Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bare-rooting roses

Posted by michelle_co z5 CO (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 30, 07 at 10:51

Hi,

Does anyone know approx. how old roses need to be before the soil can be washed off and they can survive shipping as bareroots?

I am considering sacrificing one of my rooted roses as a test, washing the roots, and seeing how much root mass has grown.

Some of my Moore roses were shipped to me as bareroots, and I think they were a full year old.

Cheers,
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bare-rooting roses

I ship bare-root roses when dormant. Sometimes these are only 3 to 4 months old. I shipped very small bare root, own root minis to England some years ago. With some delay for inspection it took 3 weeks to get to my friend and they were in excelent condition. It all depends how well you pack them.

Good luck

George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence

o
RE: bare-rooting roses

I have shipped live HT roses bare-root that are only about 6 months old and they have survived very well. I gently wash off the potting soil, and then wrap in newspaper. I soak the paper thoroughly, and then place in plastic bag and tie bag so water does not leak. I then place, again gently, in a USP box and stuff remainder of box with dry newspaper. Send Priority mail and have them stamp it as fragile.

Here in Michigan, the only way to ship live roses is this method unless I have the state come out inspect and issue a phytosanitary certificate. Without the certificate, I can ship to all but a few western states with having just a simple nursery license that runs about $75 per year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here