Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Selecting Roses for Long Island

Posted by birdwoman z6NY (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 14:41

I reside on the eastern northshore of Long Island. In the summer it gets hot and "very humid" here. Last summer I bought a number of roses bushes, some of which contacted blackspot (midas touch, midnight blue, scentimental in particular). I am a newbie to roses and am considering the following additions:
Hot Cocoa
Easy Does It
Blueberry Hill
Memorial Day
Molineux
Cherry Parfait
Purple Rain
Tournament of Roses
Cinco de Mayo
Gold Badge CL
John Cabot CL
Night Owl CL
Lady Ashe (Pillar)
I would appreciate any input on the above success rate of these roses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Selecting Roses for Long Island

Memorial Day and Tournament of Roses (or any other hybrid tea) will not be resistant.

The Austins have resistance issues too.

We grow Hot Cocoa here in a no-spray garden, and it defoliates by the end of the season.

I recommend that you look at the "Fairy Tale" series offered by Palatine Roses. These have been very resistant here for me (I am 5 mile inland from the Atlantic, and 1/4 mile south of a river).

o

If your a newbie I would start off with the native roses....pasture rose (Rosa carolina). Super easy, drought tolerant, adapted to your climate, few pests and diseases.

o

if you want to know various roses, for island and also for gardening purpose..then visit our site sendlfowersandmore.com provides you largest collection of roses and flowers....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here