Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danty_gw

My propagation set-up

danty
10 years ago

I took a few photos from the upcoming video I am making on my rose cutting system.
GROWING TRAY WITH DOME COVER

OPEN GROWING TRAY

ROOTED CUTTINGS IN GROW CUP

CUTTINGS TRANSFERRED TO COLDFRAME

Dan

This post was edited by danty on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 11:15

Comments (17)

• justkristyj
    10 years ago

Nice set up Dan. Do you use an automatic mister?

• danty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kristy
    Truth be told -- there's no mister.
    That's the beauty of this system.
    Once the cuttings are in the grow cups -- with the soil media just barely moist -- that's it.
    All you need to do is spray them with a hand sprayer twice a day with spring water.

Notice the red arrow with the comment about keeping the vents closed.
    The dome keeps the humidity up and you never have to add water to the grow cups or run any kind of mister.

I have a 24" fluorescent grow light about 6" above the domes -- which runs 24 hours a day.
    Inside anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks most of the cuttings are rooted.

Its taken me about three growing seasons to work out this set-up.
    I do have some more improvements I want to make -- but those are for the cuttings after they are moved from the indoor grow trays to outdoors on my lattice-covered patio.

Dan

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Well you can't argue with those results! Good system, Dan!

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Do you use the same potting mix for sticking the cuttings and potting up the rooted ones? And what kind is it?

Susie

• danty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Susie -- yes, I use the exact same potting mix for both sticking the cuttings and potting them up after rooting.

The absolute best mix I have found is called Sunshine #4 Advanced.
    I buy it online.
    The shipping makes it kind of expensive -- but a bag lasts me an entire growing season.
    And I grow over 200 cuttings a year.

Attached is a link to my online source.

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Greentrees Hydroponics

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Hi Dan
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I had read about the Sunshine Mix and found a place locally to get it - so that's great that it works so well and you do so many cuttings each year.

You must have a lot of property! And how beautiful it must be loaded with roses!

With envy,
    Susie

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

What else do you root beside roses? Their looks to be something else in there :)

• hf.roses
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing.
    Do you use rooting hormone?
    The grow cups are they something special or are
    they drinking cups?
    The rose you sent are doing wonderful.
    Thanks Jolynn

• danty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jolynn,
    Yes, I do use rooting hormone.
    The brand I prefer is Dip 'n Grow.
    Its a liquid concentrate . . and I use the 10:1 dilution.

The grow cups (as I call them) are simply clear plastic 9 oz. cups I bought at the local party supply store.

That's great about the rose I sent you.

Dan

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Where do you get the taller plastic covers? Do they come separately or with the tray? Your cuttings look great - I am tempted to try my hand at rooting. Thanks.......
    Judith

• danty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judith,
    The dome covers are sold separately from the trays.
    I got them both at my local hydroponic store.

But you can buy them online.
    Check the link in one of the posts above for GREENTREES HYDROPONICS.

Dan

• Lorna1949
    10 years ago

hi My daughter works at a flower shop and brought me some long stem roses when the roses were finished I cut the stem in 2 and planted them in plastic cups and put another cup on top and now I see tiny green leaves coming we are in feb and not sure what to do next we will not be getting nice weather to plant till end of May. I planted 40 of them need some advice they are sitting on the window ledge I should take some pictures of some of them

• danty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lorna,
    That's impressive that those cuttings are sprouting leaves.
    In you're climate you will need to keep the cuttings indoors until mild weather arrives.
    Water very little to keep the cuttings from rotting.

You should realize that florists-type roses are specially bred to grow in high-production commercial greenhouses.
    They are not usually successfully grown outdoors in the garden.
    But it's worth a try to see how they do for you.

In any case if you can keep them growing until Spring and you check to see that they have truly rooted well then pot them up in slightly larger pots in a good potting mix.
    I don't think they will be ready to go into the ground until the following year.

Dan

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Great setup, Dan! I just bought a 24" light set up but don't know what kind/s of lights to use in it. Lowes had only the bright white and cool white lights to fit it so bought one of each. Could you give me advice on what kind of lights to use in my setup? Thanks!
    Judith

• Lorna1949
    10 years ago

Hi look for the word gro lights those are for growing plants or if you home depot ask for them

• danty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judith,
    Lorna is right.
    Its best to use a fluorescent grow bulb.
    If Home Depot doesn't have the size for your light you can get them online.

But it would be easier just to buy a complete "kit" -- which has a 24" fixture and the bulb together.
    They are pretty inexpensive from what I recall.
    I'm attaching a link to an online source.

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Light Supply

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

I've grown things under the regular fluorescents for years without problems. The special, expensive grow lights are only necessary if the setup is to produce flowers. So growing African violets year round under lights needs grow lights. Seed starting, rooting cuttings, and overwintering plants can get by with just light.

You may have problems because of the length of the bulb. Fluorescents don't put as much light at the ends, and a 24" tube is mostly end.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES