Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluegirl_gw

protection cuttings with hoop house

bluegirl_gw
10 years ago

I posted about how well hot-beds & hoop houses worked for rooting fall cuttings but don't have photos. This method provided bottom heat, humidity & frost protection. Cuttings not only rooted but matured very well.

This guy has excellent videos of hoop houses, etc. this is similar to the hot beds I used to protect tropicals in winter, root cuttings & keep things moist in summer when I lived in a different climate zone. I dug out a bed under the hoops & filled it with rotting hay for warmth for winter protection & rooting cuttings. In spring I'd use the great humus, & sink pots in the trench to use as a water well to keep things moist during the hottest part of the year.

I need to get some built for this colder zone 8 desert area. Instead of digging out a trench I'll need to build up a bed of hay, leaves,etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efQYpzNJOiE

Comments (3)

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Thank you, Bluegirl, for that excellent video of Hoop-house. It's so cute, would fit in with any garden. It beats an expensive green house. It also works in protecting roses in cold zone. I have a dark unheated garage, and all my cuttings survived last winter, zone 5a.

I re-post Bluegirl link to make it easier to click on the link to see the video on how to build a Hoop-house, or mini-green house.

Here is a link that might be useful: You-tube on how to build a mini-green house

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

I looked over Cactus_Joe's amazing pics. of vibrant Austin roses, and re-read his instructions on pots: He uses sunshine Mix #4 potting mix, plus 1/3 composted pine bark, plus 1 fist of bonemeal for every 5 gallons. He put Osmocote in (lasts for 4 months), then starting in July he fertilizes at least once a week with soluble fertilizer. Thank you, Catus_Joe, for sharing your tips with others. See link below for Cactus_Joe's member page with tips:

http://www.gardenweb.com/auth/nph-logincheck.cgi?action=public_profile&user=cactus_joe

Since his climate is rainy PNW, it's a fast-drainage mix. Here's an excerpt of ingredients in sunshine Mix #4:
    http://www.altgarden.com/plant-growing-mediums/soil-less/sunshine-mix-4.html

"Sunshine Mix #4 is recommended where high air capacity and fast drainage are needed (automatic watering systems): during colder months, with water or salt sensitive crops, or where frequent leaching is required. Formulated with Canadian sphagnum peat moss, coarse grade perlite (40%), gypsum, dolomitic lime, and a long-lasting wetting agent. By a special arrangement with Brew & Grow, Sun Gro is adding multiple strains of beneficial mycorrhizae fungi to our shipments of Sunshine Mix #4. "

Two years ago when I had 20+ pots of young roses, I grew some in MiracleGro Organic potting soil, with large chunks of pine barks mixed in. I foolishly threw the large chunks away. Through "Hugel gardening" I realize that roots benefit from those large chunks, they act as moisture-regulator for potting soil.

Below is a research on pepper seedlings, which showed the best growth was with MiracleGro Organic potting soil, next is MG Orchid mix, next is Scott's Premium potting soil, and next is MG cactus & citrus mix, near worst is Supersoil, MG seed-starter mix, and peat moss. And the ultimate worst for growing pepper seedlings is sand. See link below for pictures of that experiment.

I agree with the link below, I had the WORST experience with MG seed-starter mix, all my roses' seedlings died. When I check, the top was soaking wet, and the bottom of that mix was dry like sawdust. Too much peat moss prevented water from being evenly distributed to the bottom. Lousy MG seed-starter mix is 90 to 95% peatmoss. But the top-performer is Miracle Groî Organic Choice = 50-55% composted bark, plus peat moss, and poultry litter. See link below ... need to scroll WAY DOWN to see pics. of pepper seedlings:

Here is a link that might be useful: Experiment with pepper seedlings in different mediums

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 14:11

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Emgardener, or Gardenseek in the "Hugel garden blog" grew bumper crops of peppers, eggplants, fava beans in his 4 hours of foggy CA bay area. He also grew healthy roses, no diseases in pots. His best success in fixing heavy clay was to aerate with 50% wood chips.

I agree with Emgardener .. in my rock-hard heavy clay at pH 7.7, my best planting holes were fixed with 30 to 40% pine bark mulch (pH 4.5). Firefighter rose as 1st year own-root gave me 15+ blooms per flush, and 4 flushes for my short 6-months zone 5a summer. Below is Firefighter rose as gallon-size own-root, in 40% pine barks mixed with clay .. completely healthy, zero diseases, lots of buds: