Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question..planting harvested seeds HELP :)

Posted by mmmgonzo z7 OR (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 19, 07 at 0:06

Hi all,

I need some guidance from those who have planted rose seedlings. I took a bunch of seeds from hips and they have been in the fridge for 2 months.

I bought one of those jiffy peat pellet things to plant the 8 or so that have sprouted a root while in the fridge. But now I need help.

For some varieties I literally have over 60 seeds, maybe 100. How do you all plant these? In a big flat with no divisions (is it hard to replant the sproutlings later?)
I am overwhelmed with the cost and SPACE this might take up.
There has to be an easier way than what I am doing.

Any info/insight/suggestions appreciated.

I did read somewhere some put the seeds in baggies filled with moist sand and check for roots that way? Then plant?
Does it work?

Thanks,
Marleah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question..planting harvested seeds HELP :)

Marleah,

I know this is late, but better late then never.

I plant mine in individual cups, the 7oz or so plastic cups you can get at the grocery store near the paper plates. They work great for me, but I am running out of room quickly, and with the surgery this year, I may not be able to make any additional areas of lighting, so that can be a problem.

I do store them in the fridge in a baggie of damp coir until I see sprouts and then plant them in the cups, that does save some space in the beginning.

I hope this helps at least some.

Gerry

o
RE: Question..planting harvested seeds HELP :)

Thank you Gerry for your information and help.

So far I have only had one plant that I harvested hips from sprout in the fridge. I was hoping the others would follow suit. I have planted a few just to see if they will germinate in the peat pots .

One more question to anyone who is reading and can help.

Right now I have some roses in the peat pots with 2 sets of rose leaves, some have 3... they are still so tiny. Do they go into pots now or do I leave them in the peat pots to get bigger? Since they have made it so far, I dont want to do anything stupid and would like to see some blooms.

Thanks!
Marleah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here