Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_co_gw

Where to buy Dr. Huey rootstock?

michelle_co
17 years ago

Hi,

Is there a good place to get clean Dr. Huey rootstock for grafting?

Thanks,

Michelle

Comments (10)

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

Are you in too much of a hurry to root some cuttings of it? I've got tons of it from one huge bush, but it probably isn't "clean". The darn thing looks as healthy as a horse though. Taken end of May 2006. Somebody here id'ed as Dr. Huey. It is suckers from a grafted rose that died.

You probably want to get started with it now to have some ready for next season.

I've done nothing to it for years, no water, anything, except whack off long shoots that stick out so it's hard to walk that narrow area or mow past it.

{{gwi:1235682}}

• michelle_co
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the offer, that's very nice of you. :-) I am hoping to buy a parent plant or bareroot bundles from a place that offers it guaranteed virus free... I can take cuttings here, but am not sure if the parent is virused or not.

I was glad to see on another thread that you got a cutting or two to root. :-)

Cheers,
    Michelle

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

Yes, it was bittersweet. Just the two. But they seem to be doing ok. Thanks. I'll keep trying. I've still got to get them through the rest of the winter and hardened off outside again.

Did you see on the old thread of yours I resurrected where I asked about the proportions of your rooting medium and how you do your dishpans?

I think you said you used peat, vermiculite and coir. Vermiculite alone was a disaster for me; it got too dry compared to the peat/pearlite George recommended.

I think I would have gotten a few more if I hadn't screwed up potting two, didn't cover those up again and leaves immediately shrivelled, probably not a mature enough root system for one thing, and could have left the others outside longer. The peat/pearlite definitely worked better but I restuck some when I brought them in and they all rotted. One is still green doing nothing :-(. A light tug and it resists. All (but maybe one) of the last batch (7 or 8 cuttings) rooted, but only one lived through potting up. Somehow it never lost all its original leaves either like most of the rest did.

The last baby where I ruined two of the last three, I left it much longer and the roots actually did finally grow through one of the holes. Then when I tapped it out, a bunch of stuff fell off but there was a huge gob of roots. I handled them VERY GENTLY! And covered the pot with the bottle, now plastic held up with bamboo sticks letting a little air in. I'm afraid to take it off but think I should at some point . . .

Good luck w/your Dr. Huey and grafting. You are a real trooper and a big help and encouragement to boot.

• jbcarr
    17 years ago

The UC Davis FPS program sells virus indexed rose cuttings for both root stock, and popular varieties in commerce. The patented varieties require permission from the patent holder, but the root stocks are not patented. It looks like they are geared towards commercial buyers, but they may sell to a hobbyist.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis FPS Rose Program

• weldontx
    17 years ago

UCDavis does sell to individuals and now is the time to order before they begin pruning. I ordered 2 yrs ago and got very nice cuttings.

• michelle_co
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, I will check into that program. I didn't know if they would sell to individuals, but will find out and post back.

• foxgardeneruga
    11 years ago

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am very interested in aquiring some dr. huey rootstock on which to do some of my own grafting and budding. I am located in Georgia. Is there somewhere I could get my hands on even one plant which I could multiply via cuttings? I would like to try my hand at this.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Vintage Gardens has it currently available on their site.

http://www.vintagegardens.com/roses.aspx?cat_id=29

If you want stock cleaned of Rose Mosaic Virus, order it from Foundation Plant Services at UC Davis and root it yourself. Information on how to do it is below. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Huey at UC Davis

• foxgardeneruga
    11 years ago

Thank you very much. I appreciate the help. If I order from vintage gardens, is there a significant chance of receiving a virus-infected plant even though they say their roses are "virus indexed"?

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21