Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Roses that Burrito Wrap and Root Well

Kippy
10 years ago

I thought I would start a series of topics for everyone to post their own experiences so we could have a data base to use when propagating.

Please add your experiences

Roses that burrito wrap well and root with winter burrito wrapping methods

Comments (4)

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Hi- I don't have a ton of experience with burrito wrapping, but I do get the impression that success with the method is much more climate-dependent than cultivar-dependent. I have absolutely no trouble getting a hardwood cutting to callus in a burrito here; I would say at least 80% of the cuttings I have tried callused well in two weeks. But none of them rooted once removed from the burrito; they all rotted. Others have great success.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I just recently tried doing the burrito method with florist roses. The very first one calloused beautifully and got me inspired to do some every week. Well, after a couple of months, I've had really not much success with it. The first ones that calloused well didn't make it once they got potted up. But I didn't have them covered well enough and we got a cold snap and they just turned black. Subsequent batches have mostly either not calloused and just turned black, or slightly calloused and then died after being potted. So far, tho I do have a handful that are looking good. I put them all in clear plastic cups in a plastic container with clear plastic covering them and heating pads underneath, with wet clay pebbles under the pots. I have to mist them at least once a day. There are a few that have swollen budeyes and are not turning black.

I decided I'm dropping the burrito method for the florist roses tho, and going to just pot the stems up with the leaves on. That seems to work better. I may try some of my own garden roses in the burritos later to see if they work. But for now, I'd say... definitely florist roses do not do well!

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I may be totally wrong but I think the burrito method works best on older hard wood and not green soft wood like a cut rose would be.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Yeah I'm sure you're right Seil. It's just that the very first one I tried calloused so well and so easily, I thought maybe it would work on others. WRONG. Oh well, it's all just experimental. Not a total loss tho. I just checked out there at the "incubator" and several of the ones that started to callous are hanging in there and swelling budeyes. So I may get a handful of them. It'll be a few weeks til I know if they truly did make it.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner