Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aesir22

Propagation from cuttings

aesir22
15 years ago

Hi all,

What is the best way to take a cutting from a rose? A neighbor has some that are really nice, and they said I can take cuttings if I can figure out the best way to do so, and the best time of year to do so. I'm in NE UK, so spring is a bit of a way off yet!

Comments (4)

• hartwood
    15 years ago

I find the best cutting to be a 5 or 6-bud stem with a dead flower on the end of it. It seems to be the perfect combination of just-tender-enough to root, and not-hard-and-barky. Cuttings with 'heel wood', the place where the cutting meets the main cane, root the absolute best for me.

Now is not the time to be taking cuttings in areas with cold winters. Wait until the roses have started growing again. I start taking my cuttings as soon as the first flush of bloom has started to wane, and I continue taking cuttings up until the first killing freeze in our area.

I have a photo tutorial on my web site that should help you through this process ... link below. If you have any questions, I will be happy to help. You can contact me through GW or through the link on the web site.

Hope this helps.
    Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Rooting Tutorial

• aesir22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Connie, thanks so much you have been really helpful. I am going to check the link out tomorrow after work - I wish I could now but I have to be up really early for work lol and need some sleep.

Thanks again, I will no doubt have further questions :D

• elks
    15 years ago

What an incredibly fine tutorial! Congratulations. You should be proud.

I find very interesting your cutting only into the bark and not the pith. I don't think I've ever heard that, nor tried it myself. I have always cut straight through the bottom of the cutting without too much care.

The moss and perlite are easy to find and fairly cheap. I've had best success with coir, but that is hard to find.

Thanks for adding that page to your business's website.

Steve.

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Thank you, hartwood, for your tutorial on rooting roses.

I had no idea roses could be rooted this way.

I had a florist arrangement from Valentines day that after two weeks, the flowers finally faded. As I was preparing to dump them in the trash, I realized the rose stems had broken out in a ton of new growth. Some new stems look like they are even trying to produce a new flower bud. I'm going to try and see if I can get them to root.

Thanks so much!
    Ryan

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County