Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dessert Rose, Camelia & Azaleas

Posted by bananafan 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 25, 07 at 15:11

I don't know if I could ask questions about these plants here?

Is Desert Rose a kind of rose? Recently I bought one from Walmart and wish to know if I could propagate it.

I also have a few Camelia bushes an Azaleas. Can all these be propagated cuttings?

Your input greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dessert Rose, Camelia & Azaleas

Camellias are very slow to root, and pretty hard to root. I've heard that it's much easier to graft them onto another camellia. Also, it's best to wait until summer if you are going to try and root them. Look it up online, they have some kind of "root prohibiter" in their stems which has to be soaked out by soaking the cuttings in water and .... something else but I can't remember what.
I don't know about azaleas or desert rose, but have learned you can root just about anything as long as you know what time of year to take cuttings.

o

Is Desert Rose a kind of rose? -- No...
You might want to read about the Desert Rose:
Desert Rose Info

Olya

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 19, 07 at 0:08

Azaleas are quite easy to layer--nick a stem close to the bottom of the plant, then pin it to the soil. The stem will grow roots within a few months. When it has quite a few roots I cut the stem from the 'mother' plant, but I leave it until the following spring to build strength, then I can dig it up and have my new plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here