Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bebble_gw

starting seeds - which would you do?

bebble
18 years ago

OK - I know I should have removed the seeds from the hips sooner but I got busy and forgot until today.

Mostly OP Cardnal Hume along w/ a couple Fairy and a couple of who knows.

Seeds are out and a quick soak for about 10 - 15 min.

Right now I have them between damp paper towels in sealed containers in the fridge.

I could of course take them out and try something to do w/ outside. Tonight it's going to be 30 outside but that changes to 50's and 60's in the blink of an eye.

First yr to try this - just wondering what anyone else does or would do ... feel free to post your methods would be nice to build up a collection of different ways all in one place!

Comments (10)

• lionessrose
    18 years ago

Hello there. This too is my first year and attempt @ propagation from seed. (I do not know what my babies are or will be. I don't even know the mother plant(s) of my seeds. I gathered seeds from several locations in my area with mother(s) unknown.) I think, from research and the method I have used, I would just let them stay in the fridge. I live in Idaho with approx. 8 inches of snow on the ground, thus I don't think I should try germinating outdoors in my area. To date I have had approx. 65-ish seeds germinate in the fridge over the past 4 months. I first soaked the seeds in water and peroxide:1 part peroxide, 9 parts water, for just a few hours. Then, placed the seeds in a paper towel damp with the water/peroxide solution. Placed the paper towel and seeds in a plastic lidded container in the bottom drawer of fridge. I would check the seeds every so often and give them a misting with the water/peroxide solution, just a little, not too much, not too often. Around 12 weeks after placing them in the fridge I had a few seeds begin to germinate. Here are a few of my germinated seed, seedlings:
    {{gwi:1235746}}
    Here is my biggest baby, 1st pic:12/28/05, 2nd pic:01/16/06 3rd pic:01/19/06:
    {{gwi:1235747}}
    Good luck. Hope my opinion has helped. The Lioness :o)

• garden2garden
    18 years ago

My first year at this too. I did the same as both of you. Put them in the fridge Nov. 3. I checked them once a week or so. Just today I noticed the little white swelling on a few of the bigger ones that I'm pretty sure is the root forming. It looks like when a baby is getting a tooth when it's just beginning to push through the gums. Very exciting. But a lesson in patience.

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

I put my seeds in plastic sandwich bags with moist potting mix and leave in the fridge for three months. Then I spread the seed mix on top of quart-size containers of potting mix and put outside in the elements. The seeds are timed to come out of the fridge April 1st- May 1st. I'm sure I don't get the highest germination rates that I could but I raised a dozen seedlings last year, and several became decent-sized plants in one year. It's a really easy method.

• bebble
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks - I hope mine do as well, love to hear all the different ways!

I always prowel through the propigation forms looking for new "babies" to see. I really can't wait to see what I might have. Of course, I have way tooooo many personalities and hobbies; therefore, my roses suffer a little. I actually started a La Marne from my Granny's yard but it died when I forgot where I put it and it dried out. I promise to do better this yr. Pls. If you get pics. post them of your blooms all three of you!!!

Thank goodness I'm blessed w/ a long season of heat so my seeds will prob. sprout. (I really love my Cardinal Hume - no idea why, just do, and want to see babies sooooo badly.)

Once again, send pics - Brandy

• lionessrose
    18 years ago

A bloom or not a bloom ... Only time will tell :o) Two of my seedlings have what I think just might be my first blooms. They look like little buds but just might be my imagination at work ... Here is a pic of the first:
    {{gwi:1235748}}2nd:{{gwi:1235749}}
    Here is my biggest baby, I have cut her back due to drooping leaves. I think I may have over watered her, but not sure if that was the problem:
    First pic 02/01/06 - 2nd pic 02/07/06
    {{gwi:1235750}}
    Keep us posted on your seeds. The Lioness

• lionessrose
    18 years ago

Okay, so not quite a "bloom" yet, but I am pretty sure not my imagination at work ... Will she ever open?? It has been a long 2 weeks of waiting, OPEN DARN IT, OPEN!! Here she was nearing 2 weeks ago: 2nd picture, her today, spots on her are water, she had a misting before her picture
    {{gwi:1235752}}{{gwi:1235754}}
    Her color is, at this time, an off/cream white with a pink-ish tint. I thought I might include her height, she is all of 1&1/2 inches tall from bottom of cane to tip of bloom :o)
    I have 2 more seedlings with little buds, so I am now up to 4. I went back and researched the mother plants. Of the 18 mommies I gathered hips from, I now know some seedlings may be from:Chicago Peace, Falstaff, Melody Parfumee, Tigress, Sierra Skye, French Perfume and or Tropicana. The other 11 mommies are at this time still unknown. I plan to reaseach a little more when the weather warms up. Hope your seeds are doing well. The Lioness

• joan_m
    18 years ago

Lioness,

Congratulations on your first seedling bloom! I would suggest however, that you cut off the bud on the plant in the picture. I have found that seedlings that are allowed to bloom when they only have a few leaves are much more prone to die after the bloom opens. By cutting the bud off, the rose has time to build up a bit more strength before having to support a bloom. I know thatÂs hard, but you will probably see a new bud started in a few more weeks.

Joan

• lionessrose
    18 years ago

I hope curiosity doesn't kill the seedling ... but I just couldn't do it. 6 months of waiting for this day, I just couldn't :o) I did try, the clippers were inches from her, I argued with myself for hours. In the end I decided she really should have 4 true leaves. When she had her 2 first true leaves they started turning brown and wilting so I clipped them off, (January 5th, 2006). She survived the leaf clipping, grew 2 new sets of leaves and was the first to bud. So, based on this I won the argument with myself and she is now a fully opened, bloomed rose with 15 or 16 petals. (I can not tell if one of the petals is 1 petal or 2. I should know by tomorrow)... so, without further ado:
    {{gwi:1235756}}{{gwi:1235759}}
    ISN'T SHE BEAUTIFUL!! No proud Mommy here :o) TeeHee
    She has now turned to a egg shell like white with, as far as I can tell, no pink tinting. Not sure where the color went. Just vanished. I hope to give her another day, (or 2), of life before clipping her. As far as scent goes, I can't smell a thing. The family, 4 out of 4, claim she smells like a rose. The flu has had me stuffy, so I can't say either way.
    Full of pride and taking a bow ... Lioness :o)

• bojo96
    18 years ago

Way to go on your first bloom!! She's beautiful.
    Now I'm losing all patience on seeing my first blooms! LOL
    First is 4th of July, 2nd pic is Rambling Red seedlings.
    Both were open pollinated, so who knows what's going to happen. LOL
    {{gwi:1235762}}
    {{gwi:1235765}}
    Waiting on 170 more seeds to sprout. Will be happy if 1/3 of them do.

• lionessrose
    18 years ago

Hang in there ... Patiencs is a virtue :o)
    Just when I thought I would never have an open bloom ... not only was there the first, but I am now up to three :o)
    2 of my other seedlings opened today:
    {{gwi:1235767}}{{gwi:1235770}}
    The first is white in color with a tiny hint of a pink tint and 6 petals. The 2nd is also white with more of a light maroon tinting color and has 5 petals.
    I clipped the first bloom, she is now drying in a book and will one day become a bookmark :o) Yours too will come... Lionessrose

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz