Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to uncover Winter rootings?

Posted by robynb 9-CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 13, 10 at 11:04

After mixed success with potted rootings, I decided to try something different. I took 5 cuttings from the rose in the late Fall, trimmed them, and just stuck them into the ground under a healthy rose shrub, stuck jars or soda bottles upside-down partway into the soil over each one, and then walked away. Waited a couple months before I checked on them through the bottle glass, and when I did, all were still green and looked promising. I've checked them occasionally since (without lifting the bottles) and all have continued to look promising. Now I think I'm seeing some sprouting on them (yay!). Never having rooted this way before, I find myself unsure when I should uncover them. I'm thinking I should leave them covered because of frost, but if they actually leaf out they may start touching the sides of the jars, and I suspect that's bad. I don't want to disturb them too early and kill them, but I will need to dig them up at some point... Advice, please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to uncover Winter rootings?

I would acclimate the young plants that have been growing under 100% humidity protection very slowly to relatively harsh environment like direct sun, dryness and cold wind.

Then, I would have to realize that the root system is not as strong as Dr. Huey. The growth would probably begin very slowly and sometimes would not be strong enough to survive in my zone 5.

Last year, I had 100% success rate of rooting under the cover of plastic jug in spring. But I lost 70% of them thereafter. The one survived even had a couple of huge flowers in the first year. But I had to cover them again this winter with plastic jugs. Of course, I started new cuttings last fall as well. The zone 9 as yours would be easier, I guess.

After second year of survival, I would treat them as the ones I buy as own root plants from nurseries in Texas or California.

Yes, it is slow experimental (especially hybrid tea) process but fun.

o

You really have no way of knowing if you have any roots, foliage is not an indication. Take the covers off for about 30 minutes on a cloudy day. If they do not wilt put the covers back and try again the next day for an hour. When you can leave the covers off for several hours or all day without wilting you know you have roots and then only put the covers on at night as long as frost is a possibility. Al

o

Thank you, that was a helpful suggestion!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here