Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melindatx_gw

how and when to propagate ???

melindatx
18 years ago

after reading all these great post,I would like to start this thread( if I may) for us new rose garderners that want to propagate but don't hava a clue where to start. (Myself included :)

When is the best time to propagate? What materials do you use? Which method works best ? Inside or outside ? How long does it take before you can saftly say your method did not work?

Please contribute a little something to help us newbies. Thanks in advance for all tips and advice.

Comments (4)

• rozanna
    18 years ago

Best time to propogate in our area is really late summer and fall but I do it year round - if they die, they die.

and my method and a $1.00 might get you a cup of coffee

Remember everyone has their own little microclimate and even different places in your yard may be better or worse for cuttings to root

1. hold your mouth right
    2. keep trying

I use steril soilless potting mix - think it is seed starter. I have tried coi but didnot mix it with perlite so did not have much success. Anyway the seed starter mix (no fertilizer) works best for me.

I use clear solo cups with holes in the bottom filled with moist potting mix. I have started imersing my cuttings in a bath of very weak miracle gro, fungacide and superthirive. Not sure if the miracle gro or superthrive helps but from experience I know that the fungacide does help

remove 2 sets of lower leaves, cut off stem below lowest set of nodes, wound the stem with thumbnail on 2 sides

I started disolving my rooting hormone in water and dipping the cuttings in the hormone solution and that seems to have upped the success rate - not so many camel toes for caluses

stick the treat ed cutting into my cup of moist mix but Lisa pointed out to me some time ago not to stick to the bottom of the pot - something about pooled moisture.

take a zip loc bag and put it over the top - zip it up as much as possible - it doesn't have to be airtight. Place on the ground in filtered light in an area where the ground stays moist. In the absence of a moist (not wet) spot in your yard you can fill a tray with a little water and put something in it to set the pots on so they are out of the water. They will get the humidity but not be soggy. Go away and leave them alone (I know, hard to do)

The nice thing about plastic cups is that you can see roots and the baggies keep the humidity up. and for some reason if you stick more than 1 cutting in a pot it works better - don't ask me why but I guess they like company

• melindatx
    Original Author
    18 years ago

tahnks for the great advice !

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

My method's a little different but it has worked. I usually take cuttings in late spring/early summer. The cuttings are 5-8". I take off all of the leaves but the top 2 or 3, wound the skin on one side with a knife, dip in a liquid rooting hormone like Dip n'Grow, and put in potting mix (I use Miracle Gro) in a quart pot. I poke a hole in the mix before sticking the cutting so the hormone won't be wiped off. Then I put the cutting out in the open (not on a porch, although an open porch would be the same difference as far as air circulation), in filtered shade. It's important not to disturb the new roots until the plant has put out new growth, so if it still hasn't put out much new growth in the fall just sink the pot in the ground until the following spring.

• melindatx
    Original Author
    18 years ago

wow ! it sounds so cool.I can't wait to try it !

Sponsored