Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ingredients for compost

Posted by roses4kris Zn7 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 07 at 19:51

I hope to organically grow roses, starting in the spring. I'm wondering if there are any particular things I should or should not include in my compost pile. Someone mentioned that peony clippings are bad but I've already put them in. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd also be interested in any advice on choosing appropriate roses for my zone and area (east TN). Any color is okay but I'd like a nice fragrance. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ingredients for compost

Some folks say anything plant or aminal, some folks don't put in any animal matter (meat, fish, bones, cheese, animal fat, animal feces, etc.). Read the FAQ and do a search at the Soil, Compost and Mulch forum for more input.

Here is a link that might be useful: Composting at Home - OSU Fact Sheet

o

Thanks, Diane, for your response and the links. I'm pretty much on track with the advice they gave. I'm still wondering about being told not to use peony stems. Does that ring a bell with you at all? I also wonder if the black spots that are sometimes on peony leaves the same as the BS that affects roses. Any thoughts from anyone?

o

This is a quite late reply but the black spots you see on Peonies are not the same thing as Black Spot on Roses. You can compost those Peonies just as you can compost anything else. There is a lot of research out there that indicates that composting diseased plant tissue can result in antibodies in your soil to those diseases that will help your plants better resist infection. I do not allow any plant material that grows on my property to leave, if it is not put right back into the soil it grew from it is composted.

o

Can you tell us where to get more info on antibodies in the soil, kimmsr? I'd love to try to use the information to strengthen my roses against several diseases.

o

The link below will take you to one of many articles about this subject. I had a link to an study done by Dr. Leon Hoitink but Ohio State must have taken that one off.

Here is a link that might be useful: About soil borne disease suppression

o

kimmsr, that is a great link, thank you. Not only did I learn but actually got sources for some cool microbes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here