Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

Roses & stuff (near winter)

Decided to just put Mister Lincolns container into a half barrel and sit near a wall on the front porch... Nothing special...
ML soil is already frozen...
Now to see what happens...

Comments (47)

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for that pic... Now I can see how thorny Mr. Lincoln is, reminds me Liv Tyler rose that died last winter. I don't miss that rose at all.

I put my young rootings inside my dark garage. The leaves are still green and perky, even after 2 weeks of darkness. I watered the pot today.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mister Lincoln is not the greatest rose...lol
    Stingy bloomer 20-30 per entire season...
    So I'm willing to experiment with overwintering him...lol
    Nasty thorns on ML for sure...

The late Karl Babst z 5A told me that he use to just sit his rose bush containers inside a coldframe out of the wind on a table and most of them made it through winter...
    He said they would freeze solid...lol

Original Author
    9 years ago

Woooo Hooooo its going to be in the 60's today!
    Rained all day yesterday so its still wet outside...
    Hope all is well with you Straw & everyone!

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim & everyone: It was warm & rainy for 2 days, now it's slush & blizzard, nasty weather. The grocery store was jammed this Monday morning. I do my shopping early, we won't have turkey, my kid hates that stuff. So I buy a few Marie Calendar turkey frozen dinners. When I researched on most contaminated foods ... ground turkey was one of them. I never care for ground turkey.

I miss sniffing roses ... they really relieve daily stress. I'm taking more fish-oil for the winter, since Omega-3 helps staying warm. My blood sugar is very stabilized now, thanks for daily brown rice, plus Brewer's yeast. This morning I had 2 bites of my kid's left-over waffle, dropped her at school, then went shopping & didn't have a chance to eat until 1 pm ... yet I wasn't hungry nor feeling weak.

NOW fish oil works wonder in producing vivid dreams, if taken 1 hour before bed-time. I'm so impressed with the effect that fish oil has on me, that I no longer doubt the giant veggies produced by Neptune's RAW fish emulsion. See below link. I tried fertilizing rose with ground-flax-seeds (high in Omega-3) .. but it didn't work. The flax seeds blocked out air & oxygen, leading to chlorosis (yellowing). The advantage of fish products is FAST decomposition, and releasing of nutrients. That's why my neighbor keeps a bell-pepper plant for 2 years in a dinky pot, yet it's 100% healthy with lots of fruits, she fertilizes it once a week with fish emulsion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neptune fish emulsion

Original Author
    9 years ago

Today reached the upper 60's...Just think the other night was 7 degrees... Wild weather...lol

As long as its Hydrolyzed fish then I would like the Neptune fish emulsion product...

Nice to hear from you Straw!

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: It's always nice to hear from you. I enjoy hearing from other people too ... Folks: you are welcomed in this thread .. this thread is for everyone who's interested in healthy living, be it for roses or us.

This morning I drove 50 min. to my old dentist. He's the rare type who's honest and doesn't do UNNECESSARY work. While driving I had the time to contemplate about life. What I did before was FUTILE & WASTE OF TIME: like being torn over which rose to get, or wanting the latest rose. Striving after one thing only cause disappointment. There's a better way to life: take whatever come, and appreciate it to the max.

My philosophy: I take what comes to me, rather than chasing after what I want. I appreciate the cuttings that friends gave, and will enjoy these rose rootings to the fullest. Same with friendship, I met my awesome husband accidentally through a running-club: 20 years ago I ran to lose weight, while he was a top-notched marathon runner. The best things in life comes naturally, with ease, rather than striving, acquiring and getting something/someone. Happiness to me means managing well what one has & be appreciate of what one has ... rather than striving foolishly after anything.

I googled "the meaning of life" and one Bible site stated it well "God's purpose for creating man (Adam and Eve) and providing man with a choice to exercise his free will." So the meaning of life is "to choose good over evil", or to choose to be happy & appreciative rather than greed. No amount of new roses can stop the bandwagon of acquisition in the regular-rose forum. I'm way past that, what I choose now is to be appreciative of whatever comes ... this past winter killings of roses was great !! I have less roses to water, and more time for myself.

1 John 2:16 "For all that is in the world��"the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions��"is not from the Father but is from the world. "

Here is a link that might be useful: The real meaning of life

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the article! Seems like your figuring out whats most important to you & family etc.!

I just try to respect how others feel whether I agree with them or not...lol
    Hate/evil is such a wasted emotion...

We are suppose to get 1-3 inches of snow tomorrow...
    So gotta break the shovel out...lol

We are going to my mom on Thanksgiving Day...

Happy Thanksgiving Straw and to all!

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: I love what you wrote ... there's immense wisdom in that "Try to respect how others feel whether I agree with them or not. Hate/evil is such a wasted emotion." Thank you for that great tip !!

My sister forwarded me this awesome Turkey recipe, I copied it here for your enlightenment: "Here is a turkey recipe that includes the use of uncooked popcorn as stuffing ingredient. When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when the turkey is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

For an 8-15 lb. turkey: 1 cup melted butter, 1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good), 1 cup un-popped popcorn (Orville Redenbacher's low fat is best), plus salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan making sure the neck end is toward the back of the oven, not the front

After about 4 hours listen for the popping sounds. When the turkey's ass blows the oven door open and the bird flies across the room.... it's done."

Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL... I thought you were serious lol until the Turkeys ass blew the oven door open...lol

Happy Thanksgiving Straw...lol

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's how I will water our Mister Lincoln all winter...lol
    A shovel full here and there does the trick..

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: I'm glad to hear from you. Putting snow in the pot is a great idea .. I should do that whenever my garage door is opened, for the pot inside the garage. I'm still taking Brewer's yeast daily with 1 cup of organic soymilk and 1 heaping Tablespoon of buckwheat honey. I had that for breakfast plus a sweet potato ... that lasted me until 4 pm without eating lunch. I'm only 1.5 lbs. heavier than summer weight .. I don't even walk daily like I did in the summer. It's either too cold, or too wet now.

It's possible to eat cheap and healthy. I can easily survive on Brewer's Yeast & soy milk for breakfast-protein. Another cheap food I like is eggs & toast. I get Christopher's eggs, with 600 mg. of Omega-3, and Ezekiel's sprouted bread (whole grains). Both are high in protein which fills me up. Canned sardines & brown rice is another favorite.

The NOW Ultra-Omega-3 pills are worth the money, only 14 cents per day. We get the NOW Omega-3 fish oil in liquid form, imported from Norway, for my kid, since she can't swallow pills. That's sold cheap and the price varies on Amazon, last week hubby got that only $7 per bottle, this week the price jumped to $14.

We drizzle that liquid fish oil on her waffles, then top that with maple syrup, as suggested, it tasted great.

Here is a link that might be useful: NOW liquid fish on on Amazon

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the info Straw!
    Good ole fish oil... :-)

Today was warmer and in the 40's...

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: It's freezing cold here. We are the only 2-regulars in this forum .. we are lucky that our computers work well. My husband is a system analyst & programmer, he fixes computer as well. Without my husband, I would have computer problems just like anyone else.

This morning my sister recommended a site to get cheap glasses, Zennioptical. I got on that site, clicked on a few interesting pics., then Norton-safety appeared on the lowest-right: "Detect Trojan-virus attack." I got off the Internet immediately. "Norton-window" was still on the screen, asking me to click "apply" button. So I was dumb enough to click "Apply". Could not get on the Internet again.

I called hubby and he helped me to get on the Internet. He reminds me when that happens, hit control-alt-delete, and TURN-OFF the computer. Getting off the internet isn't enough. The last time I got a virus-attack from a site, I got off the internet right away, but there was a FAKED message still on the screen, asking me to hit a button, and call such, and such number. I ignored that message, and turned off the computer.

I got so many FAKED message on the screen in the past, one supposedly from my own computer, with a pictogram showing a scan is being performed. But it was a faked message, and I got off the Internet & turned off the computer.

There's also FAKED phone calls with the caller-ID as coming from a police station, or any official company. The police sent out e-mail alerts to everyone in my village, about caller-scam, using Caller-ID from the police, or the IRS.

People would see those Caller-ID's, and pay money when the "police" or "IRS" demand money. My sister got many calls from the "IRS" on her-cell phone saying that she owes taxes, but she knows that they are faked, since the IRS recently OK her. Here's an excerpt from my village's notice:

"One of our officers was present with the victim when three calls came in that showed our Police phone number on the caller ID. The first caller claimed to be with the FBI and the IRS, another claimed to be from the Sheriff’s Office, and the last claimed to be from the town Police Department. All three callers had heavy accents, possibly European, and at times were hard to understand.

The scammers were using a process known as Caller ID Spoofing by which “callers can deliberately falsify the telephone number and/or name relayed as the Caller ID information to disguise the identity of the calling party.” (http://www.fcc.gov/guides/caller-id-and-spoofing) Sometimes scammers will claim to be calling from your bank, credit card company, or creditor and ask you for personal information.

This scam is similar to one known as a grandparents scam, where a scammer will call the victim claiming to be their grandchild in distress and needing cash. The caller says they were in a car accident, mugged, or incarcerated in far away and that they need cash urgently. The caller will typically ask for secrecy and may claim that their voice sounds funny because of a nose or mouth injury. Another variation of this scam is where the caller claims to be a government official calling on behalf of a family member. When the victim asks to speak to their relative, the caller refuses. In these types of scams, the spoofed caller ID may tend to give the scammer credibility with the victim and make the scam more believable.

The best defense against these scams is common sense. Be suspicious of anyone who calls unexpectedly demanding cash. If your relative was really in custody, they would be allowed to call you themselves. Verify any emergencies by calling other family and friends before sending money. If there was a warrant for your arrest, you would be asked to turn yourself in at the nearest police department, not wire money to avoid arrest. It is unlikely that the FBI or IRS would be calling from your local police department. If you have even the slightest doubt, look up the agency phone number yourself and call to verify the information. Ask to speak to the investigating or arresting officer and/or your relative. Verify that they’re really in custody.

For more information on Caller ID Spoofing, go to http://www.fcc.gov/guides/caller-id-and-spoofing.

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

My brother helped me today. What I did wrong was to google for "Zennioptical", where it's loaded with ads (re-directed by google). One of the ad, which looks like it belongs to the site, contained a Trojan virus which attacked my computer. I have to use the below link to clean up that Trojan-virus.

This is the useful info. that my brother e-mailed me "Google has penetrated the droid search engine, and redirect searches through their own sites.. giving you the impression you are still on your own site. As much as people used to say how great google is... they have became an advertising giant... and direct all traffics through their browser managed sites.. for click advertising.

You might have gotten the virus from a google advertiser... So, in the future.. do not search for zennie optical using google... Type in the web address directly.. so you don't get ads from other sites.

Some websites can not afford to provide free service (ie spanishdict.com).. and depend on advertisers to keep the ad going. So don't ever click on any ads.. including those that on the side.

I have made the mistake with using my cell phone for booking priceline hotels.. after being repeatedly redirected to other hotel ads.. I realized that google had taken over priceline's search function.. and redirecting to their ads...

So.... word for the wise.. avoid using search engines for search. Find the site's address with the search engine, write it down.. and connect directly... you will bypass alot of ads.. and avoid trojans.."

My sister sent me the below link to remove virus, which I used to remove the Trojan-virus which attacked my computer this morning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Malware virus removal instruction

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Good luck with your Mr, Lincoln. You get the beautiful color where you are. I do better with his brother Oklahoma. I do love a beautiful Lincoln rose. I miss Karl and his wisdom. I hope you get more good gardening weather.

I'm looking at days of pruning and cleanup ahead. Our trees are just now turning.

Hang the garlands and clean the yard.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Kittymoonbeam & thanks!
    Our Christmas lights are up and on...lol

Thanks for all the info Straw! We did get a call on our phone ID box that said it was from a local business but it turned out to be a scam artist!
    I get sent scams on the computer, by mail, and via the phone service! They are everywhere...lol

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Kitty and Jim: Jim, your lights are fantastic. You did a great job decorating your house. My husband doesn't like height, so he doesn't decorate our house. Our house is very tall, so it's not safe. We have an artificial Christmas tree bought over a decade ago. I miss the fresh Christmas tree, the smell is awesome.

We are next to a Christmas-tree farm ran by Catholic priests, so I'll buy some branches just to decorate the fireplace and front entrance. My best bargain from a garage sale was a big box of homemade Christmas decorations. They are so much better than factory-made.

I saw the thread "I hate my dog ..." in Gardenweb ... and realize roses are so much low-maintenance compared to pets. A friend sent me a freshly-cut Oklahoma rose. It has the strongest scent, lychee-like ever. The scent is 10 times stronger than Double-Delight. It rooted easily from a cutting, but I gave it away. I can't stand blackish-red rose, that's why I killed my Mirandy rose. Mirandy has a higher quality, more refined scent than Oklahoma. Mirandy is very disease-resistant. See pic. below in my garden:

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

does the half barrel have drainage ... most likely not an issue now.. but it could be.. at snow melt ....

i see sun hits what looks like a black barrel ... i think i would move it out of all sun ... it is not good to have roses go in and out of dormancy.. especially the roots ...

i used to say ... the first time it happens... you might get a bit of damage ... second time.. the plant is really p.o.'d ... and going to show you what damage is .. the third time it thaws in mid winter ... [mind you i am talking MI] ... its going to say .. the heck with you.. and die ... maybe its all different in your z6 ...

good luck..

ken

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Straw!

Lifes too short to grow garden plants you do not like or want thats for sure...

Half barrel does have drain holes ken_adrian ... yeppers!
    I used that black barrel last year in the same location with no problems... Its on our front porch which has 3ft high bannisters all way around except for the open area at the steps area... Blocks wind ... Porch has a roof... Gets very little sun...

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Thanks Jim, for that info. Last winter was the coldest everywhere. I heard this winter will be milder. I ought to try your approach to winterize rosemary herb in my front porch. I still drink Brewer's Yeast & milk & buckwheat honey for breakfast instead of green tea .. I sleep better that way.

I miss the taste of green tea though, will order from that Organic tea plantation in North Carolina. I should try lemon in green tea like the British do in the old days. Folks back then are SO SKINNY !! They didn't have soft drinks nor juice like we do now.

Original Author
    9 years ago

If you sleep better Straw I'd keep taking Brewer's Yeast & milk & buckwheat honey...

Let me know how the green tea tastes from North Carolina... Thanks Straw

Nothing exciting going on here today... lol

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: I bought the black tea with peach flavor on Amazon, free shipping, $9 for a tin of loose-leaf American Classic tea, which makes 25 cups total. It's the organic tea made in Charleston, North Carolina. I wanted the green tea, but it's NOT free shipping (I would have to pay $5 extra in shipping).

So I bought the black tea with peach flavor, which my hubby likes that. I suspect that the pesticides in black tea (imported in China) is what cause rheumatoid arthritis. When I went to that Organic American-made tea-site, one guy commented that his wife drinks that stuff since it doesn't give her joint-pain like the tea imported from China.

Here's an excerpt from the link below on how drinking black tea raises the risk of Rheumatoid Arthritis, it was dated back in 2010: "Now a new study from Georgetown University has shown that drinking tea raised the risk of RA in post-menopausal women. The study involved more than 76,000 women between the ages of 50 and 79 in the US and found significant association between tea consumption in any amount and a 40 percent rise in the risk of getting RA. Women who took more than 4 cups of tea per day upped the risk by as much as 78 percent. Effects of black tea were assessed in this study and green and herbal teas were excluded. Coffee, filtered and otherwise and caffeinated and decaffeinated has no similar effect. The study was presented at the Annual Congress of the European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) 2010 in Rome.

Here is a link that might be useful: Too much tea raise the risk of rheumatoid arthritis

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

One of the reason why I didn't buy green tea from Charleston plantation in NC is it doesn't have the high altitude for optimal taste. Amazon reviews gave their green tea thumb-down in taste. But there's a tea plantation in Washington that's grown at high altitude, their green tea is sold out, since its $14, free shipping. See link below. If it wasn't sold out, I would had bought from there.

http://shop.sakumabros.com/green-tea.aspx

Below link lists the tea plantations across U.S.A. I checked the MI one, it's too expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Where tea is grown in U.S.A.

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Drinking tea is like growing roses: Both are refreshment for the senses,with delightful scents. The flavor of green tea is refreshing, so are roses' fragrances. Here's an excerpt from WebMD "Green tea has been shown to improve blood flow and lower cholesterol. A 2013 review of many studies found green tea helped prevent a range of heart-related issues, from high blood pressure to congestive heart failure.

What’s good for the heart is usually good for the brain; your brain needs healthy blood vessels, too. In one Swiss study, MRIs revealed that people who drank green tea had greater activity in the working-memory area of their brains. Green tea has also been shown to help block the formation of plaques that are linked to Alzheimer's disease.

Green tea seems to help keep blood sugar stable in people with diabetes. Because catechins lower cholesterol and blood pressure, they can help protect against the damage a high-fat diet can cause, Ochner says.
    What About Weight Loss? While some evidence suggests that the active ingredient in green tea, EGCG, may help you drop a few pounds, other studies show no effect.
    But green tea is a smart swap for sugary drinks. "All things being equal, if you sub 1-2 cups of green tea for one can of soda, over the next year you'd save over 50,000 calories," Ochner says. That's more than 15 pounds."

From Strawberryhill: I checked on the quality of green tea from American Classic grown in Charleston, NC ... Amazon reviewers gave it thumb-down in taste. Tea needs high elevation & right soil for optimal taste. I love the taste of green tea, but fed up with severe tummy ache from the pesticides in cheap Chinese green tea. Glad to find that Stash tea is grown in Brazil, rather than China. Here's Stash green tea grown in Brazil on Amazon, 14 cents per cup:

http://www.amazon.com/Stash-Tea-Premium-Green-Count/dp/B003D4F2US/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417974157&sr=8-1&keywords=stash+green+tea

Stash makes Organic green tea, but it doesn't say "Grown in Brazil" for this one, also 14 cents per cup. Folks rate it as weak in flavor:

http://www.amazon.com/Stash-Tea-Organic-Green-Premium/dp/B00E19WE7S/ref=pd_sim_gro_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=13VGPTN95EGKV06FDP1S

For premium taste & flavor, Stash makes PRENIUM organic green tea, grown in Brazil, at 18 cents per cup. Folks raved about this as rivaling the best Japanese green tea. Jim, too bad I already ordered American Classic Peach-flavored black tea, with 25 cups-amount. I'll use that up before I buy Stash green tea. Tea loses its flavor within 6 months, so it's best to buy in small amount.

http://www.amazon.com/Stash-Tea-Organic-Premium-Green/dp/B000NIFO96/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/185-0310292-9890538

Good News: I lost 1 lb, from using magnesium tablets to decease stomach's acid. Magnesium is VERY alkaline, it shuts off stomach acid-production, thus decreases hunger-pangs. Instead of a snack-before bedtime, I take 2 fish-oil tablets, plus magnesium tablet. That shuts down my stomach acid-production, so I don't need to snack before bedtime. I notice much less hunger for breakfast.

I plan to drink tea for breakfast ... that's how I get down to 100 lbs. a few years ago. Green tea makes me very hyper.
    I'll post the link to Stash Organic Premium green tea below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Stash Premium Green Tea, made in Brazil

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the Green Tea info Straw!
    I fight a major fight with trying to lose weight in the winter since I'm not nearly as active...
    Glad you lost some Straw!

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: I'm 1 lb. heavier than the summer. Magnesium works wonder in curbing hunger pangs and cravings. The magnesium oxide is sold cheaper in tablets .. that's what I take. My kid can't swallow pills, that's why she takes CALM (magnesium citrate).

Ever since we take magnesium, we don't have cravings for chocolate like we used to. Plus chocolate is a mess, lots of brown spots on my carpet !! I'm having "American Classic peach-flavored black tea" for breakfast now. It's VERY good peach flavor, like a Snapple drink without sugar.

I read yesterday about Angelia Jolie keeps herself skinny by drinking green tea and eating nuts. That's what I did when I was 100 to 110 lb. range. I drank 2 cups of green tea, and munched on sunflower seeds (no salt). That's when my cholesterol level was perfect .. sunflower seeds are highest in plant sterols to reduce cholesterol, after sesame seeds. Both Trader Joe's and Fruitful Yield Health food store sell very yummy ROASTED sunflower seeds (no salt).

Being healthy & losing weight has a lot to do with food-preparation and MAKING stuff taste yummy. I ate salads everyday when I lost weight. Last night we were short on steaks (I froze half to make chili). I only ate 1/2 piece of steak, and stuffed myself with RAW spinach salad. I was fuller than normal.

It's the sugar in juice & sweet which PROMOTE stomach acids and make people hungry. In contrast, veggies like spinach & kale & lettuce are high in magnesium, thus REDUCING stomach acid which cause hunger pangs. That's why folks use a vinegar-based dressing for salads, to help with digestion of greens.

Vinegar also cut down on carbohydrates absorption, thus less calories. I learn the above from my 2 decades of reading Prevention magazine, and reading at least 20 books on nutrition, which was a bigger hobby than roses. I'm the youngest girl in a family of 9 girls ... most of my sisters are very skinny, so there's that pressure to be slim.

Unfortunately the cheap Chinese green tea which I used to drink are loaded with pesticides, and gave me really bad tummy ache. Below link is the article "What's in your green tea?" An excerpt about a woman with breast cancer: "But six months later - during which time she had been eating her organic diet and drinking green tea-she was rocked by the results of another blood test: Her DDT levels had risen to 1.1 parts per billion. When a test of her water found it clear, she had the tea tested and discovered that it was, indeed, contaminated. "

http://inthesetimes.com/issue/24/19/whittelsey2419.html

I post a link below for "American classic" peach-black-tea, no pesticides, grown in Charleston, SC. It's $9 for 25 cups, free shipping from Amazon. Hubby likes that black tea, whereas I prefer the taste of green tea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach-black tea made in America, no pesticides

Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't want any China Green tea... Who knows what all they put in things...sort of scary to me...

Thanks for all the info Straw!

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: My hunch is right about pesticides & black tea and rheumatoid arthritis risk. MODERN facility is well-sealed, less rats breaking in. But older facilities have rats in their storage, thus the use of pesticides to kill rats, plus fungicides sprayed on tea. Here's an excerpt from below link, entitled "Pesticide Use Linked to Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis"

"The findings were recently presented by lead scientist Dr. Christine G. Parks of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences and her colleagues.

Nearly a billion pounds of pesticides, typically used to kill termites, fleas and household bugs, are spread into the environment each year, through both agricultural and nonagricultural use. According to the 2008-2009 Annual Report of the President’s Cancer Panel, nearly 1,400 pesticides have been registered and approved by the Environmental Protection Agency .... exposure to chemicals found in pesticides has been associated with a variety of cancers including breast, colon, prostate and lung cancer.

Chemical substances found in pesticides can be toxic to the developing brain. This is backed by recent findings showing that prenatal pesticide exposure may affect intelligence and learning in children, when tested at 3 years of age. Other recent studies show that pesticide exposure may elevate the risk of Parkinson’s disease.

Now it appears that a new series of conditions referred to as autoimmune rheumatic disorders��" lupus and rheumatoid arthritis (RA)��" may also be linked to pesticide exposure. Parks and her associates looked at the possible relationship between self-reported household insecticide application and the development of either lupus or RA in almost 77,000 women participating in the Women’s Health Initiative ... reported that the strongest association between pesticides and the two autoimmune disorders was seen in women who lived on a farm and reported personally applying insecticides."

The examiner.com reported on "'Dangerously high pesticide levels' found in Celestial Seasonings teas." See below:

"WITH UPDATES JULY 20, 2013 - Celestial Seasonings refuses to release pesticide report. A scathing report on Celestial Seasonings teas and parent company Hain Celestial, shows 91% of the samples of Celestial Seasonings teas tested contained pesticides in levels that exceed U.S Federal limits.

High pesticides in 91% of samples

10 out of 11 varieties of Celestial Seasonings teas, one of the largest specialty tea manufacturers in North America, were found by an independent lab to contain excess pesticides."

*** From Straw: I used to drink Celestial Seasonings teas, most of them have items imported from China such as hibiscus or mandarin orange peel. The safest bet is to drink tea with 100% made in a MODERN & organic facility, rather than a blend of many ingredients from many countries.

Stash sells ORGANIC green tea imported from Brazil, but their blends still get stuff from many countries, such as hibiscus and jasmine from China. At least Stash lists which country that each ingredient comes from.

After reading many Amazon reviews on Kirkland Japanese tea (sold for $13 at Costco), I decide against it because: 1) too much & expensive 2) many report it tasted like pond-water, or fishy 3) One person reported joint pains & headache ... perhaps from Jap. radiation or pesticides used. That concurred with other reports of joint-pain from pesticides in tea.

The Stash ORGANIC premium green-tea, grown in Brazil is the safest choice without pesticides. It's cheaper to buy directly from Stash company, since they have free shipping on $25 worth of tea, offer end this Sunday, Dec. 2014. It's nice to order a variety of teas for $25, including decaf & organic, herbal, etc. Below is the link to Stash's website on their ORGANIC premium green tea, grown in Brazil:

http://www.stashtea.com/dp/B005DM5M9O/ref=wcr_dp_numReviews#GuestReviews

Yesterday I ordered $25 worth of tea from Stash, based in Oregon. It's only $2.50 per tea blend, so I get many varieties for less money. I don't like buying from grocery store because: more expensive, large amount, plus NOT as fresh as buying directly from the company.

Teas taste best when it's less than 6 months, rather than sitting in a rat-infested warehouse in China, sprayed with pesticides. I really enjoy the Peach-flavored-black tea grown in Charleston, SC, made in USA with no pesticides. It's only $9 for 25 cups, free shipping from Amazon, sold as "American Classic" teas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pesticide Use Linked to Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info Straw! Pesticides are nasty!

{{gwi:2131476}}

{{gwi:2131477}}

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: Those are nice pic. of your pets. Your dog is so fluffy that it's like a stuffed animal. Your Christmas decoration is lovely too. This year I put less stuff on the Christmas tree, and it looks so much better.

Christmas tree is a place to put memories: stuff that my kid made through elementary school. I will NEVER buy made-in-China Christmas ornaments, the arts & crafts made in USA are so much better.

Ever since I start drinking that peach-flavored "American Classic" black tea, I drink much less juice, and eat less too. The bags, either paper, or nylon (pyramid bags) also leach out chemicals. That's why I get Stash tea, since their bags are NOT treated with chemicals. Teas from China and India have the most pesticides. Below link lists the teas which are safe to use.

My morning is so enjoyable with warm tea from American Classic, grown in Charleston Plantation in SC. I look forward to that awesome peach aroma every morning. There's a new ORGANIC Stash tea, Orange Chocolate, high in caffeine, with intense flavors ... it won the tea-tasting contest in 2013. That's sold in bags, and I prefer loose tea, less chemicals from the bags.

Folks on Amazon report that the Stash Orange Chocolate is like a dessert. That's how I see my peach black tea, it's like an 1-hour dessert which I sip frequently to savor the peach essence, with zero calories. I honestly enjoy that more than a peach cobbler, loaded with butter and guilt.

Here is a link that might be useful: List of safe Teas

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: I really enjoy the pic. of your kitty sleeping, so peaceful !! Found this slide-show on Comcast this morning, about foods that make us forgetful. My Mom has diabetes, at 90 she's remembers long-term memory (back to 60 years) ... but she forgets short-term memory, like what she said few minutes ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foods that make us forgetful & slow brain

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Straw!
    And thanks for all the info on brain fog foods!

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: I got attacked by another computer virus. I got an email from "Walmart", so I clicked on it, it said "You recently inquired about an item". Yes, I did google Walmart site for an electric heater. But that's a faked e-mail, using Walmart as the username, but if you check the e-mail address, it's NOT from Walmart.

So my computer got infected with a Trojan virus. I had to run Norton-Quick scan to get rid of the virus. I learned NOT to click on any e-mail. Scammers can use any username, be it Walmart or eBay. My sister once got an e-mail from "eBay" asking for confirmation of her PayPal password. It was a scam, using eBay as the sender.

I no longer do extensive search for info. I only click on the first 2 results of a search, anything afterwards tend to carry Trojan virus from Adclicker.

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Testing uploading photos from my computer to see if it's OK. Here's Arthur Bell rose that I killed, the flowers can't be used as cut flower, but the scent is good.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow thats a nice bright yellow rose! :-)

I do not open any emails I do not know...
    Be careful also that some virus attach themselves to a computers buddy list then sends the virus to all your friends using your email address....
    I've seen that happen a few times from people I know..

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: That happened to me too, a friend sent a link, when I clicked on that, my PC got attacked by a virus. I don't trust any link posted by forum members either, unless I know it's from a safe person like you.

I got my Stash tea in the mail (free shipping with order of $25, offer ends this Sunday Dec. 14). I get the mini-sampler varieties, 10 flavors for $3.50. See link below for mini-sampler pouches offered by Stash, which are NOT sold at grocery stores.

Got my Stash-tea order of 50+ flavors ... so glad that I got only one bag of each variety. I gagged on Maple Apple cider flavor, it was worse than cough medicine, with rooibos from Africa, and Hibiscus from China ... don't trust that stuff. Here are the few that are worth buying:

Vanilla nut Crème Decaf black tea: The vanilla is the best that I ever smelled, will use that for my cookies, that's cheaper than bottled vanilla. It smells like freshly baked cookies.

Peppermint: This is grown in NW America, it won Men's Health Magazine best herbal tea for 3 years in a row. Zero bitter taste, amazing peppermint on the tongue. No wonder it's often sold out at my local store. Really help me to eat less during dinner, very refreshing.

Lemon Meyer: I got this from local store, $2 for 20 bags. There's only 2 bags left on the shelve, a hot-seller. Lemon from America, Lemongrass from Peru. Very refreshing & helps with digestion. The lemon & lemongrass is so intense, that I plan to marinade chicken with this tea. The flavor from one tea bag is much better than the lemongrass herb that I bought for spice.

The more I drink tea, the more I prefer the cleaner & less processed taste of white tea, then green tea, and fermented black tea last. Found an article on how pesticide are leaked more from black tea, but can't load the PDF file. Still enjoy my America classic peachy black tea, grown in Charleston, SC.

We got a free Shutterfly calendar from hubby's coke rewards, where we can load our pics into a calendar. My hubby drank tons of coke just to get that coupon. I hope to find healthy & good-tasting teas to break his cola-habit.

Others Stash-flavor that people like: Acai berries, Vanilla chai, pumpkin spice, black forest pureh tea to lower cholesterol (my local store has that, $2 for 20 bags).

What's best thing that I realized for the Holidays, to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, our Savior? Today I realize that I'm born to please God, rather God is there to please me. Pleasing God means doing the right thing, doing what God wants me to do: Loving myself & others.

The "God is there to please me" mentality is a Do-nothing & self-seeking philosophy that ego-freaks and control-freaks often embrace . They ask God for stuff, but give nothing to Him. I think the mentality of "We are here to please God & baby Jesus" is more fitting for Christmas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stash collection of mini-sampler tea

Original Author
    9 years ago

I really try hard not to get computer virus... We had one Virus in 7 years so not bad...That virus crashed our last computer. Crashed it so bad we needed to buy another one...
    We had this computer since 2008 and so far so good...

I drink colas once in a great while just for a change but thats not very often. I figure if Colas can eat battery acid my god what would they do to our stomachs..lol

I would say we are here to please Jesus/God for sure whether its Christmas day or any other day...

Thanks for the info Straw!

{{gwi:2131478}}

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Thank you, Jim, for that Christmas pic. with your cute cat. My neighbor got a tiny white dog, similar to yours, but much smaller. It's fun to watch that dog. Another neighbor got a white pug which kept eating the grass pugs (dirt) which were pulled up.

My Christmas tree is big, but I'm too lazy to take pics. My kid is NOT photogenic now, since she's having pimples on her face at 12 year-old. I'm cutting out her Jello ... too much artificial colors induce pimples. Found that out by googling.

The only flavors I like in my Stash 50+ varieties are: Organic Merry Mint green tea, Stash peppermint, Meyer Lemon, Christmas Eve mint, and Vanilla nut Crème.

I had a scary anaphylactic shock from Stash Maple apple cider. The tea is made from Rooibos red tea, hibiscus, cinnamon, apple and maple flavors. I gagged on the 1st sip, and could not swallow. This severe allergic reaction from a toxin in the tea, which caused fast heartbeat and contraction of wind pipe. It was frightening that I could not swallow, with rising body temp. and flushing. Later on the tea smelled stinky & strange, worse than cough medicine.

I had Rooibos tea and hibiscus tea in the past with no problems. So the anaphylactic shock most likely come from the high pesticides level in that tea, either from rooibos, hibiscus, or apple.

Never believe anything on the internet, even the medical establishment was wrong, and retracted on many things: Hormone replacement therapy, calcium .. it used to be believed wrongly that trans-fat (margarine) was better than natural butter !! There's this propaganda that Rooibos tea helps with allergies, but years ago when I had that, it WORSENED my hay fever. That's why I had an anaphylactic shock from Rooibos & hibiscus this past Friday.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes good ole acne! I had a moderate to severe case of acne for years as a teen. Actually it did not clear up until I was in my mid 20's... :-O
    I experimented with diet and acne facial products but nothing cleared it up... :-(
    Even went to a dermatologist with no luck...

I got chicken pox at a late age also...lol... (20 years old)

I would freak out if I had a scary anaphylactic shock like you did!

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: Thanks for sharing about your past acne ... I don't feel too bad about my kid's issue anymore. I also got chicken pox when I was 32 years old ... was bed-ridden !!

That anaphylactic shock was the scariest thing in my life: throat constricted, could not breathe, could not swallow, heart racing, and rising body temp. That allergic reaction was from rooibos & hibiscus & pesticides in Stash tea. The second scariest thing was when I blacked-out when I was pregnant.

Teenager acne can be hormonal imbalance. Found that spearmint helps with teenager-hormonal imbalance. See University of Maryland on spearmint and Hirsutism (unwanted hair): "Spearmint tea (Mentha spicata), 1 cup two times per day. A preliminary study found that women with hirsutism who drank spearmint tea had less free testosterone (a male hormone) in their blood. The researchers thought that the tea might reduce symptoms of mild hirsutism. Another study found that spearmint tea lowered androgen levels in women who had PCOS."

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/hirsutism

Spearmint is also used in sleep-aid. The Stash-Merry-Mint tea that made me VERY SLEEPY has green tea, spearmint, lemongrass, ginger. Spearmint, lemon balm, and lemongrass are also the ingredients in in Nighty-Night Tradition Medicinal-tea, which Amazon folks reported just as strong as sleeping pill.

Lemon balm, a mint-plant, is used for insomnia and herpes. See University of Maryland on its medical uses: "For example, in one study of people with minor sleep problems, 81% of those who took an herbal combination of valerian and lemon balm reported sleeping much better than those who took placebo.

Herpes Some studies suggest that topical ointments containing lemon balm may help heal cold sores caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). In one study of 116 people with HSV, those who applied lemon balm cream to their lip sores experienced significant improvement in redness and swelling after only 2 days. Another large study involving three German hospitals and one dermatology clinic showed that, when lemon balm was used to treat the primary infection of HSV I, not a single recurrence was noted. The cream has also been found to reduce the healing time of both genital and oral herpes. Several animal studies also support the value of topical lemon balm for herpes lesions. And preliminary studies show that lemon balm exhibited a high, concentration-dependent activity against HIV infection."

Some evidence suggests that lemon balm, in combination with other herbs, may help treat indigestion. Others reveal that lemon balm oil has a high degree of antibacterial activity. In one study, lemon balm showed adequate activity against Listeria monocytogenes and Staphylococcus auerus. And a few studies have found that lemon balm may help improve cognitive function and decrease agitation in people with Alzheimer's disease.

Source: Lemon balm : University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/lemon-balm#ixzz3MAO1Cax9

Dr. Oz show recommended the below Lemon-balm drops, which has 168 4-stars customer reviews, many testified that it's effective to treat cold sores. I don't have cold-sores but I'll buy spearmint tea for my kid, and possibly Lemon Balm tea if I see that cheap in grocery store.

http://www.amazon.com/Herb-Pharm-Extract-Nervous-Supplement/dp/B000158C9A/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Below is a link for Traditional Medicinals, Lemon Balm tea for less than $4 on Amazon. The grocery store nearby has a big selection of Traditional Medicinals, organic made in U.S.A

Here is a link that might be useful: Traditional Medicinals Lemon Balm Tea

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info Straw!

I suppose ingredients in acne products have changed over the years also. I would think things should be more advanced in those areas?
    I suppose dermatologists would have more weapons these day to fight acne also...
    Because I was a teen 30+ years ago...lol

Anyhow I added a Christmas on our outside front porch...

{{gwi:2131479}}

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: That's a great idea .. putting a Christmas tree in the front porch. I thought about it, but held back ... our weather is so rainy & icy in zone 5a.

My brother is a dermatologist & skilled surgeon. Acne treatment shifted from chemicals to expensive laser or light treatment. The acne drug, Acutane, has been linked to birth defects, and suicides in teenagers. There's Nicomide-T, a derivative from Vitamin B, for an expensive acne treatment.

Brewer's yeast is cheaper to treat acne, since it's has all the B-vitamins. I did extensive research on Brewer's yeast since I plan to give that to my kid for her teenager acne. University of Maryland Medical center has a good review on Brewer's Yeast, known to help with diabetes, high cholesterol, plus preventing colds & flu. Here's an excerpt from below link:

"At least one study has found that brewer's yeast may improve acne. Another linked it to a reduced risk of a second skin cancer. And one large, preliminary study found that taking a specific kind brewer’s yeast product (EpiCor) may help prevent colds and flu.

Brewer's yeast is often used as a source of B-complex vitamins, chromium, and selenium. The B-complex vitamins in brewer's yeast include B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), and H or B7 (biotin). These vitamins help break down carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, which provide the body with energy. They also support the nervous system, help maintain the muscles used for digestion, and keep skin, hair, eyes, mouth, and liver healthy.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/brewers-yeast#ixzz3MBHc8Nct

I have been taking Brewer's Yeast for months. It was a God-sent when I was bed-ridden from my severe allergic reaction to Cantaloupe. I was so inflamed, but the brewer's yeast quenched the inflammation. Brewer's yeast is a by-product of the beer industry, sold cheap $10 for 1 lb. as NOW brewer's yeast. But one company convert that to pills, and sold under EpiCor for outrageous price of $42 a tiny bottle on Amazon, with many glowing reviews.

Lots of perfect reviews on Amazon are corporate sponsored. NOW brewer's yeast has the LOWEST rating on Amazon, since it's cheap ... they don't pay people to boost their Amazon ratings. However, NOW brewer's yeast works as well as EpiCor. It tastes good if mixed with buckwheat honey and milk. It's a meal in itself, I don't get hungry until 4 or 5 hours later. The blood-sugar stabilization is fantastic. One drawback: can't take that before bedtime, since it makes me very hyperactive like caffeine.

The last time I had a cold/flu ? That's when my kid was 4 years old. Nutritional Yeast tastes nasty like brewer's yeast, plus without the chromium. I already tried nutritional yeast, it was like stinky powder-egg. The below link shows the difference between the two:

http://www.milkandhoneyhealthfoods.com/brewers-yeast-versus-nutritional-yeast

Brewer's yeast helps me to lose weight, since it stabilizes my blood sugar. Here's an excerpt from below link: "A recent study has found that a hydrolysate from brewer’s yeast may help obese people lose weight and abdominal fat.

Participants in the study included 54 obese men and women. Over the course of ten weeks they consumed either 0.5 grams of yeast hydrolysate or dextrin as a control 30 minutes before breakfast and again 30 minutes before dinner.

At the six week point, the researchers noted that the yeast hydrolysate group already had significant reductions in calorie intake. This reduction was maintained through the end of the study.

At the conclusion of the study, the researchers noted an average 5.7 lbs reduction in body weight and a 17.3 cm2 reduction in abdominal circumference in the yeast group, compared to 1.8 lbs and 7 cm2 reductions in the control group. Researchers from Jeonju University in South Korea conducted the study. It was published in the January 2014 issue of Nutrition."

Below is my Christmas tree. It was decorated by my kid and her friend. I have NOT added the other decorations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brewer's yeast extract to lose weight

Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow great looking Christmas Tree Straw! :-)

Brewers Yeast seems to be good for a lot of things!

Great info!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Paid for my 3 roses from RU today by credit card. They charged me $5 extra dollars to use my CC... $78.00

Hopefully after paying that price they all grow well and fight off BS...lol

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: Congratulations to your roses purchase ... $78 for 3 vigorous roses and daily-enjoyment is worth it. All the vigorous roses in my garden can fight off BS well: Evelyn, Christopher Marlowe, Pat Austin, Fred. Mistral, Bolero .... but the wimpy roses with wimpy roots, tend to BS more.

My pot of rose-rootings in the garage is doing well, leaves are still green and perky. I topped that with used almond solids, after making almond-milk. That solids grow a whitish mold ... I think it's beneficial since these young roses have healthy leaves. There are some good bacteria & fungi, and there are some bad ones that cause B.S.

When I took microbiology in college, my professor told us about a village in Switzerland, with zero cavities for everyone. What happened was they ate Swiss Cheese daily, fermented by a special gassy bacteria. That bacteria flourish in their mouth, and took over the bad ones that cause cavities. Amazon is selling a special type of probiotics, researched by a dentist, to kill the bad ones in one's mouth that cause bad-breadth and bleeding gum. Below is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Dentist-Recommended-Oral-Probiotic-Supplement/dp/B00KDQW1XU/ref=sr_1_7?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1419023529&sr=1-7&keywords=Lactobacillus+paracasei

There's another bacteria formulated for the mouth, with the same purpose, but cheaper price on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/PRO-Dental-Probiotics-Infections-Allergies-salivarius/dp/B00ONB9JIG/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1419030468&sr=1-2&keywords=L+paracasei

Beneficial bacteria, or probiotics is the BEST NATURAL MEDICINE. I was plagued with vaginal yeast infections since I was 5 years old ... went to the doctor many times. Nothing worked, yogurt, prescribed med, and wasting money on different brands of probiotics. At 38 years old, I tried Femdophillus by Jarrow, recommended by Prevention Magazine. That has special lacto-bacteria, brewed by 2 doctors after 20 years of research. THAT SOLVED the yeast problem for the rest of my life. I'm sold on proper-probiotics ever since, before that I was skeptical.

I already bought a probiotics for my kid's acne and her diarrhea. That's the same species sold under Florastor, most recommended by M.D. for traveler's diarrhea. I pay $8 for a cheaper generic brand, Swanson. Here's an excerpt from livestrong.com:

"Acne : Preliminary research suggests that Saccharomyces boulardii may also help to treat acne. A double-blind, placebo controlled study cited in the September 1989 issue of "Fortschritte der Medizin," examined the effects of supplemental Saccharomyces boulardii on 139 patients with acne. At the end of the five-month study, more than 80 percent of the patients taking the supplement experienced complete or considerable healing of acne. "

Here is a link that might be useful: Saccharomyces boulardii for $8 on Amazon

Original Author
    9 years ago

Great info Straw!
    Can't wait to plant those roses...

{{gwi:2131480}}

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: We don't have pets so I always enjoy pics. of your dogs and cats. Your dog is adorable in that Christmas hat. This thread is getting too long to load, so I'll start another one. It's always enjoyable to chit-chat with trusted friends like you through the winter. Thank you, Jim for posting, you have been a great blessing and help for me in this Organic Rose forum.

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz