Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (5)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    14 years ago

Jim, I wonder what you are referring to. These links don't really say anything about a myth.
    Sammy

• sergeantcuff
    14 years ago

Very interesting, Jim, thanks for sharing.

Sammy, these links are all about "myths", the first being about the use of phosphate fertilizers (bone meal, etc.) at planting time. The second link has 50 myths debunked by the author. Unfortunately, it is claimed that no research shows that neither milk nor baking soda sprays fight blackspot. I have to agree :(

I know you no longer spray your roses, and concentrate on resistant varieties, but do you use any type of blackspot remedies at all?

Maureen

• wesley_butterflies
    14 years ago

Yep thanks jim both the 2009 items are myths
    Backing soda doesn't help fight black spot I did find it useful in a secondary off days use in prevention measures but would never rely on it as a only source The milk idea just didn't sound right. Why would I use a future sour smelling product to do anything but attract something I just might not want.

Coffee grounds and roses hmmm I do dump emm on the lawn if you do this I would not want to water it after a few spills of grounds are on as I did this unneeded watering step the grass grew four inches in 2 days after watering the required mowing turned the majority of the lawn a off color tan and stayed that way till middle fall

Epsom salt is a semi myth as most soils already contain the magnesium to help any flower bloom in right tone it is only the lack of magnesium where one needs to add the Epsom salt in to the soil

A non myth is banana peels being buried near the root base During the peak blooming times these banana peels help with a pedal texture that only the eye can see Banana Example : I have a Purple Passion that has a fine velvety finish on the pedals that I wasn't able to capture on film.It is the extra small boost of potassium in the banana that helps do this and we all know potassium is the K in NPK

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    14 years ago

I am going to try again. I was not intending to be sarcastic, but when I copy pasted the links, I could not find any myths.

I do not use any black spot remedies. It takes a long time to spray, and slowly but surely I have gotten rid of the roses that are ruined by black spot. I have learned to tolerate it if the rose blooms, but if it drops its leaves for the year, it is gone.

Sammy

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    14 years ago

A number of years ago I tried to use Clorox wipes to clean my clippers after every cut. That year I needed to recut them because the Clorox turned them black. (Clorox or Lysol).

The links are interesting. I don't remember where I went before, but not to these links.

Sammy