Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gr8heather

Do I need to repot my rooted roses?

gr8heather
11 years ago

I started these roses in the summer, but I kept them inside because they were still so small. I'm glad I did, because it has been down to -15 degrees here.

My husband got me a grow light for Christmas, and the roses have really taken off. How do I tell when I need a bigger pot? I have added a photo of my rose that has the most roots, I imagine that one should be re potted. My other roses have around half that many roots or less. How long can they stay in these small containers before it starts to affect them?
They are already crowded as it is under the grow light, so bigger pots might be a problem.

Comments (8)

• gr8heather
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picture of the full plant.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

They can exist as they are for quite a while, but they will probably be more vigorous if they are put into larger pots sooner rather than later. It doesn't do the plant any good to have a dense layer of roots around the bottom and sides of the pot. Eventually, once they are either repotted into larger containers or set out in the ground, they'll have to grow through that to develop the root system they need to be what they can be. As long as the drainage is good and they receive all the other necessities they require, they can be maintained like that for the foreseeable future. Hopefully, until the weather is appropriate for you to plant them outside. If you can accommodate larger pots with their correspondingly larger plants now, go for it. If you can't, nurse them along until they can go out. You aren't going to kill them by not repotting yet. You'll know when they must be repotted by their performance. They'll stagnate and start looking miffed at you. You will know it when you see it. Kim

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

Ideally, I'd repot them. I am willing to put them into quart pots for the winter. Larger than that, and it has to be a special rose to dedicate that much space for it.

There is nothing magical about a grow light. I've grown a lot of plants under plain old fluorescent bulbs. For roses, the best advice I received was to buy a 4 bulb fixture. It's a considerably bigger investment than a shop light, but still considerably less than anything official for plants.

• remy101
    11 years ago

How did you propagate, what was you procedure? I tried so many times I always fail.

• gr8heather
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys! I got a new light setup for these that is a 2 light 4 ft. t8 shop light with 6500K Bulbs. They are doing GREAT under the lights. I re potted the larger one, and I will probably re pot some more as soon as I get time :) Awesomely... The one I re potted (with all of the roots in the photo) is my favorite. It is growing the best! It is a very pretty miniature that I got from a rose garden during the summer. The blooms are a mixture of bright orange and yellow petals. Very excited to see it bloom again!

remy101,

I do the following to root my roses:

I like to take the cutting from a branch that has had a bloom that has finished blooming.

I cut it so that I will have 2 sections of leaves, then I cut the spent bloom off the top.

I put the cutting immediately into water while I get more cuttings, prepare the soil, etc. I like to use few drops of a product called "Super Thrive" in the water I soak it in, and in the water for the dirt.

I use miracle grow potting soil in a small container. I get it wet, but not so much that it will be sitting in a puddle. I make a hole in the dirt with a pencil.

I take the rose out of the water, and make a few shallow cuts at the base, then I dip it in Schultz TakeRoot powdered rooting hormone, and stick it in the hole in the dirt.

I put the little pot of dirt and rose into a zip lock bag (I like the 2 gallon ones) then I zip it most of the way up, and blow air into it to create a mini greenhouse.

I put it in a window that does not get direct sun. In my case, a north facing window. I don't touch it for at least 2 weeks, then I lightly pull on the stem to see if it has rooted.

If the stem turns black, it is dead. If it grows mold, it needs to be cleaned off immediately or thrown away so that it doesn't effect the other cuttings.

If you are successful, in 2-4 weeks new leafs will start to grow. If you used clear cups for the dirt, you will start to see white roots in the soil.

I adapted my method from this video I watched when I first started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiL83eUKWY8

This post was edited by gr8heather on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 1:50

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for posting your method, and that wonderful video. I'm going to start a few more today, and put them in the baggie greenhouse!

• gr8heather
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You are welcome! :) I hope that works for you! You can get all of the materials I listed at any store. I got it all at walmart.

• vettin
    9 years ago

Silly question - do you put holes in the bottom of the plastic cups when trying to root these?

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company