Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

I'm Hooked! Would love a thornless Darlow's Enigma

I have ordered my first Darlow's Enigma. This will be my wedding rose and will be in my hair. Not excited about wearing a crown of thorns, but I did find my thorn stripper today! Yay!

The wedding is a couple years off, so I have time! Considering pollinating with some others to see what I get. Any suggestions? Can you pollinate a climber with a hybrid tea?

I also plan to take cuttings and spread them among family members so we have plenty of blossoms for the wedding.

But the seed thing intrigues me! Look forward to your responses!

Comments (12)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm replying to my own message because you can't post a link on a new message, but I got my enthusiasm for pollinating seeds at this link. I'm very excited to see what I can do with Darlow's Enigma because it is NOT patented! I wish I knew it's history, but I searched the web and found zip!

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Pollination Instructions

Original Author
    15 years ago

I am trying to find the perfect thornless mate for my darlows enigma. What about Marie Pavie?

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

I'm just getting into growing roses from seeds... at this time, however, I am using only open pollinated hips. I am eagerly awaiting to see the blooms on my Darlow's Enigma seedlings. I have no idea who the father is, but Veichenblau is the closest rose in proximity....thornless.

Robert

Original Author
    15 years ago

Be sure to post how those blooms turn out! The colors will be interesting for sure, and maybe one of the white ones will be thornless........ I think I'm as excited as you are! Wish it didn't take so long!!

• User
    15 years ago

Be aware that thornlesness is a recessive trait, and Darlow's Enigma likes to make a lot of very thorny seedlings, so no matter what you cross it with, you can expect most (or all) of the offspring to be moderately to extremely thorny. To develop thornless varieties its necessary to work with two parents that are known to produce at least some thornless offspring. The Basye thornless breeders are a good place to start, and Ralph Moore's thornless work may be useful as well. Highly recommended for thornless breeding is Kim Rupert's Indian Love Call, which when mated with another parent that tends towards thornlesness, will generate a high percentage of thornless offspring. Indian Love Call pollen placed on even Darlow's Enigma just might give you a small number of thornless or near thornless offspring.

Regards,
    Paul

Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your input! I did look up Kim Rupert's Indian Love, and I am part Cherokee, so it did intrigue. BUT It's not white or anything close. I have ordered Blush Noisette for a mate to Darlows. It is mostly thornless. And it's blossoms are lovely. My question now is, who should be the mom and who should be the dad? Any suggestions? I will harvest the pollen from both, but I'd like to know which is most likely to produce less thorns. The mom or the dad aka the sperm doner.

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

I am wondering whether my Blush Noisette is, in fact, Blush Noisette. Mine is nowhere near thornless.

Robert

Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmm Robert, I posted a link below that says it's almost thornless. You have me worried now, but I still like this rose, thorns or none, AND as Paul said, Darlow's Enigma likes to produce thorny seedlings. I'll just hope for a delicious miracle!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blush Noisette Description

• Andyswife
    10 years ago

I was searching the internet to see if Darlows Enigma had a patent on it yet. I noticed a question about its history.

My former boss, the co-owner of an heirloom rose garden in 01 was propagating D.E. so he was worried about patents and such. He was a very nice man and liked me a lot so we would chat. He and his wife would travel the world talking and purchasing roses and this is the story he told me about the wonderful Darlows Enigma rose that he adored.

Supposedly a friend of his, A member of the Seattle Rose Society, lived in an old district of Seattle and would go for walks every morning. He could smell a wonderful rose scent and upon difficult investigation he noticed a large shrub that was growing behind someones fence and under the shade of an overgrown tree. He was sure it was a rose but couldnt identify it from his distance and never saw one grow in complete shade like that. The house was a bit run down and not very welcoming so he kept his distance but was obsessed to get a view into this backyard. Finally he told the rose club about it and they went and investigated. Turns out an elderly gentleman had always owned the home and his wife, that had passed many years ago, had loved her garden and her roses and had planted one of every kind in their back yard. With his sadness he had let her once beautiful yard go to shambles. Darlows was growing next to an old shrub rose and the remnants of a hybrid T. The team took pictures and cuttings, sent them to the rose society using the mans either first or last name. I seem to remember the society was not at all welcoming to DE and finally allowed it to be called a rose.

I have no clue if all of this is true this is all second hand and about 13 years later. I always found it to be a sweet story and I adore my DE.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I did get married without a crown of thorny DE in my hair, and we have a new home. I am going to take cuttings of DE because I have places for her, and for Blush Noisette. 1.5 acres shouldn't be a stretch for those!

• Andyswife
    10 years ago

Well congrats on the wedding, sorry about the crown. Im planning on encasing our 5 acres in Darlows. It will be entoxicating! And the only thing the deer or my peacocks dont destroy :D I call him a him.

Original Author
    10 years ago

5 acres of DE? OMG!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21