Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have roots on the florist rose

Posted by markiz37 5-6Pocono (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 27, 07 at 16:22

Hi! I buy florist cut roses from grocery store all the time and one of them [Looks like "leonidas"] made it. I see roots all over. It took 4 weeks only. I use Mgleason and George Mander methods. Now, Question is: when repotted do I need to continue heating this rose from the bottom or headlights are enough? Thank you very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have roots on the florist rose

Congrads!! I just bought 2 florist roses to try. Sorry, I can't help but wanted to wish you congrads.

o

Heat from the bottom will help, but is not necessary. If you have the heat available, I would use it.

o

Markiz37. What is the Mgleason method? Could you please give me information about it?

Thank you.

Sengyan

o

Hi Markiz37!

My method is basically just a hybridized version of what George Mander does. I tried his method first, then played around to see if I could get better results. I'll try to civer it here again, but please feel free to ask questions if you do not understand. I actually emailed George about 5 times to get clarification of what he was doing before I started playing with different methods.

First and most important - get some coconut coir. This is the major difference between mine and Georges' method. I find coir to be the best rooting medium available. Once you have that, the rest is easy. You'll need the following;

Rubbermaid dishpan. Mine measures about 11"x 14"x 5". You'll place containers in here. Next, find some small containers. I use 2 3/4 inch by 6 inch deep containers. That would be 7 cent X 15.25 cent for the Alberta crowd. Next, go to a fabric store a get 1 meter of elastic, like you would get for clothing. It is usually white in color. Next, go to a hardware or paint store and grab a roll of 2 mil thick clear plastic. You'll also need a CHEAP florescent light fixture and bulbs while you are there. The fixtures are about $10 for a 4 foot type. They take two bulbs for each fixture. Again, cheap is good here. Last, you'll need rooting hormone. You might want to start out with what your local gardening center sells. I use Rhizopon AA#3 powder, but that can be expensive if you are just starting out.

Now you can make your cuttings. I like to really would the cuttings and then stick in hormone. There have been studies done showing that cuttings that are wounded root more easily than those that were just cut at 45 degree angle. After dipping in hormone, place in pot. When you are finished, place all containers in dishpan and spray leaves with water. Then cover with the 2 mil plastic. Use the elastic to keep plastic in place. A staple gun works well for this. Now place dishpan directly under the lights. I place as close to the lights as I can without actually touching the fixture. You can also use bottom heat, but keep the temp below 75 degrees (24 c). Leave alone for a few weeks, and then lift plastic and spray leaves. I usually start to see roots also now. Cover and check weekly.

Here is the link to the George mader site.

Here is a link that might be useful: George Mander Roses of Excellence

o

How do you support the plastic?

o

If you are talking about the plastic over the disphpan, then with elastic, like what you would use if making a pair of pants. I wrap it around the disphpan, then staple together at one end with a heavy duty wood stapler.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here