Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellva

more than one cutting per pot??? and now in January?

shellva
17 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am going to take the plunge and try my hand at propagating some of my roses. I've done a search looking for suggestions but now I still have some questions.

1> Several posters here have mentioned putting more than one cutting in the same pot. If by some miracle all cuttings in a pot took, would I plant out the entire thing as one plant or would I seperate and then have that many individual plants?

2> Can I make some cuttings now??? I want to try Don Juan. I went out this morning and looked at it and even though it's near the end of January, it has parts with healthy looking leaves on it and it looks like it wants to bud out. Can I go ahead and do it now for this particular rose?

3> I thought I read somewhere that the timing for taking cuttings of gallicas is a bit different than other roses. I want to propagate my Duchesse de Montebello. Again, can I make cuttings of this one in late January? I don't see any signs of budding out on this one. If not, when is the best time to take cuttings from a Gallica?

I am not ready to try just sticking a cutting in the ground. I am more interested in cuttings that are in a pot and brough into the house. Just thought I'd clarify that in case there is a major difference between the two methods.

Thank you in advance to whomever decides to post to my thread.

Michelle

Comments (4)