Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nod702

Thanks for the tutorial

nod702
15 years ago

Just wanted to thank hartrose (Connie) for posting the rose propagation tutorial and all the other folks for providing information. The only reason i tried rooting so many cuttings from two rose bushes was i figured if i only got 1 or 2 to root i would be happy. Never expected them all to root.I've got the bug now. Not sure about the apple tree yet as i'm still researching as the best way to attempt to get a start from it.lol

Comments (10)

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Can you post a link to the tutorial, please?

• hartwood
    15 years ago

I'm SO glad that my Rose Rooting tutorial is helping others learn to root their own roses. When my friend showed me how to do this a couple of years ago, I couldn't believe how simple it turned out to be. No special equipment needed ... just a supply of rose cuttings and some recycled containers.

After my first success rooting French Lace, I went fairly wild rooting everything in sight. Here's what my basement looked like last winter:

{{gwi:223162}}

Follow my directions, wait a few weeks, and you should see this:

It's not rocket science ... but it sure seems like magic sometimes.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Rooting Tutorial

• sengyan
    15 years ago

Hi Connie. Your Tutorial is not accessible. Are you having too much traffic?

Sengyan

• hartwood
    15 years ago

Sengyan, I'm sorry you couldn't access the tutorial. (I don't think traffic is an issue ... I'll have to ask DH -- he's the web master.) I just clicked on the above link to test it, and I got right there. It may have been a momentary host problem when you tried it.

If the link doesn't work for you, go through the home page: www.hartwoodroses.com.

Connie

• lesdvs9
    15 years ago

Hi Connie, my cuttings last spring didn't grow following someone else's instructions. My cuttings last Nov following yours did, thank you very much.
    My cuttings are now sitting in morning sunlight without tops. At what point do you transplant them into other pots? What size pots would you put them into would be the next question I'm really asking. Mine are are starting to leaf out and I have no idea what to do with them next. I've bought bands in smaller pots than these, how long can rose cuttings grown into plants stay in these bottoms?
    I'd appreciate your advice, I couldn't find that on your site.
    Leslie

• hartwood
    15 years ago

Leslie, I'm thrilled that your roses rooted! Which ones were they?

I was usually pretty anxious to use my milk jug and soda bottle again when the rose roots. Once it shows good roots and has started growing well on top, I repot into gallon pots and treat them like a band. It's perfectly okay, though, to leave it growing in the jug longer than that if you want. It's a half-gallon pot, after all.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Connie

• sengyan
    15 years ago

Hi Connie,

I was able to access your rooting tutorial and found it to be excellent and simple. I have a question. Is it possible to use coconut coir instead of the Spagnum moss? I have lots of coir but no moss.

Sengyan

• hartwood
    15 years ago

Sengyan, I think coir would work just fine. I've never used it myself, but some posters here use it with good results -- as long as it holds moisture, but not too much as to cause rot.

Connie

• elks
    15 years ago

I just answered another post on this.

Coir is superb. It drains perfectly, but retains enough moisture. Some believe it has anti-fungal properties, but I don't know about that. I add a little home-made compost, but it is not necessary.

Steve.

• lesdvs9
    15 years ago

Hey Connie, I forgot to come back and look, LOL* I've been busy. One of the ones I've got growing is Lavender Crystal, there aren't any vendors for this rose and a friend asked for it. I did 2 and 3 cuttings of every rose, 5 different roses to try to make sure I got viable cuttings. One of the cuttings for Lavender Crystal didn't make it, it got like fuzzy white mold on it. I only did two on it, but the other did great and it already has one tiny rose bud:)

I did the cuttings for friends. Mainly an experiment to see if I could. These were left out on the back porch against the house on the north side from late Nov to mid of Jan which was very mild. When it dipped below 32 they had already had the tops off and I transferred them to the garage near the door where they still got light but shelter.

Right now they go out in the day and come back in at night when the temps still hit low 30's just to be on the safe side. I have them on a tray for easy to and fro.

Gal huh, I go by pot size, so that would be like a 12" pot. At the rate these are growing I think I can send them away in a couple of months.

Thanks again for your easy info to follow. BTW, I don't drink sodas and got them from my son, one was a 7-up and it didn't seem to matter the bottle was green, the cutting grew as well as the clear bottles. I watched that one close and finally got a replacement in case I needed to switch. Those cuttings inside did as well as the others.
    Les

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures