Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jont1

Rose Seed question....

jont1
14 years ago

I just thought of a question about germinating rose seeds.

My other posting here in Propagation I talked about my germinating rose seeds. I still have about 15 or so more seeds in the fridge that were started stratifying the beginning of November. I generally stratify my seeds for three months then take them out and plant them. If after a month planted they don't germinate I dig them back out and put them back in fridge for another 6-8 weeks and then repeat the process again until I eventually give up on them altogether way down the road.

I am just wondering how other hybridyzers handle the planting and re-stratifying of their seeds in regards of lengths of time planted and in the fridge.

I am wondering that since I have had such good germination of this cross in the fridge if I should continue to leave them there until the three months is up and then plant them and see what happens or since it has been a week since I took out a germinated seedling if I should go ahead and push the envelope and plant them to see if the change urges more of them to germinate?? Does that make sense??

I also have taken 5 germinations of Happy Chappy X Roseberry Blanket out of the fridge and I haven't seen any more germinations since that time about a week ago as well.

I only have 15 of the Vavoom/Day Breaker seeds left but LOTS of the Happy Chappy/Roseberry Blanket roses.

I think I just should maybe try to be patient and wait out the next month anyway and leave them be before taking them out and planting them.

Patience is such a hard thing for me.....

John

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm