Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

a simple list of blackspot resistant roses....

serenasyh
14 years ago

Just yesterday, October 23, 2009, wonderful Connie forwarded/emailed me a list of blackspot resistant Roses as a current listing:

Jean's No Spray List

Polyanthas:

The Fairy

Cl. Clotilde Soupert

Cl. Cecile Brunner

Clotilde Soupert

La Marne

Gourmet Popcorn

Mrs. R.M. Finch

Perle dÂOr

Phyllis Bide

Hybrid Musks:

Excellenz von Schubert

Darlow's Enigma

Gardindirektor Otto von Linne

Shrubs:

Carefree Delight

Earth Song

Pearl Meidiland

Carefree Sunshine

BelindaÂs Dream

Carefree beauty a/k/a/ Katy Road Pink

Winter Sunset

Prairie Sunrise

Knock Out

Ramblers:

Alberic Barbier

Francois Juranville

Aviateur Bleuriot

Alexander Girault

Ayrshire Queen

Paul Transon

Emily Gray

Francois Guillot

Chinas:

Pink Pet/Caldwell Pink

Arethusa

Le Vesuve

Comtesse du Cayla

BermudaÂs Kathleen

Ducher

Napoleon

Cramoisi Superieur

Little White Pet

Noisettes:

Crepuscule

Blush Noisette

Souv de Mme. LÂAdvocat

Narrow Water

Nastarana

Jaune Desprez

Reve dÂOr

Duchesse dÂAuerstadt

Alister Stella Gray

Lamarque

ChampneyÂs Pink Cluster

William Allen Richardson

Secret Garden Musk

Teas:

Lady Hillingdon

Maman Cochet

Duchesse de Brabant

Baronne Henriette de Snoy

Georgetown Lemon White Tea

William R. Smith

Rosette Delizy

Comtesse Festestics

Souv. de Pierre Notting

Rock Hill Peach Tea

La Sylphide

Le Pactole

Jean Bach Sisley

Clementina Carbonieri

Etoile de Lyon

Mme. Maurin

Alliance Franco-Russe

Mrs. Dudley Cross

Monsieur Tillier

Mme. Joseph Schwartz

Georgetown Tea

Hermosa

Isabella Sprunt

Mrs. B.R. Cant

Lorraine Lee

Enchantresse

J.E. Murphy's Pink Tea

Angel Camp Tea

Puerto Rico

Safrano

Mme. Antoine Rebe

Mme. Berkeley

Marie van Houtte

Triomphe de Luxembourg

Rhodologue Jules Graveraux

SmithÂs Parish

Cels Multiflora

HumeÂs Blush

Souv. dÂun Ami

Miss Caroline

Thomasville Old Gold

Duke of York

Niles Cochet

Mme. Antoine Marie

Mme. Lombard

Rubens

Irene Bonnet

Mme. Camille

Paul Nabonnand

Mme. de la Sombreuil

Isabelle Nabonnand

Devoniensis

Hybrid Teas:

Eva de Grossouvre

Radiance

Red Radiance

Careless Love

Maman Lyly

Lady Ursula

Climbers:

Awakening

Clair Matin

Cl. Lady Waterlow

Westerland

Autumn Sunset

New Dawn

Floribundas:

Strawberry Ice a/k/a Bordure Rose

Bourbons:

Souv. de la Malmaison

Mystic Beauty

Kronprincessin Viktoria

Souv. de St. Anne a/k/a Miss Abbot

Comments (14)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    14 years ago

Jean is from Nashville, TN, and her list is quite extensive. I have used it for years, but can you use it, Serena? I think the teas and noisettes start at zone 7. You might like some of the chinas. I don't know about the bourbons.

It was nice of you to forward that list to us.

Sammy

• wesley_butterflies
    14 years ago

All I wish to add is my god Connie sure know how to attract bees look at all that honey and not a single drop of vinegar. Very glad you asked her Serena way to go be the Bee and bring us all some honey thank you ;) I knew you was here somewhere lol I flushed you out you fun lil rose thief you he he he

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Sammy and Wes, and all the thanks back to our dear Connie and for the original Jean! Connie actually wrote me 5 long wonderful paragraphs outlining everything, difference of fragrance and blooms! What teas and perpetuals are like, all the intense details. We are so blessed and lucky having her! Krista and I actually push the zones. I have two zone 7 roses and shocker of shockers, they bloom the most out of the cold weather when all the other zone 5'ers except for Penny Lane come to a grinding halt. I'm actually a zone 6- very mild winters, but what makes us borderline 5 is that we get maybe one or two sudden one-day freezes or one-day ice storms. I figure even if I lose a rose, I can always replace it and continue to support our favorite, beloved vendors in this way.

Both Connie and Krista allowed me to see that Teas are not good for me, anyway, because their fragrance does not waft. Had they not told me all this good information, I somehow had the misconception that teas were very, very fragrant (who knows from where I got that idea, LOL)

• wesley_butterflies
    14 years ago

Ohh... Ohh... pick me..... pick me... I know.... I know... you got them from an onion field ?? Can you send that whole list over here via that e-mail thinggie plz plz plz
    ganna steel yours too sammy heres wishing me luck

thanks
    P.S. someone is looking for you in the general forum they need to see that awsum pic uploading and posting thing you got. I tried finidng it but my thinking cap is lost.

• hidden oasis (7b)
    7 years ago

Hello, first time posting on the Organic Rose Growing forum, hi everyone.

Been searching for a list of black spot-resistant roses, and this is a great one! Thank you to Serena for posting this, and thank you to Connie and Jean.

Just wondering if anyone in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic U.S. area might have any additional black spot-resistant roses to add to this list?

I'm looking for a black spot-resistant rose with large, fragrant flowers in a cool-toned pink, preferably with an Old rose / Antique rose style bloom form. I love the look of this Madame Isaac Pereire but am concerned about trying to grow a Bourbon rose in the black-spotty Atlantic 7b area.

• Terri S
    7 years ago

Hi Hidden, Welcome! I am in zone 6 in south central PA. Here Mary Roses seem very resistant as far as the pinks go. Beverly is too but her form is more traditional. Heritage is very David Austin in form and has a lovely scent.

Here is something to consider though. I have planted the same roses in two locations on the property. One rose will get get black spot and one will not. Rather than blame it on the rose, I imagine it has to do with growing conditions like sun and airflow or the weather in general.

Since BS and Powdery Mildew are the 2 banes of my roses I thought I would share this. I just re-watched Gardeners World season 2016 episode 22. Monty Don, my guru for organic gardening, mentioned that Powdery Mildew was caused by the plant being too dry. I had never considered that. So this year at the first sign of PM on my roses or clematis or honeysuckle, etc I am upping my watering frequency.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago

Terri, I've read that spraying the plant with water helps with powdery mildew. Someone also posted a study where they dunked the rose in very hot water to kill the spores. I actually did that with a sickly pm'ed Drift rose I bought distressed from Lowe's and it really worked. Of course, that was a little gallon easily inverted; I don't know how one could apply that to one in the ground! Good to know actually watering the rose can help.

For me in Z6a/b New Dawn, Summer Romance, Dark Desire, Munstead Wood and Viking Queen were all exceptionally BS resistant as were Red and Pink Drift. I also had the experience where one Darcey Bussell developed BS, while the one next to it didn't. However, this was late in the season and these were bushes marked down in August and not planted until mid-August, so they were probably weak to start with.

• Terri S
    7 years ago

Does your new dawn rebloom? I had her and she was very aggressive but one flush and she was done.

• Terri S
    7 years ago

It is such a pretty flower.

• hidden oasis (7b)
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for the recommendations Terri and Vaporvac! I'm seriously considering the Beverly for my pink rose now.

Munstead Wood is also on my list, but I do like the Dark Desire a lot. Do you find that they're very similar? Or is one more blackspot-resistant, fragrant, larger, bushier etc. than the other?

• lavenderlacezone8
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Welcome Hidden! I'm not quite in your zone but planted Madame IP and so far, so good on the BS.

Heritage and New Dawn have been super clean for me also.

Kordes First Crush was much pinker for me than the photos and I really liked how her cool undertones went with my purples in the vase. VV says hers had a great scent and mine are quite strong.. VV, meant to ask you how the foliage did for you?

Beverly does super for everybody in the world except for me so hoping she takes off this spring! She arrived at the same time as a lot of my other Kordes but is a couple of feet smaller now and didn't have any scent. But I've heard great things so fingers crossed!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago

LL, I can't comment on 1st Crush yet as I bought her as a pitiful $5 plant from Lowe's in October. She was straggly, but immediately started pushing out growth and seems to have weathered the cold spell quite well so far. I'll update in the Fall. None of my roses I got in the Spring had any BS until a 50yr rain in late August. 5" in one hour was just too much! Plus, I didn't have any mulch under those bushes. My bad!

• lavenderlacezone8
    7 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of rain. I thought that we had erratic weather! Did everything drain OK for you or did you have problems?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting