Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinus_gw

cuttings turning yellow!! HELP please

tinus
17 years ago

Hello everyone, untill now my cuttings of a rambler where looking fine and making leaves, in plastic bottles without tops, some have holes in the bottom , some don't.

Since three days their leaves are turning yellow starting at the bottom - I think I should poke holes in All bottoms - but the ones who have them are turning yellow also - What can this be? I've noticed they are rooting - I don't want to loose them! I don't use any products (Hormones - fungicides)- but if it will save these roses I might do so- but I'm not sure about what to do/what to buy?

I'm thinking of putting in dishwashliquid - bananapeels ...Ive kept an eye on them during the weekend..they are ALL turning yellow!!! Please HELP !

Comments (7)

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

tinus - I'm no pro yet :-) But sometimes the leaves will fall off and new ones will grow in their place. You can still have roots forming with yellow leaves. I would remove the dead, yellow leaves. And I would put drain holes in. I put drain holes in everything I propagte to insure good drainage. Many things will rot without drainage.

Also, if you could put them under grow lights (or a sunny south window) with bottom heat that would help. How long has it been since you stuck them?

• tinus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, irish.....
    I stuck them a little before Xmas -
    They 've been in the kitchen, but I moved them to the bathroom - I put them back in the kitchen (maybe the bathroom is to cold at night or to humid) The leaves are hanging down - yellow, but not dry...

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

If they have roots and new leaves, have you tried feeding them a verrrry dilute fertilizer? Maybe they are just needing nutrients, and absorbing some leaves to get them?

I agree with Maureen about drain holes. Roses seem much happier with great drainage.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

Tinus - they need lots of light. Is your bathroom sunny enough? I have mine under grow lights, or in a sunny windowsill.

• george_mander
    17 years ago

Have a look at my own root cutting SetUp under lights in my basement.

Good luck
    George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence

• tinus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all for your advice!
    I have put holes in the bottoms - I will get some fertilizer, And...my DH came home with a giant neonlight today, longer than me !! He probably has enough of me going on about my rose-children....
    The light is 400 watt...
    Besides yellow leaves I noticed the small branches coming off the main cutting are sort of rippling, they look as if un-ironed - not smooth....but they do have enough watering...
    George Mander, I took a very good look at your basement about two months ago! Look at me now!! I hold you responsable for all this!! And I am soooo happy...
    Thank you for the inspiration - your story gave me a lot of courage, I went rosehip-hunting immediatly and i'm becoming ambitious again!
    What is more important...light or warm temperature?
    I'm still wondering wether to put the light in the basement (cold) or in the attic (warmer)...
    Michelle, I studied your site as well, the little white babyrose....wonderfull!

tinus

• george_mander
    17 years ago

Hello tinus in France,
    I would say that light is more important than temperature.
    If temperature is below 20 degreees C. it will work Ok, but cuttings will root slower. Try not to go below 16 to 18 degr. C.
    I am rooting a new mini right now (again "ALL winter") in the basement and I have bottom heat to keep the temp. 20 to 22 C.
    After rooting I raise the temperature (bottom heat) to 25-26 degrees C.
    Since October I made about 50 new cuttings. Taking cuttings from outside I lost 2 out of 20. Now I take all my cuttings from plants grown indoors and I am getting 100 percent rooted in 18 to 24 days.
    For those who have never seen my indoor operation with 30 images and lots of info for rooting roses I will give you the link to my web-site below.

Good luck George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Own Root Cuttings Setup Gallery

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus