Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_co_gw

seeds: warning, extremely dumb question

michelle_co
17 years ago

When the seed is stratified, and the little new plant material blob emerges, is that a leaf that comes out first, or a root? Do I plant it pointing up or down?

One brave seed has hatched. Please spare me a clue about what to do next.

:-) Cheers,

Michelle

Comments (7)

• GawdinFever
    17 years ago

Actually, Michelle; if you plant it now it doesn't really matter. It will follow the light and the root the soil. Just lay it on top of your well-draining planting medium and then sprinkle some of the medium on top. I've found that if you bring them out of there moist environment too quickly it does them no good. Cover them loosely for awhile with something to hold the moisture in. Just make sure it's vented! It's the root that shows first.

• bama82
    17 years ago

The root emerges first.

Mark

• lionessrose
    17 years ago

It is the root :o) I hear there are not dumb questions, except the one you don't ask ... I too wasn't sure when my first seeds took root last winter, I didn't ask and planted the root up rather than down and lost them all. Did a little research and learned to plant the root down. The first 2 leaves, not true leaves but cotyledons are inside the seed shell, the shell will fall off. I used soil made for seedlings, I found it to work the best. Also, if you are in a cold climate, I found they need both heat and light. A heating pad under the container set on low-medium worked well, with the growing light approx. 1-2 inches above the top of the little guys. I also found using 1 part peroxide mixed with 9 parts water used for watering improved growth, I lost very few seeds with this mixture. I used a spray jug to water them, you don't want them too wet, just damp and never let the soil dry out. I used small containers for first planting then transplanted them into a larger container after they had a good 3-4 sets of leaves. Good luck and keep us posted! The Lioness
    {{gwi:1235677}}

• michelle_co
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all for the very gracious replies. :-)

Cheers,
    Michelle

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    17 years ago

If that is a dumb question, here is a dumb answer. When in doubt on this sort of thing, plant them sideways. Then the plant itself can figure it out, without any major gyrations.

• michelle_co
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks MG, great minds think alike. That's exactly what I did with the first one, before this thread had any answers. The leaves haven't popped up through the sand yet... Does that part take a while? The seed is sitting on a light potting mix, and covered with a tiny bit of sand. I can just barely see the seed hull. It's in a pop bottle, so it's staying humid.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• mmmgonzo
    17 years ago

bump.. i want to know more.

I have a few in the fridge that have a root showing I guess.

My other question to all: is now the time to plant seeds (they have been in the fridge for 2 months). Even if no root is showing??

Also, if I harvest from a hip now still on the bush, since we have had such cold weather can I plant those now also?
    Or do they need some fridge time?

Thanks, and Michelle I am glad you asked this question!
    Marleah

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions