Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsnowflake

WANTED: Any roses you're planning to shovel prune

redsnowflake
16 years ago

I already posted this, but today realized that the Exchange section is actually separate from the Discussion section. Thought it was all the same thing. =\ Sorry.

I've noticed from reading many threads that there are many instances that people shovel prune roses that others say do well for them.

Well, call me a glutton for punishment, but I want your unwanted roses. As long as they aren't dead, that is.

So, if anyone has any they are planning to chuck, and would send to me for postage, please let me know.

FWIW - I'm only interested in roses that look like roses. For instance, I personally do not care for Knock Out roses, or any others with similarly shaped blooms. No offense to anyone who does like them, but they just don't look like roses to me. And if I'm going to have a rose, I want one that looks like a rose. ;^)

Comments (7)

• catsrose
    16 years ago

Dear redsnowflake,
    Before someone bashes you for your concept of what a rose is supposed to look like, may I suggest you take a look the "species" roses (usually found among antiques roses). These are--more-or-less--the original forms of the rose. Most are very simple, five-petal affairs that usually bloom only in the spring, and tend to be very, very fragrant. I'm guessing that your concept of a rose is the modern "florist style" hybrid teas. These are newcomers to the history of the rose. The Knock-Out roses are actually closer to the look of the original roses. The new multi-petaled English/David Austin roses look like the old Gallicas and Centifolias, which themselves are only a few hundreds of years old--still young in the long history of roses. Hope all is well with new baby.

• autumnshowers
    16 years ago

Those of of us who toss roses do so for many reasons.

1. We may not like them
    2. The roses don't do well in our area
    3. We don't have room

I have several I am going to toss because I don't like them.

You are welcome to research roses others toss at helpmefind.com

• redsnowflake
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Catsrose - thank you for the info. Yes, my ideal rose is the hybrid tea rose. I had no idea that original rose blooms look more like the Knock Out roses. Obviously, I am very new to roses. And our new baby, Little David, is doing great. Just turned 3 weeks old. Thanks for asking.

Autumnshowers - I understand that there are many reasons that people throw out roses. At the time I posted this, I was more green than I am now. I have since read quite a bit more, both here on this forum, on HMF.com as well as various other sources. I thank you for the reference to HMF though. It is a wonderful resource, in my humble opinion.

• mike_in_new_orleans
    16 years ago

Redsnowflake. I just wanted to say you don't need to apologize to anyone for your asthetic preferences when it comes to roses. Certainly learning the history of roses and their development through hybridizing can be fascinating and worthwhile. But I, for one, have known all that for quite some time and still greatly prefer the hybrid tea/florist rose types. I call that "Progress!" Just kidding. I know its simply all a matter of personal preference.

Too bad you aren't closer. I posted a few days ago that I have 4 roses that I'm looking for homes for, but so far no one has responded. But I'm not prepared to ship any of them. All but one are at least 3 years old and have grown beyond any convenient shipping size. : (

I think people often shovel prune out of convenience. Sometimes its actually hard to find people ready to take our cast-offs. I could talk to plenty of folks who would like free roses, in theory, but to actually take time to transport them, prepare a site, and plant, etc. they aren't always up for it. Too bad.
    Also, sometimes "shovelprune" is used in a broader sense of just getting rid of. People may say that but actually find adoptive homes for them. Finally, some bushes are just weak, and its reasonable to want to spare others the disappointment of trying to care for and nurture them only to have poor performance.

Mike, in New Orleans

• redsnowflake
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, no apologies for my preference - only for my ignorance. I do, indeed, love the fuller blooms of roses such as the Hybrid Teas. My tastes may evolve in time, but for now that is what I prefer. :)

By the way - sent you an email about those roses Mike.

• mgleason56
    16 years ago

Do I see a road trip to New Orleans in Amanda's future? By the way, I would not own a Knockout if you were to give it to me, plant it and come over each week and water it. I'll take HT's any day.

• redsnowflake
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, no trip for me. Just hoping to get a few cuttings. ;) If I could, I just might drive out there. When I was breeding American Pit Bull Terriers, I once drove out to Mayport, NC for a dog, so why not a rose. Actually, I made several trips for dogs back then. But the one to Mayport was the longest. About 7 hours - same as to New Orleans. But no road trips in my near future.