Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My propagation set-up

Posted by danty z9CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 11:00

I took a few photos from the upcoming video I am making on my rose cutting system.
GROWING TRAY WITH DOME COVER
Cuttings in covered grow trays photo ScreenShot2013-09-01at24120PM.jpg
OPEN GROWING TRAY
Cuttings in open grow tray photo Propbox-open.jpg
ROOTED CUTTINGS IN GROW CUP
Rooted cuttings in grow cup photo P8191760.jpg
CUTTINGS TRANSFERRED TO COLDFRAME
Cuttings in Cold Frame photo P8191749.jpg
Dan

This post was edited by danty on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 11:15

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My propagation set-up

Nice set up Dan. Do you use an automatic mister?

o

Thanks, Kristy
Truth be told -- there's no mister.
That's the beauty of this system.
Once the cuttings are in the grow cups -- with the soil media just barely moist -- that's it.
All you need to do is spray them with a hand sprayer twice a day with spring water.

Notice the red arrow with the comment about keeping the vents closed.
The dome keeps the humidity up and you never have to add water to the grow cups or run any kind of mister.

I have a 24" fluorescent grow light about 6" above the domes -- which runs 24 hours a day.
Inside anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks most of the cuttings are rooted.

Its taken me about three growing seasons to work out this set-up.
I do have some more improvements I want to make -- but those are for the cuttings after they are moved from the indoor grow trays to outdoors on my lattice-covered patio.

Dan

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 12:16

Well you can't argue with those results! Good system, Dan!

o

Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Do you use the same potting mix for sticking the cuttings and potting up the rooted ones? And what kind is it?

Susie

o

Susie -- yes, I use the exact same potting mix for both sticking the cuttings and potting them up after rooting.

The absolute best mix I have found is called Sunshine #4 Advanced.
I buy it online.
The shipping makes it kind of expensive -- but a bag lasts me an entire growing season.
And I grow over 200 cuttings a year.

Attached is a link to my online source.

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Greentrees Hydroponics

o

Hi Dan
Thanks for the quick reply.
I had read about the Sunshine Mix and found a place locally to get it - so that's great that it works so well and you do so many cuttings each year.

You must have a lot of property! And how beautiful it must be loaded with roses!

With envy,
Susie

o

What else do you root beside roses? Their looks to be something else in there :)

o

Thanks for sharing.
Do you use rooting hormone?
The grow cups are they something special or are
they drinking cups?
The rose you sent are doing wonderful.
Thanks Jolynn

o

Jolynn,
Yes, I do use rooting hormone.
The brand I prefer is Dip 'n Grow.
Its a liquid concentrate . . and I use the 10:1 dilution.

The grow cups (as I call them) are simply clear plastic 9 oz. cups I bought at the local party supply store.

That's great about the rose I sent you.

Dan

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 15:18

Where do you get the taller plastic covers? Do they come separately or with the tray? Your cuttings look great - I am tempted to try my hand at rooting. Thanks.......
Judith

o

Judith,
The dome covers are sold separately from the trays.
I got them both at my local hydroponic store.

But you can buy them online.
Check the link in one of the posts above for GREENTREES HYDROPONICS.

Dan

o

hi My daughter works at a flower shop and brought me some long stem roses when the roses were finished I cut the stem in 2 and planted them in plastic cups and put another cup on top and now I see tiny green leaves coming we are in feb and not sure what to do next we will not be getting nice weather to plant till end of May. I planted 40 of them need some advice they are sitting on the window ledge I should take some pictures of some of them

o

Lorna,
That's impressive that those cuttings are sprouting leaves.
In you're climate you will need to keep the cuttings indoors until mild weather arrives.
Water very little to keep the cuttings from rotting.

You should realize that florists-type roses are specially bred to grow in high-production commercial greenhouses.
They are not usually successfully grown outdoors in the garden.
But it's worth a try to see how they do for you.

In any case if you can keep them growing until Spring and you check to see that they have truly rooted well then pot them up in slightly larger pots in a good potting mix.
I don't think they will be ready to go into the ground until the following year.

Dan

o

Great setup, Dan! I just bought a 24" light set up but don't know what kind/s of lights to use in it. Lowes had only the bright white and cool white lights to fit it so bought one of each. Could you give me advice on what kind of lights to use in my setup? Thanks!
Judith

o

Hi look for the word gro lights those are for growing plants or if you home depot ask for them

o

Judith,
Lorna is right.
Its best to use a fluorescent grow bulb.
If Home Depot doesn't have the size for your light you can get them online.

But it would be easier just to buy a complete "kit" -- which has a 24" fixture and the bulb together.
They are pretty inexpensive from what I recall.
I'm attaching a link to an online source.

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Light Supply

o

I've grown things under the regular fluorescents for years without problems. The special, expensive grow lights are only necessary if the setup is to produce flowers. So growing African violets year round under lights needs grow lights. Seed starting, rooting cuttings, and overwintering plants can get by with just light.

You may have problems because of the length of the bulb. Fluorescents don't put as much light at the ends, and a 24" tube is mostly end.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here