Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Second batch of burrito method roses started today

Kippy
11 years ago

I saw my neighbor was busy pruning today and was so excited I ran out of the house with my box, paper and pen....but no keys.

She was almost done, so what I get will be a surprise but only by which of the three she was pruning; Louise Odier, Baby Blanket and a Bonica (maybe Super Bonica?) Guess these will have to stay in pots til they bloom and I figure out what is what!

My Icebergs are in little plastic cups, hoping for roots next.

Comments (6)

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

Good luck Kippy

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Fun!!!! I love a mystery! I'm glad you caught her pruning...can't let those cuttings go to waste :)

Tammy

• Kippy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to take them with me to moms on Monday and forgot to bring the little pots/rooting cacti mix home until today.

But wow, all of them seem to have big calluses, buds swelling and very happy looking. Of course I have no idea what I have, but a bunch of thorny pinks that will be running along the chicken side of the fence. So it will not really matter in the end. My Icebergs are looking pretty good too, but no sign of roots in the cups yet.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Ohhh, Baby Blanket has evil thorns - I seem to run in to it every time I mow the grass next to it!

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Here's a link that describes and illustrates the 'burrito' method of propagation:

http://pushingtheroseenvelope.blogspot.com/2011/05/wrapping-cuttings.html

Here is a link that might be useful: The 'Burrito' method of rooting rose cuttings

• Kippy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just an update:

So far the first batch of Icebergs are doing well. Not seeing roots in the bottoms of the cups yet, but they seem to be green and plump with nice growth starting.

The second batch is also doing well. And happy in their cups of gritty cacti soil.

And the third batch, each started a week after the one before, of Mr Lincolns is doing the best so far! I had gotten busy and forgot that I had set the "burrito" down and forgot to put it in the cool garage for the first week.

BUT, this is the first batch that came out of the burrito wrappers with little white roots pocking out. Looks successful....too bad I really did not want that many Mr Lincolns.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath