Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merlcat

My very first rooted-rose bloom! Woo-hoo!!

merlcat
13 years ago

I am so excited. I spent time during the late summer/early fall starting rose cuttings. I have three outside and I started nine or so indoors and seven took root. I was thrilled with that, for sure. Imagine my surprise when one of them that was doing particularly well shot up a teeny, tiny bud! I did not expect that one bit! It has just begun to bloom and is now opening into a perfectly formed teeny, tiny, barbie doll sized bloom. It looks completely like a long stemmed barbie scale rose.

I'm sure I should have cut it off and not allowed for it to develop for the sake of trying to grow stronger roots, but I just couldn't do it and had to see instead if this tiny bud would bloom. It's growing in a quart sized container with a clear plastic jar turned upside down on top to create a little greenhouse, seemingly happy as could be.

I am just beside myself with joy at my first bloom grown from a cutting I rooted all by myself! I know it may sound silly but I am thrilled at my tiny pink accomplishment!!

Joy!! The rose rooting endeavor is now officially been worthwhile!

Comments (3)

• rosa_crazii
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Now you will be addicted. Make sure your friends like roses too because you will have plenty to give away! Now that I've conquered semi-hardwood and hardwood cuttings I'm trying my hand with roses from seed. So far . . . nothing.
    Sheri

• merlcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! Yes, I pretty much am addicted! I spent the summer obsessing about roses and it has not been any different this winter. One of my fathers rose cuttings is the one currently blooming. I took pictures today.

I have a couple that only have two leaves, but they seem to have great roots going. I got them from the head gardener/landscaper for one of the bigger property owners in town here. He takes care of multiple business properties and rentals and happened to be pruning some roses at a local tea house at the time. He offered me the cuttings. I don't know what rose it is so I just tagged it "tea house climber". They seem okay, despite the lack of top growth. They had pretty good root systems when I removed them from their baggies and potted them up into their individual greenhouses. I'm hoping for the best.

The ones I am most thrilled about are a couple from the local library. It is a single petaled pink with a white eye and it is so sweet. They are always in bloom all season and are vigorous and healthy. I took many pictures this summer intending on posting them to see if anyone could identify it but haven't yet. They look somewhat like Ballerina, if I recall the name correctly. I don't think it is carefree beauty because I think the bushes have been there far too long to be that. Either way it is a sweetie and now I have two of them, too!

Again, JOY!!

And, yes, soon I will have roses for all!!

• steve1980
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Nothing like the emotional bond you develop with your very own "baby"! Now you can make grandkids, and give the away to people you care about a lot, and watch how those "babies" grow and mature over the years.

A shared joy is a joy multiplied many times over! I bought a Memorial Day from KMart (!!) for $6.59 at a clearance sale. Not in the greatest condition, it gradually recovered in a 10 gallon pot & TLC. It sends out a few lovely blooms that I bring to co-workers. Even in the dead of winter, it is a true sport under a $10 shoplight indoors, setting a SINGLE perfect bloom every 6-8 weeks. I bring that flower as a tiny gift to the people at work. The fragrance cheers them up no end and they get the biggest kick that a rose can survive under a cheapo shoplight all winter in cold, dark Ithaca. It is amazing what roses can do to lift people's spirits, how they connect to something deep in us, in a way orchids or other flowers cannot.

So carry on with your Rose Mission. Give rose babies away. You will make LOTS of people happy. Be well.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services