Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellie479

Spider Mites (and Companion Plants!)

ellie479
11 years ago

Hi there,

I'm new around here (and brand spankin' new to roses too!) so I hope this isn't too much of a newbie post :P...

I was googling about companion plants for spider mites as my Pink Pet seems to be under attack from the pesky things. Apparently "Mary Jane" suffers a lot from spider mites because the first three search results were from websites alllll about it lol.

Any way, I found this list of companion plants for repelling spider mites and other pests (I don't know half of these bugs myself lol, but maybe someone will find this info useful!):

* garlic - aphids, cowpea curculio, flea beetles, japanese beetles, mexican been leaf beetles, root maggots, spider mites and squash vine borers

* onion - bean leaf beetle, cabbage loopers, carrot flies, flea beetles, harlequin bugs, mexican bean leaf beetles, mice, rabbits, spider mites and squash vine borers

* dill - aphids, cabbage moths and spider mites

* fennel - aphids, slugs, snails and spider mites

* coriander/cilantro - aphids, colorado potato beetles and spider mites

* chives - aphids, japanese beetles and spider mites

* cloves - cowpea curculio, spider mites and squash vine borers

Sooooo.....have any of you had success with planting any of these said plants near your roses? Pink Pet is currently in a pot in my screen enclosure. I figure if this does work I could just put chives or something in a pot next to her? Any feedback is welcomed! Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

First thing you need to know is that plants get aphids. Fortunately, the remedies are easy:
    - Squish, perhaps protecting your fingers with a tissue;
    - wash off w/ a harsh water spray;
    - and apply direct hits of insecticidal soap, diluted according to label directions.

When it comes to companion planting, some gardeners swear by such groupings while others don't.

Overall, the best strategy for all plants, whether in the ground or containers, is to put the right plant in the right place, then provide the right follow-up care.

Let's take that apart:
    - The right plant: Choose kinds known to be successful in your region.
    - The right place: Which site will be best -- sun, shade, or half and half?
    - The right follow-up:
    - - - 1. Maintain the moisture content of the entire root zone as needed by that particular plant (wet, moist or on the dry side; in the latter instance, make certain the plant has first had a chance to develop a good root system)
    - - - 2. Fertilize if needed: Seasonal vegetables and flowers generally need extra fertilizer to provide the optimum yields we expect; container-grown plants will need smaller but more frequent doses because the fertilizer literally washes out ; ornamental trees and shrubs in the ground seldom need fertilizer.
    - - - 3. Protect from excess sunlight and/or heat as needed, particularly when they are first planted.
    - - -4. Visit your plants every several days or so to make certain they're doing well; when complications set in, find out what it is and deal with it promptly and in an appropriate manner.

Have fun w/ your plants.

• eircsmith
    11 years ago

Thank for starting thread with some information related to Spider Mites. It would be a great help to newbie. Thanks for the post.

• maplerbirch
    11 years ago

Perhaps this is a subject for a new thread, but do lady bugs eat spider mites? I found them living as a companion to my rose bush all last season.

• mimosamonster
    10 years ago

i dont see lady bugs go after spider mites

to get rid of the spider mites, the MOST effective thing i have ever found is simple castile soap and olive oil in a sprayer bottle.

• gigim
    10 years ago

mimosamonster - what is the ratio for the castille soap and olive oil? 1:1 ? Do you dilute at all?

• mimosamonster
    10 years ago

oh yeah... i use the soap flakes off a bar of soap(i use dr bronners which i think you can get at publix still) ... couple of tablespoons in a sprayer..... maybe more if they seem like they are more durable...a few tablespoons of oil as well. just make sure to test a small part of the plant before going all in. for the most part you should know by the next day if the spray is too strong.

• beshara
    10 years ago

I planted garlic all around my rose bushes this year, and it DIDn't seem to help with spider mites, or black spot--but no powdery mildew---maybe it would have been WORSE without them... It DID seem to stop any Japanese beetles or June bugs from munching...

• beshara
    10 years ago

I planted garlic all around my rose bushes this year, and it DIDn't seem to help with spider mites, or black spot--but no powdery mildew---maybe it would have been WORSE without them... It DID seem to stop any Japanese beetles or June bugs from munching...

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Thank you, Beshara, for that great tip against Japanese beetles .... I have them here when the summer is hot. I have some chives (with pretty purple flowers in spring). Hopefully that works .. will try that.

The rose-breeder Kim Rupert (Roseseek) who had over a thousand roses in his California garden, mentioned that marigolds attract spider-mites. He's right, I checked with the book written by rosarian Field Roebuck of Texas .. he stated that plants like marigolds. Some points from Field's book:

3) Marigolds are spider-mites magnets, but good for deterring nematodes.

4) The herb rue is an insect repellent, and is especially effective against Japanese Beetles. The book stated that Geraniums also have the same quality.

5) The edible alliums - garlic chives, chives, and onions are efffective against aphids and spider mites.

See below links for more tips from rosarian Field Roebuck:

Here is a link that might be useful: Field Roebuck book on roses

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

I put up the question once before on rose site . One answer I got back was maybe it was effects of the winter. But now a lot of my leaves have been eaten into plus I saw some spider webbing at the top then I knew and it also looks just like all the images on yahoo of mite damage on roses.

What I used was a mix of some horticultural spray oil with water and a couple drops of dish soap. Ive already hit it twice and may hit again and hope it solves the problem.

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Hummersteve: That's a great idea, please let us know how that work out. I had spider-mite infestation before, that was tough. Thanks.

• allaboutrosegardening
    8 years ago

Wondering if the horticultural oil and dish soap remedy worked? I'm going to try something similar, but also adding rosemary essential oil. Any thoughts?

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions