Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irish_rose_grower

Will cuttings root indoors this time of year?

irish_rose_grower
17 years ago

I'm itching to try cuttings indoors. Will they root now? They are going dormant - if not dormant already.

Anyone have any success with this?

Comments (23)

• gerry_wyomingpa
    17 years ago

Hey Maureen,

I have had it happen before, and just yesterday I transplanted a few that I had in hiding before I went into the hospital, that one is a rambler and had rooted at every node along the stem, and I mean even those NOT in medium, just the humidity of the bag.

If you have a little spare space try it, I still have a few inside that you sent me and I am waiting to see what happens, they all have calluses.

Gerry

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh Gerry, welcome back. How are you feeling? Thanks for the info. I'm going to save a few soda bottles and try some indoors.

Thanks
    Maureen

• tinus
    17 years ago

Hi Irish rosegrower,...
    I received cuttings around X'mas, put them into plastic bottles, without the tops (cuttings too long)....they started making leaves within a week and are doing very well! Last week took cuttings of a rosebush ' Felicia', I stuck them in pots with ordinary gardensoil, they are looking fine as well, and the buds on the stems are developping...it's my first try at rooting in the winter,and I am so amazed!!
    Good luck to you and greetings!

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

Irish

See my post on the florist roses. If you would like, I would be more than happy to walk you through this. I am getting ready Saturday for a new batch of florist roses. If you would like to check out some of the florist roses i have rooted over the winter, check out my link below. Click on the "plants grown" tab, and then click on "by class" to see the florist roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gleason's Michigan Rose Garden

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tinus - thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to try. I have to make room on my plant stand. It's covered with african violets.

Mgleason - I'm going to take a look at the post on the florist post. I started before and got called to make my son dinner :-) Wow, I'm amazed that you root florist roses. I'm going to the florist tomorrow. How many of each do you buy? And do you buy, and then cut off the bloom to root it, or do you enjoy the bloom for a few days, then start the rooting? I would love to pick your brain, thanks for the invite:-) I'm going to contact you when I get the roses to try.

Your florist roses you grow are amazing. I love pacifica.

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

Irish,

That pic of pacifica was, as you can probably see, taken at my kitchen table in the dead of winter. Did pretty well outside, but does get BS. I usually buy three of four of one type. From that i can usually get 8-10 cuttings started. I cut them immediately and then float the bloom in a bowl.

Here is the link to George Mander's article on indoor cuttings. Good luck finding the potting medium he uses. I use coir instead, and it works great!

By the way, my family is from Carrowkeale, Tipperary, Ireland.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mgleason - thank you so much for this info. George Mander's website is great. I got 2 very long stemmed Latin Dreamer rose. If you do a search on yahoo and type in latin dreamer rose you will get one pic of the bloom. I should get about 6 cuttings from these 2 blooms. (5.00 each, wow - I didn't think they were that much money). I'll let you know how it goes. I'm very excited to try. They only had one rose that was named, and I wasn't crazy about the red/pinks they had so I just got this one.

My family is from County Galway.

Take care
    Maureen

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

I spent a few hours hitting the florist today, but only came out with two varieties;
    Blue Curiosa
    Lipstick

I am not sure about Blue Curiosa. The leaves were falling off as I was cutting for the pots. All the other roses were not named, or not of interest to me.

• george_mander
    17 years ago

Thank you mgleason56 for posting my Own-Root Gallery.
    Was just doing the same. Here it is again.
    George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Own Root Cuttings Setup Gallery

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mgleason - hi, how many florists do you visit, or do you just go to one looking to see what they have? I have my set up going, grow lights and bottom heat. I'm so excited. I'll let you know how I do.

George - I am so excited to be getting one of your own roses!! I think it's called Glowing Amber -- I found it on Nor East website, and did some research, it is an amazing beauty. And I was so happy to hear you were the hybridizer!! It's one of my first mini's.

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

Irish,
    I'll hit about 5 on the weekend seeing what they have in the coolers. I do not get any that are not named. I also make sure they have lots of leaves on them. George has some really great roses out there.

• flower2sew
    17 years ago

Last week I set up a Manders/mgleason set up and bought Hot Lady and Tango. After just one week, there is significant growth. Today I went to the florist and bought Isobel.

I couldn't find anything about Hot Lady - maybe it is really Hot Princess, however, I think that the color of Hot Lady is more red.

I couldn't find any info about Isobel either.

Mike - did you ever find Simsalabim?
    Dawn

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

Still looking for Simsalabim!

Here is what I just got back from the florist with;

Jade - Tantau
    Charlene - Cannot find any info yet, but was told this was a brand new variety. Medium red blooms
    Caballero - Dark Red Tantau rose
    Anna - Pekmez rose. Patented here, but has never been commercially available
    Konfetti - Tantau. I have this already, but I have had lots of requests for it.

There were a ton more, but I only had room for these. I was lucky and they had just come in this morning.

• gerry_wyomingpa
    17 years ago

Maureen,

I ment to post this to you the other day, one of the Ispahan cuttings you sent has rooted. I potted it into a pot (cup) of it's own, hopefully it makes the transition.

Gerry

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great news Gerry. I heard Ispahan is not so easy to root. Well done.

• Digmatology
    12 years ago

Wow the last post to this question was in 07. The original question seemed to be what is the best time of year to do rose cuttings. I think and I don't believe that there was any clear resolution of the question at least in my mind I am still left wondering, "Will they root now? They are going dormant - if not dormant already. Anyone have any success with this?"

To that end I just got out my rooting compound and did 20 cuttings from one of my rose bushes. Punched holes in the ground with a stake and stuck the cutting in the holes. If all goes well I will have a wall of roses. If not I guess I will have a space to try again in spring. It is 12/16/2011 in Zone 8 the bed is well mulched and retains moisture fairly well. I will return with an update.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Digmatology, there are SO many variables to consider, it's impossible to say exactly yes or no. Yes, some will have success right now if they meet the basic requirements necessary for their climate, type of wood available, specific rose type, etc. Others, won't.

You have hard wood (dormant) and soft wood (actively growing). You have some types which refuse to root at all; some which root best from soft wood in warmer weather; some which will root best from hard wood over colder times; some which do about the same no matter which you try. You have methods which are completely unsuitable for each climate type and others which work beautifully in many. Add roses which are not in the best of shape, lacking the necessary resources to callus and root, and you short circuit the process no matter which one you try.

If the wood you have to use is suitable for your climate and time of year; the variety of rose selected is able to root well, at this time of year and using the method you've chosen; the method you've chosen is suitable for all of the above and you've accomplished the minimum necessary for all of the variables, you should succeed. The whole trick is discovering the answers to all of these questions, then doing them correctly. Kim

• maj742 (zone 4-5) north-central WI
    12 years ago

Four weeks ago (November 15), just before Thanksgiving, I took 19 cuttings from a rose in the yard. I did the root hormone thing, then put the cuttings into clear cups with seed starter, then into zip lock bags. They are in a south window curtained with sheers inside the house. I turn a goose-neck light on above when it is cloudy and in the evening. Today there are 11 with definite roots (as long as 1.5 inches) and 8 that are still green but showing no roots yet.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Wow, that's great, Maj! I had some cuttings inside this fall but they didn't make it.

12 years ago

I used to lose most of my cuttings to mold, fungus, and the like. Now, when I take rose cuttings I immediately slip the cutting into a 5 gallon pail filled almost to the top with water and a sprinkling (1/2 tsp or so) of Sevin pesticide and Captan fungicide. I let the cuttings soak and float in that solution while I prepare the cups or pots.
    As I remove a cutting from the bath I nip the top weak upper growing point off, and remove all but the top 2 leaves. I cut those remaining leaves down by half to reduce the green surface. I cut the bottom stem just under a node at a slant, then slice the side opposite that node with a razor lengthwise about 3/4 inch. Finally dip the bottom in rooting hormone. Pre-poke holes in pots with a pencil.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tips! I do a similar process but don't presoak them.

12 years ago

It is so EXCELLENT to be able to watch baby rose roots forming on rose cuttings in clear plastic cups indoors in December in central Wisconsin while outdoor gardening has come to a halt. I may survive winter after all.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I used Captan years ago to prevent damp off of my seedlings. It's been banned here in California for several years. I hope you're using good rubber gloves and excellent ventilation. Though Sevin is less toxic to warm blooded animals than many, it's highly toxic to bees and I wouldn't want either chemical to build up inside me, or where I "live".

I've head of people using a bleach solution to accomplish much of the same function as you're using the Captan to do. Kim

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH