Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soap_lady

When is the best time to start cuttings?

soap-lady
16 years ago

Hello all!

I am totally new to propagating roses.

When I bought my first home many years ago,the yard was a mess and there was a mysterious bush in the front yard. I hacked away at it and tried to kill it with no luck.

I could not dig it up, so I just left it there for another day.

To my utter amazement and pleasure, this bush that I tried to kill bloomed the most beautiful roses I had ever seen.

The bush was about 5 feet tall, bloomed profusely only during June and had the most heady wonderful fragrance I had ever smelled. The roses were so full and had so many petals, it reminded me of a Peony. I believe it was an antique Rose bush.

I have never forgotten that rose bush but was always too embarassed to go to the new homeowner and beg for some cuttings.

Well, my husband was driving through the old neighborhood and called me from his cell phone to tell me that the house had been leveled. I made him get out of the truck immediately,locate the rose bush and get me allot of cuttings from it.

The cuttings have been in a bucket of water in our insulated garage since then. The rose leaves have died but the actual stems are green with tiny bud swellings all along them.

Last night, I nervously took 3 small cuttings and have begun to try and root them.

My question is, when is the best time to root these cuttings?

I am afraid if I wait until it is closer to spring, all will be lost. It does not truly get warm here until the end of April/beginning of May.

If I get them rooted now, how do I keep them alive during the long winter here?

Sorry for the length of the post.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery