Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott_drucker

wanting to trade and/or buy some antique rose cuttings

To whom it may concern,

I would love to buy and/or trade some antique rose cuttings. I live in the South East in Chattanooga TN (1.5 hrs north of Atlanta, GA.... in zone 6b (many cold weather and some warm weather varieties do well here).... where it is near impossible to find antique roses in nurseries. I have bought many online at the Antique Rose Emporium and wherever possible. I have done some rose rustling and taken cuttings of ones growing on the "edges" of my historic neighborhood, but I am always wanting to plant more. Please let me know what you have and I will tell you what I have.... I especially like the ramblers and the climbers with very full flowers...but like most everything except oranges and hybrid Teas (not old fashioned). I also love David Austin roses but have only had a couple so far do well in our very humid and hot summers...would like more input on ones that do well with no chemicals.

Thanks,

Scott

Comments (4)

• aquawise
    14 years ago

I have 4 old roses I can do cutting form from you! The names of one is Harison yellow. Blooms in May lasts for weeks.
    The other 3 are yet unknown by name but they are all 100+ year old Damask roses. going to work with Merilyn Heller here at GW to get that done this summer. The fallowing names are very likley these three plants. Not positive yet.
    La Villede Bruxelles
    York - Lancaster
    La Bella Sultane
    I also have seeds for some of these as well as a red and a white Rugosa rose.

• sjgardengal
    14 years ago

Have you try your local municipal rose garden? We have one in San Jose, CA that has many old fashioned varieties along with hybrid teas. I volunteered many years ago trimming roses. I got some rose cuttings from them. We have hot summer(dry heat) with mild winters. Roses do well here. I have good luck with Bishop Castles-David Austin rose. Don't get Janet. I had it in a big pot and got toasted in the heat last summer. Bishop Castle has pink cup like flowers with many petals. It also have a wonderful old rose fragrance. It's easy to start from cuttings too. It has an arching habit and grows to 4' wide in 2 yr. I don't spray or use chemicals on my roses. I don't even fertilize them. They pretty much fend for themselves. Flagstaff, Graham Thomas, Abraham Darby and Crown Princess Margareta are good choices too. I don't have them in my yard but other people in our areas recommend them. See the link below.

I also like Juliet Child(hybrid teas), angel face, Oklahoma. Juliet Child is a pretty yellow rose that looks like old fashioned rose and has a light fragrance. I had mistaken it for DA's Golden celebration when it bloomed the first year in my garden. It doesn't get as big and rambling as DA's. That's why I like it. Angel face and Oklahoma are very fragrant and good choices too.

I hope this gives you some ideas. I also have some no id roses that are very fragrant. If you want to trade, send me email off line.

Here is a link that might be useful: David Austin roses

• ealoudermilk
    13 years ago

Hi Scotty,
    I live in the Chattanooga area as well, just moved here a few months ago and haven't had any luck at all finding ogrs or DA's locally either. If you do happen to find roses somewhere close pls let me know that would be great and I will do the same.
    I had to leave all my beautiful 50+ roses and garden behind when my husband lost his job so am starting over from scratch.

• txaggiegirl
    13 years ago

I have 22 species of Old Garden Roses and rooted cuttings...These are all prior to 1925 and the oldest is 1620 discovery...please email for listing if you are interested.

Thanks, MaryAnn

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County