Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerry_wyomingpa

Rooting...Coir-vs-sand

gerry_wyomingpa
18 years ago

I will be receiving a few cuttings this week and am wondering which would be better?

Anyone who has used both, please tell me what you think.

I am already at a disadvantage by trying to root indoors in the winter under flourescents. I managed some last year, but not a good ratio of roots to rot. Last year I used sand and a sand potting mix combination, but I do not remember which was better. During summer rooting I did MUCH better with plain, slightly moist peat or sifted pinebark mulch than I did with the sand.

Comments (4)

• elks
    18 years ago

Coir if you have it. It drains perfectly, seems to have some anti-fungal properties and enough grit or roughage to make roots grow big. It smokes anything friends of mine, who have more experience with different rooting mediums than I, and I have tried. The cut-rose trade also use it in their pots, but you've read me write all this before.
    Steve.

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Steve,

I know that people were growing in it, actually say a show on TV one time about the pro growers growing in coir. Wasent sure how it would do as rooting medium. As I said, I have used sand, but the roots seem kinda small and fragile, and I am going to need big roots, fast.

Thanks for responding

Gerry

• elks
    18 years ago

You've probably seen this, Gerry, but here goes...

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting Cuttings

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Steve,

Thanks, I have seen that before, but always good to re-read it.

Gerry