Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Who are you?

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
14 years ago

I have clicked on this Forum from time to time, and then drifted on, but I would like to meet you, and introduce myself.

My name is Sammy and I love roses. My garden is a special haven to me that gives me a sense of pleasure, and an escape from so much excitement in a world of teaching Spanish to 16 year olds. I can wander freely, grow what I want, work hard or sit and relax. My garden invites my mind to dream about what my grandmother or her grandmother may have been doing or thinking. It connects me with my Dad who also was an avid gardener.

My interests lie with the garden and the plant more than with promoting a given bloom. I am interested in the local rose society, and working with my dogs.

I have adult children, a wonderful husband and 3 golden retrievers.

So, how about you? Who are you?

Sammy

Comments (11)

• User
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Sammy. I'm James and am new to rose gardening. I've got the rose bug BAD like so many here on these forums do. I've been lurking here for a while and have learned a lot. I have 30(+-) young roses in small pots waiting for next spring to be put in the ground. I can't wait!

James

• wesley_butterflies
    14 years ago

Hi Sammy nice to met you may call me wes (CAP W is optional all caps means I've upset you it will always look like this WES )I will sleep well knowing I've upset you but do read on it'll tell how I react to that.
    I'm a slow typer so I hope you can't read to fast.This is just my humor that's sneaking out try to get use to it as fast as you can read as this houmor isnt going anywhere any time soon.
    I will never get a chance to shovel prune my two children it is they who send this very direct message to me on any and all of my gardens and every plant with in. All aside form that fun stuff it is that wonderfully charming piece of eye candy I often make reference to as Mrs. on some of my post and feed backs More often in real live I call her " The Lovley Linda". She's a RN and goes to her job and office with out my sense of humor, but does get to enjoy it with me when she/we are home. Take my word for it when it comes to the two children who can't ever get shovel pruned by me. It's simply because they are both very well behind her in every way. I like this problem very very much. However that indoor only cat is there only pet which is very very lucky to also not of received a shovel prunning either. Reason? Well it stands behind the children. That's how the pecking order works here my Mrs. is the boss what she says goes and that's that. I have never had to reach behind her should the children disagree and the cat is behind them making this shovel prunning idea a task I best not ever attempt it just wont serve me well.

Thus she has made a few request in this order over the past few years
    1) I want some flowers so off to the store went
    2) I want to see some butterflies so back to the store I went again
    3 I want some Blue Hydrangeas then I only thought out loud to my self on the way to the store Ohh shucks!! I still made it there.

It was I who said HUN I want you to have some roses. She said well go get em them and have fun, but DONOT bother my Blue Hydrangeas in any way shape or form. The problem here is she knows I don't like em at all. Very unfortunate for me huh ? However she does use em for shows,and guess what? Yep it's the thrill she has when she brings them ribbons home that makes all my hated efforts working them for her well worth evry minute in there. What I mean here is, I do love to see her every god given smile and hear her voice when she speaks. It is this that very thing that says to me. I have found a single source of beauty that brings me a great and bountiful treasure every single day. Which I will protect with my very insignificant life .
    I named this area of her blue things " The West Wall Garden" I don't post in Hydrangeas cause some of them could make a high priest turn into a drinking man. I just wish not to go there in fear of this possible sin. The butterfly garden is doing it's thing. Fhew finally I do read from that forum and post there on events they wont make a better man drink thank God for that they're a very suttle people and masters of this act. In a nut shell all of us are looking forward to it's every season in that garden now its kind of cool free fluttering colors to boot that's a big bonus and simly free.
    The now sixteen roses in four different areas or beds don't have real names as of yet but massive replanting with some new and old roses being added will finish off this one small lil problem and give me names for them rose gardens or beds if I may. As it is right now the best name I could come up with right now is road side roses. No kidding your right thats a yuckk what kind of name is that for a rose bed or two.

You could think of me as a newbie to this webb posting site, but that don't make me dumb. I'll take any and every effort that I can think of to get to a solution and I do love to think. It's a very dangerous weapon sometimes working up in my head, but when I am done with this AKA thinking. I'll give my response in my fun loving manner which is in my goal of not to down play someone's or anyones asking a sometimes difficult to ask question and I will support an off beat opinion or idea no matter of it's place. I conclude with I have been organic gardening since 2007. I'll jump in the way if you get startled by a bee. I won't ever tell you to pick up your dropped litter I will just do this task for you and bid you a nice day and await your return so I may share my single treasure with you. Opps you don't know this treasure I don't mean to be rude. Here have one :)
    It's very nice to of met you Sammy

Who wants to be next to say hi to Sammy
    Fun Fact:

During WW II the Dutch dug out there tulips and ate the bulbs. Tulips are in the onion family with this in mind no war of roses was ever as ugly as a battle over onions arn't we all lucky is was only roses back there? Imagine if it where onions Hmmm and Tulips aren't even as pretty in comparison to a rose in my opinion.

Hmmm nobody Ok then... I'll pick

Say Hi now new friend ;) you know who you are. I know your here, don't make me come and get you lol

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi James,
    It is nice to know you. The wisest thing a new gardener can do is to read in advance, and be prepared for growing roses.

Sammy

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wes, if you grow roses, and if you are interested in organic gardening, you need to say so.

I stopped reading at the second sentence.

I have every reason to believe that this forum is designed for serious discussions of organic rose growing. That is all I care to read about.

In keeping with "serious" you might look up the Terms of Service of the Gardening Web.

Sammy

• wesley_butterflies
    14 years ago

Your right Sammy: I do grow 14 different named roses as of current and some 8 more on the way (antiques and older ones as a goal)
    All of which are and will be organicly grown. Sorry to of gotten carried away as I do grow organicly in all of my gardens.

I found this link that helped me pick some out maybe you can share it with others.

http://www.roguevalleyroses.com/rvr_sublist.php?sort_id=date

Be the good day
    Wes

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Hi Sammy. I'm in eastern Washington and I love roses. I just found that out last year, when I had to take care of my mom's garden for a while. She was temporarily laid up (fine now) and I kept buying roses on sale, bringing them home to her and planting them to cheer her up. It worked, but I found out I like planting roses, so I got some for myself.

My husband and I live on a farm and I only grow organically. While roses are beautiful, I also try to plant flowers and herbs to go with them that will attract the bumblebees, butterflies and birds. So far, the lavender, butterfly bushes and coneflowers seem to be popular. Also, the DA rose Tamora was a hit with the bees. One kept falling asleep inside the flowers towards the end of the summer. I wish I'd taken a picture...very cute :)

While I'm still a newbie and trying to figure things out as I go, I'm thinking that with our cold winters, maybe albas, gallicas and damasks are the way to go. They should do well with organic garden style too. I do still love hybrid teas and hope to sneak a few in where it's a little warmer against the house. The few roses I planted last year didn't get any special attention. I just planted them in 1/2 clay and 1/2 aged horse manure and they seem to be very happy. We have horses, so fertilizer is easy to find (LOL)

Have a great New Year!

• tulipsmiles
    14 years ago

Sammy,
    I visit this forum often, as it is full of wonderful information.

At first I thought, what a great idea Sammy had... introducing herself and getting to know the gardeners here a bit, rather than just soliciting the free info like so many people do.

However, your response to Wes' entry was offensive. Yes, perhaps his response to your invite was a bit lengthy, but he *did* mention that he gardens organically and grows roses, among other things.

If you don't like someone's answer, you shouldn't have asked! He was just being himself.

As for keeping to the topic, you mentioned your dogs, husband, profession and children... Why were you so harsh on Wes when he chose to embelish??

I wouldn't normally even respond to something like this, but I'm taken back by your response - it caught me off gaurd. I suppose it's because this is a friendly place.

Let's try to be kind to one and other.

Happy New Year,
    Tulip Smiles

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tulip Smiles. I tried to write to you personally, but your email is not listed.

I said that I stopped reading at the second sentence.
    Terms of Service does not mean "off topic", but rather it is a list of violations of the Standards of Garden Web.

I meant what I said.

As far as I know the rose forums are connected, and branch out from the Roses Forum. I have been posting for about 10 years, and do not intend to be rude to any poster. However, if a poster says he will sleep well knowing that he has upset me, it is my right to respond appropriately.

I am here to share information about organic gardening.

I am interested in meeting those who are already here, and sharing information about Roses. I would like to meet people, and even do my part in trying to jump start this very slow moving Forum.

I responded appropriately to the two sentences that I read, and I still see no offense.

Please feel free to discuss your roses, your family, and your interests on this post. That is the subject, and you are welcome to chime in.

Sammy

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Wes seems like he has a "unique" sense of humor, but his post is hard to follow.

In Sammy's defense, Wes' second post on this thread said "you were right, Sammy" so I'm guessing he realized he was a bit all over the place in that first response.

I don't think anyone meant to offend anyone else, so let's get back to organic roses :)

• jeannie2009
    14 years ago

Hi my name is Jeannie. I've lurked here and learned loads from the more experienced rose gardeners. God bless each and everyone of you for sharing your knowledge. I'm a native New Yorker who transplanted to the state of Washington some 10 years ago. Located in Mason county at the very bottom of Puget sound. Also west of the cascade mountains. I have been gardening organically both on the east and west coast for a long time.
    My current garden was started last spring. So its a baby garden. It contains about 16 roses and other perennials and bulbs.
    The main problem is that the soil is what is called glacial rock. Amend and amend and then amend. This spring I plan to try some tea. We'll see.
    Hope this post is not too long.
    Gardening is such a hoot. Gotta love it.
    Jeannie

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jeannie,
    This Forum isn't moving very fast, but it is nice that someone else is interested in rose growing.

Maybe we can get some more threads going when the weather is a little nicer.

Sammy

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!