Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
setting hips and rebloom

Posted by canadian_rose zone 3a (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 20:30

I have a rose that I want to make about 4 different crosses with as a seed parent. So with 4 hips on the bush - would the rose rebloom elsewhere on the plant or would that be enough to stop rebloom?
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: setting hips and rebloom

Yes, no, and maybe. Some roses ignor the hips relative to rebloom, and some are supposed to have less or no further blooming. You will probably have to take notes for each plant to answer your question for each plant.

o

Carol, if the rose in question is a modern HT, floribunda, climber or mini, it'll probably continue blooming. For those more closely related to species or OGRs, perhaps it might not. What rose, in particular, are you referring to? Kim

o

"In contrast, modern roses (hybrid tea, floribunda, and grandiflora cultivars) are repeat blooming and must be deadheaded to encourage continuous bloom."

The above is an example of a "rule" that is the opposite of a statement made in this thread. Which is right?

I suggest that both may be and that neither may be. Nature is complex. It may be another factor such as the length of daylight, amount of moisture, daytime heat, nighttime cold, amount of nitrogen available, whether a rose show is approaching, etc. that turns off flowering in place of the presence of hips and/or along with the presence of hips plus the ancestry of the particular rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: links with opposite rule

o

I was thinking of Night Owl and Memorial Day as seed parents. But now I'm thinking Night Owl (has a lot to offer) but I want a more fuller bloom on the offspring - so maybe I should go with Memorial Day and something else from my stable of roses. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here