aout trying "Easy does it" again but planted in a totally different location where I can experiment... :-)

Sadly all the orange roses I have tried so far all the leaves fell off from BS.

Your Summer Samba was a great looking rose too!
Sorry you lost it Strawbhill!

o

Hi Jim: I notice all the orange roses I have: Summer Samba, Sweet Promise, Pat Austin, King Arthur, Versigny demand a HUGE AMOUNT of potassium to bloom and stay healthy. They also do better in partial shade. Summer Samba bloomed well when I gave it SOLUBLE MiracleGro NPK 18-24-16, but Sweet Promise is very sensitive to salt and chemical fertilizer.

Summer Samba was non-stop blooming, but had wicked thorns. What I really like is Romantica Sweet Promise 2007, very low-thorn. Since it's a French rose, it improved when I gave it ground-limestone. See Sweet Promise rose below:

o

Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 13:39

The Oranges I had bloomed ok...Livin Easy was a bloom machine from the get go without any fertilizer used...
But I'll try potassium for better health...
Only location I have that gets the least sun is out front.
That location gets sun from sunrise until 2pm...
Other location in the back closest to house gets sun from noonish until sunset...
Farther out into backyard some locations gets sun from early morning until 5-6pm other locations early morning sun until dusk..

No trees around our yard or house...

Nice orange shade on that Sweet Promise 2007 rose you pictured Strawbhill! :-)

This post was edited by jim1961 on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 13:44

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here