William R. Smith

{{gwi:301610}}

Caldwell Pink (Pink Pet)

{{gwi:1235230}}

Madame Antoine Rebe

{{gwi:1235231}}

Cramoisi Superieur

{{gwi:1235232}}

I would love to see some of yours that do not require spray. I must get to work, but always like to include my very favorite, Souvenir de la Malmaison.

Sammy

Comments (5)

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

So lovely, Sammy! I am very, very impressed!!! to the Tee!

Sammy you have got to repost these to another thread I started at the regular rose forum!!! I did the stupid, stupid decision to begin the Resenting the Austins thread (complaining that Austins overshadow the rare and beautiful Antique roses and should be classified as a modern rose and not an antique rose) instead of the more constructive thread called "Celebrating Rare-and-Hard-to-Find roses". Krista too is going to try to help me with this.

She will be posting her beautiful and rare Marcesa Boccella rose sometime. And all of your non-Austin roses would be so perfect for that thread too!

And yes! definitely mention that you are a no-spray organics person. It can really encourage people to look at these type of roses as well. They are so lovely and you should be very, very proud of them.

Here is the thread that I am hoping you will re-forward your photos to!

Celebrating rare-and-hard-to-find-roses

I have to run off and finish a few things and won't be able to post further until tomorrow! I will post my hybrid teas later. But in my opinion, LOL! I am so much more impressed with yours! A hybrid tea is like uh, too standard and boring. People see them everywhere! LOL! not so with your roses! Hugs, and you've got some real beauties!

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Serena, you have so much enthusiasm. I think you will enjoy the Rose Forum and the Antique Rose Forum.

I have been posting my roses on that forum for years and years. There are many of us all over the world who grow "no spray" roses, and we have been sharing information and helping each other.

Unfortunately, I don't know if Kansas weather will allow you to grow many of the varieties that I grow.

SAmmy

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Sammy, sadly, the Rose Forum is highly ignorant of no-spray policies especially with regard to fungicide. And many have no inkling about ancient roses too. All they know about are hybrid teas, floribundas and Austins. Only the rose aficianados and rosarians know about the ancient roses.

If it hadn't been for my friends Krista and Karen I would have been totally clueless myself. I so regret my choices of roses now... My local nurseries refuse to carry old ancient romantic roses, they will only carry Austins, they love their Austins, LOL!

Sadly Sammy I have only the "boring roses". All of my resistant roses were resistant until September, with just a little blackspot here and there. Now when it gets cold however, the blackspot doesn't like it and will go away (which was in October).

Sammy I am first posting photos of my beautiful Gemini, the rose that is now deeply struggling. But it is truly a fighter rose and has sent up multiple new baby stems and clean baby leaves. It caught severe blackspot basically overnight, with no warning after weeks of endless rains. It used to be such a healthy, vibrant and strong rose! Look how clean and beautiful the foliage used to be!! This may help explain why I hate and dread and blame the rain.

Now here are the photos of the resistant roses that I have:

Climbing America:

Penny Lane Climbing Rose

Tiffany:

Special Occasion:

Lincoln is very resistant, only one or 2 blackspot leaves in the worst of seasons-the fall. It has very cute lively big blooms but doesn't have enough maturity yet to have its classical blooms except for 3 blooms.

Here is Aromatherapy:

Fragrant Cloud is indeed resistant. LOL! I love the taste of her rose petals (I make rose petal jam) but it is no beauty. It is just a cheery lively flower, but I often hide her because her blooms are not exactly the most beautiful.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Serena, your roses are very pretty. If you can grow those roses without spraying, then there are many others you could also grow.

My Gemini were among the first to be removed when I stopped spraying for fungus. With them were so many of my reds, including my Mr. Lincolns.

I am not sure that what we get in the fall is black spot. Cercospora is similar to black spot, and it may be the culprit. Whatever it is, many of my roses have become infected, and with so much rain, I don't think there is a remedy.

We will no doubt use different remedies for caring for roses, but our purpose will be the same -- to have beautiful gardens without using harmful chemicals.

In my zone I would not ever pick off leaves. Even black spotted leaves will protect the stems. Without leaves in the heat, the rose is really vulnerable to the sun.

Sammy

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Sammy what's so strange is that Gemini is supposed to be famous for its health and blackspot resistance. And it was soooo healthy, that blackspot only hit after we had downpours/weeks of unending rain. It used to be so clean and flawless of a rose. I too believe that because it was under such a heavy flush of blooms 45+ it didn't have any strength left to fight off the blackspot and the rains. I was soooo upset, such a beautiful and once healthy rose was a mess after those rains.

Wow, your Lincolns got the blackspot? My Lincolns are the cleanest out of all my roses in the Fall.

Sammy I want to get roses like yours and Krista's. I want to support the rare and hard-to-find roses. But I still love those hybrid teas too, but I figure I have enough HTs and will now seek the remaining last roses as the rare Antique ones.

Well, if you have time, it would be wonderful to see your rare roses at the thread. I realize that sometimes reposting is somewhat of a hassle, but I truly feel that rose forumers would benefit from learning and appreciating these special beauties...

My roses are soooo boring compared to yours, LOL!